Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm no lefty but does giving Boris way more power then her make you feel secure?

Put it like this, Boris is not a great PM, but I'd trust his judgement over the three amigos, Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott 8 days a week.

And Boris has a Home Secretary to deal with the work Abbott would undertake, so I don't see your point.

Put it like this, Boris is not a great PM, but I'd trust his judgement over the three amigos, Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott 8 days a week.

And Boris has a Home Secretary to deal with the work Abbott would undertake, so I don't see your point.
Oh well, if you refuse to see another point of view...

^ Exactly what is the other point of view? Explain it to me.
You ask a question and you don't like the answer it appears.

^ Exactly what is the other point of view? Explain it to me.
You ask a question and you don't like the answer it appears.
My point is that, currently, politicians from all sides are twats.

You seem to favour one side more than the other.

I don't.

But since there are only seven days a week, that would be a problem :devil:

There's a brand new and lucrative tax stream waiting to be enacted. Legalise cannabis and tax it. Licence growers to produce approved strains suitable for both medicinal and recreational use. At a stroke, unsafe illegal cannabis farms will vanish as will the migrant draw for those who know there is work there (even if they don't anticipate just how horrific the 'job' actually is), a healthy new revenue stream for the treasury is created, and the decriminalisation of millions of people who are at risk from being criminalised for using a substance less harmful to health and society that alcohol.
We are promised a bold future - where is it? Same old same old (from some time last century) is all that appears to be on offer. How disappointing.

There's a sweet spot somewhere.

If you tax it too high, the illegally-grown Cannabis market will continue as before.

Tax it too low, and the tax revenue will not be significant enough.

Sounds like a fairly straightforward calculation... but you can bet that the government
- any government - will get it all wrong.

The % of government income that comes from corporation tax is dwarfed by what it gets from PAYE, NI, and VAT. So a % increase in corporation tax has to be disproportionately large to have an effect.

So really the only way to raise significant money using small % changes is through PAYE, NI, and VAT. The problem as has been discussed befoer is that can have a consequential effect on spending and a knock on to the wider economy and to other tax yields.

I never quite understood the rationale behind Corporation Tax, or why it's sensible or fair to have such a tax.

The money is taxed anyway when profits are extracted from the company... so why tax money that remains in the company? I just can see the logic.

Obviously, the government wants every penny it can get.... but other than that I just can't see why profits that remain in the company (and not taken-out and paid to shareholders as dividends) should be taxed.

I never quite understood the rationale behind Corporation Tax, or why it's sensible or fair to have such a tax.

The money is taxed anyway when profits are extracted from the company... so why tax money that remains in the company? I just can see the logic.

Obviously, the government wants every penny it can get.... but other than that I just can't see why profits that remain in the company (and not taken-out and paid to shareholders as dividends) should be taxed.

It started off being simply a tax on profits ...because it was an easy target. Then, as smart (?) lawyers got in on the act, it became a tax on, basically, the size of the company. Then, as companies became able to shop around for places of minimum taxation (think Liberian tankers), they sought countries with the least "corporation tax" levels.

If the UK manages to shake off the EU shackles, Ireland is f*cked and the EU is not far behind ... for tax reasons, though not the same.

I would object to a 4-day week on moral grounds.

If our own consumerism does not go down, then us working less simply means that somewhere else on the planet someone has to work harder.

Which is essentially the principle behind Colonialism, where the food and goods from the Colonies made it possible for people in old Blighty to have an easy life.

So you are saying that - according to Corbyn - the money for public spending will come from closing tax avoidance loopholes and clamping down on tax evation?.

No I'm not - because he hasn't said that. Like Johnson, he's pledging huge scale borrowing to pay for the majority of his spending promises.

If so then I have two questions:

a. Do you think that a Labour government - or any government - can rely on fighting tax avoidable as a dependable source of income, to the extent that it can commit to public spending on the back of it?.

No I don't. See post #13350.

Does anyone think that ??

b. Closing tax avoidance loopholes will understandably apply mainly to wealthy individuals and corporations, for obvoius reasons. But when it comes to tax evasion, will Corbyn's plan also apply it to everyone, including less affluent individuals? E.g. cash-in-hand workers, self employed, corner shops, etc? Surely the temptation to increase one's earning via illegal tax evasion isn't the preserve of the rich?

I don't know but I haven't heard him say as much. Maybe you could champion egalitarian tax avoidance clampdowns ?

My point is that Corbyn conveniently promises to fund public spending from sources that will not antagonise Labour's target demographics, which are the working men and women of Britain, those who are worse-off financially a variety of reasons, weaker immigrant communities, etc etc.

So Corbyn's message is: we will spend more money on you people, but don't worry the money will come from sources that won't affect you.

Is that really his message or simply your particular interpretation of it ? And which target demographic will expect to benefit from Johnson's tax cuts ? It's not hard to work out even though, like so much of what he says, they are unspecified. But hey, let's not worry about detail; a tax cut is a tax cut, right ? Now don't forget to vote....

And this is exactly what Theresa May described as The Magic Money Tree.

No it isn't.

She was referring to supposedly inexhaustible funds from unspecified sources.

No I'm not - because he hasn't said that. Like Johnson, he's pledging huge scale borrowing to pay for the majority of his spending promises.

No I don't. See post #13350.

Does anyone think that ??

I don't know but I haven't heard him say as much. Maybe you could champion egalitarian tax avoidance clampdowns ?

Is that really his message or simply your particular interpretation of it ? And which target demographic will expect to benefit from Johnson's tax cuts ? It's not hard to work out even though, like so much of what he says, they are unspecified. But hey, let's not worry about detail; a tax cut is a tax cut, right ? Now don't forget to vote....

No it isn't.

She was referring to supposedly inexhaustible funds from unspecified sources.
Well, you have ruled-out everything I suggested... so where WILL the money come from, according to Corbyn?

With regards to clamping down on tax evasion across the board, it's actually quite common in some countries. A shopper leaving a shop in Italy for example, could be stopped by a uniformed member of the financial police (Guardia di Finanza) who will ask to see the receipt. If they don't have one, then both the shopkeeper and the shopper will be prosecuted for tax evasion. Harsh, but fair - don't you agree?

Well, you have ruled-out everything I suggested... so where WILL the money come from, according to Corbyn??

?????
Like Johnson, he's pledging huge scale borrowing to pay for the majority of his spending promises.

With regards to clamping down on tax evasion across the board, it's actually quite common in some countries. A shopper leaving a shop in Italy for example, could be stopped by a uniformed member of the financial police (Guardia di Finanza) who will ask to see the receipt. If they don't have one, then both the shopkeeper and the shopper will be prosecuted for tax evasion. Harsh, but fair - don't you agree?

I've no idea and I've never heard of such. If this does actually happen then it sounds like they're clamping down on shoplifting.

I've no idea and I've never heard of such. If this does actually happen then it sounds like they're clamping down on shoplifting.

No, they are clamping down on people who sell or work for cash and evade taxes, and on those who pay cash and evade taxes.

I would hazard a guess that your comment above isn't due to lack of understanding this point, but more due to wishing to ignore this type of unpopular policies?

There is sizeable black economy in every country... and usually the authorities try and fight it to the extent they can.

Somehow, in the UK, the focus is always on 'the rich', no one dares tackle tax evasion at the working men level for fear of losing votes with the masses.

A shopper leaving a shop in Italy for example, could be stopped by a uniformed member of the financial police (Guardia di Finanza) who will ask to see the receipt. If they don't have one, then both the shopkeeper and the shopper will be prosecuted for tax evasion.
Related to this, invoice numbering rules in Italy are very rigid. They must be sequential, and with no gaps in the sequence. This created an issue for any software that used the Oracle Sequence to generate the invoice number, as a transaction deadlock would result in an unused sequence number and thus a gap.

Can a man who lays his wreath upside down be considered suitable for high office?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom