Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What more did you expect of the Guardian?

He was a tenacious but fair interviewer who was determined to get answers for the listeners and he gave no quarter regardless of the politics of those in the studio.

As for him harbouring right wing views, so what? As an individual he would have naturally held his own views on politics etc. I don't see the Guardian criticising those journalists that openly hold left wing views?

Also, why bring his salary into the discussion? The BBC agreed to that salary level (remember that Mr Humphries took a significant voluntary cut later) or does a large salary mean that you are beholden to adopt the views of your employer?

The BBC (Brussels Broadcasting Corporation as was) is a biased organisation as was shown regularly by the tone of the reporting on the Brexit stories, the number of Pro EU guests on Andrew Marr and others programmes.

There often seemed to be a downbeat tone to any suggestion that we, as a country could prosper outside the EU and for a publicly funded organisation that bias is unacceptable.

What more did you expect of the Guardian?

He was a tenacious but fair interviewer who was determined to get answers for the listeners and he gave no quarter regardless of the politics of those in the studio.

As for him harbouring right wing views, so what? As an individual he would have naturally held his own views on politics etc. I don't see the Guardian criticising those journalists that openly hold left wing views?

Also, why bring his salary into the discussion? The BBC agreed to that salary level (remember that Mr Humphries took a significant voluntary cut later) or does a large salary mean that you are beholden to adopt the views of your employer?

The BBC (Brussels Broadcasting Corporation as was) is a biased organisation as was shown regularly by the tone of the reporting on the Brexit stories, the number of Pro EU guests on Andrew Marr and others programmes.

There often seemed to be a downbeat tone to any suggestion that we, as a country could prosper outside the EU and for a publicly funded organisation that bias is unacceptable.

Over the last few days ive discovered Talk Radio. It has been a breath of fresh air with many presenters being openly supportive of Brexit and a right-of-centre outlook on most topics.

Excellent! I remember how many:

Hogs in a firkin

Unelected officials in an EU Commission.

Years since EU accounts have been independently audited and cleared

Bottles of expensive wine in an EU cellar

EU presidents

Ignored national referendums

UK Prime Ministers insulted and ignored

Billions of euros in an EU pension scheme

Times ze clock 'as been ticking

France and Germany have ignored EU rules.

What else have I missed?
...EU own Rules that had to be bent or broken in order to allow most European countries to join the club....

It's good to see that over in the EU, our neighbour has put 100,000 armed police onto the streets to stop New Year celebrations

An exaggeration ? No. It's what France does every New Year's Eve. Not just for covid.

Necessary as 1500 cars were torched on New Year's last year, which was up on the 1,300 that were torched in 2018

Covid: France mobilises 100,000 police to stop New Year's Eve gatherings

My pet hate is motoring experts quoting speeds and acceleration figures in kilometres per hour. As we don’t have kph as a measurement in the UK and our cars have mph speedometers why do they do this?
Same here but where fuel is concerned I use quids as an amount.

My pet hate is motoring experts quoting speeds and acceleration figures in kilometres per hour. As we don’t have kph as a measurement in the UK and our cars have mph speedometers why do they do this?
What i find strange is that i'll think of/plan a car journey in miles but anything cycling related is in Km. Apart from Time Trials, but i don't do those any more! I think it's because most cycling events i do (pre-covid at least) have been on the Continent. Thinking about it though - it's similar with running. 5Km, 10Km. Though when i ran a Marathon at 40Km i was working to a pace at minutes per mile. What a mess! I have got used to doing a quick conversion between miles and Km and normally have Km set up on my car dash and Km on my bike or running GPS. To be honest though i'm still slow whether miles or Km!

Laziness? They are simply quoting the figures as given by the (European) car manufacturers. Can't be ar$ed to convert them to figures more meaningful for UK audiences.

What i find strange is that i'll think of/plan a car journey in miles but anything cycling related is in Km. Apart from Time Trials, but i don't do those any more! I think it's because most cycling events i do (pre-covid at least) have been on the Continent. Thinking about it though - it's similar with running. 5Km, 10Km. Though when i ran a Marathon at 40Km i was working to a pace at minutes per mile. What a mess! I have got used to doing a quick conversion between miles and Km and normally have Km set up on my car dash and Km on my bike or running GPS. To be honest though i'm still slow whether miles or Km!

Definitely better to think in Kms when walking, running or cycling.

Walking 16kms in three hours is better than 10 miles any day of the week.

Ruth Davidson made a complete mockery of the SNP's position on the Brexit deal debate in Holyrood yesterday. Her opening remarks set the tone for the rest of her speech:

This week’s vote is not about EU membership: The United Kingdom hasn’t been a member of the EU since the 31st of January. We’ve already left and there’s no going back. The only options on the table are the deal or no deal and if you vote against the first one then you’re inescapably voting for the second one, and all but the dimmest and blindest SNP loyalists can see that.

Davidson is one of the few in the Scottish Assembly who has the competence and willingness to challenge Sturgeon's narrative, and the latter's face was a picture.

The whole speech can be seen here - Debate: Trade and Co-Operation Agreement between The United Kingdom and The European Union

Definitely better to think in Kms when walking, running or cycling.

Walking 16kms in three hours is better than 10 miles any day of the week.
Swimming pools are mostly measured in metres so that’s self explanatory.

I measure cycling and running in kms because it sounds better (more) and I have loads of friends all over Europe as Strava friends.

Ruth Davidson made a complete mockery of the SNP's position on the Brexit deal debate in Holyrood yesterday. Her opening remarks set the tone for the rest of her speech:

Davidson is one of the few in the Scottish Assembly who has the competence and willingness to challenge Sturgeon's narrative, and the latter's face was a picture.

The whole speech can be seen here - Debate: Trade and Co-Operation Agreement between The United Kingdom and The European Union
we need Ruth Davidson back playing an active and prominent role in Scottish politics

She is very good and I’ve always been impressed with her. She is one of the few in the Scottish Parliament that can actually criticise the SNP

Scotland has been misrepresented by the SNP for far too long but what are the options for Scottish voters? Scottish Labour has crashed and no one north of the border will vote Conservative so what Scotland needs is a unionist party, a party that anti independence voters can vote for. The SNP are riding high because Scotland can see no one else to vote for.

You think?

I would suggest the opposite is true. Ms Sturgeon made an initial jump towards loosening the lockdown in May 2019 and that was about the only actual initiative she came up with - after which she sent quiet. She had to make a decision about schools going back in the autumn and held off because there wasn't an England to copy and had to make her own decision.

Ms Sturgeon has the luxury of not having to deal with the finances and London. At the same time there have been accusations that the SNP found it easy to cancel the Scottish examinations for 2021 because it would hide their educational attainment failings. She announced a £500 payment to NHS and health care workers and then blamed Westminster because it would be taxed (odd that - Scotland sets its own tax thresholds) - and that came at the start vof her party conference and was about buying votes.

She announced a £500 payment to NHS and health care workers and then blamed Westminster because it would be taxed (odd that - Scotland sets its own tax thresholds) - and that came at the start vof her party conference and was about buying votes.
I am continually amazed at Sturgeon's ability to keep hoodwinking the Scottish public into thinking that she's doing a great job, and that she is sincere and honest.

Sevington_Lorry_Park_-6.jpg

Today at Kent lorry park

Tsk tsk.... but France and Remain won the PR war. Ask the woman on the street and she'll tell you that the Port is disrupted.

Sevington_Lorry_Park_-6.jpg

Today at Kent lorry park

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom