Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it looks like Scotland is unable to manage vaccination.

Quite why I don't understand. But I'm now hearing multiple sources complaining about having had vaccination appointments allocated centrally that are then followed up by phone calls *to cancel* from their GP surgery. There seems to be a problem getting allocated supplies to those dispensing them that has been going on for maybe a week.

For everybody else it seems that actually procuring the vaccine and finding enough people to dispense it was the hard part.

Of course Scotland always has to be different. There are allegedly supllies allocated - but just not being called off and delivered to those who can dispense.

Those left with cancelled appointments don't know how long they'll have to wait for new ones.

Scotland's vaccination rate is something like three quarters of that in England.
Not helped at all by refusing help from dental surgeons who are extremely skilled in administering injections. As one recently reported, if he could hit a small area of gum adjacent to a nerve, an intramuscular jab into a bicep is a walk in the park.

We have heard that there are sufficient vaccine doses here, we know there are more than enough people capable of injecting people, so what’s the hold up?

Not helped at all by refusing help from dental surgeons who are extremely skilled in administering injections. As one recently reported, if he could hit a small area of gum adjacent to a nerve, an intramuscular jab into a bicep is a walk in the park.

We have heard that there are sufficient vaccine doses here, we know there are more than enough people capable of injecting people, so what’s the hold up?

Odd, that.

At my local GP surgery the flu jabs are given by a 'healthcare worker' - not sure what their medical qualifications are exactly (though I've never had a reason to complain) - but I doubt that it's higher than dentists'?

Last edited:

Wee Nippy was asked by Andrew Marr on Sunday why only circa 350k jabs had been given out from 700k vaccines supplied, her answer was they were concentrating on care homes

Odd that.

At my local GP surgery the flu jabs are given by a 'healthcare worker' - not sure what their medical qualifications are exactly (though I've never had a reason to complain) - but I doubt that it's higher than dentists?
This is the newspaper article I spotted. For what it’s worth my routine blood tests are always taken by the healthcare assistant with little or no fuss or drama. I think they provide great service and free up doctors for other things.

Attachments

• D7FB7734-EBAD-4CCA-8EC5-5988AA372C0D.jpeg
    D7FB7734-EBAD-4CCA-8EC5-5988AA372C0D.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 11
Wee Nippy was asked by Andrew Marr on Sunday why only circa 350k jabs had been given out from 700k vaccines supplied, her answer was they were concentrating on care homes
She got away with that pathetic answer?

She got away with that pathetic answer?
She gets away with a lot, it’s as if the media have a hidden agenda. Whether that’s to encourage her or set her up for a bigger fall remains to be seen. Apparently she has a couple of Court injunction orders out with full reporting restrictions so I don’t know if this has something to do with it.

At last, the story from AZ's side ..

I liked this bit:

A pro-EU source at the company says, ‘I understand Brexit better now.’

Thankfully we are no longer tied to the EU or we might also be suffering a shortage of Vaccine. Frankly the EU response of I want it, I want it, I want it, sounds much like that of a spoiled brat and can't possibly make a difference to Astra Zeneca's efforts if they are already working 24/7.

Interestingly, until recently and maybe even now, the EU had not approved the AZ vaccine for use. EMA receives application for conditional marketing authorisation of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca - European Medicines Agency maybe 29th January

Reactions: m80
Interestingly, until recently and maybe even now, the EU had not approved the AZ vaccine for use. EMA receives application for conditional marketing authorisation of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca - European Medicines Agency maybe 29th January
That's what I read yesterday.
There seems to be anger at the reduced availability in the eu of a vaccine that may or may not be approved by them for it to be used.

Does the agreement of supply still hold if the eu decide they don't want it?
As a business are AZ merely supplying customers that look to be reliable?

It's partly the usual EU desperation to be seen as a cohesive, credible and unified organisation despite the ongoing evidence to the contrary.

With specific regard to the "EU"vaccination programme, it has been a pretty shambolic and uncoordinated start with a number of member states beginning their own rollout ahead of others.

The threats from the EU suggesting that they will stop vaccine produced in the EU being distributed outside of the bloc are truly pathetic and show how weak the leadership and appointees to senior posts are.

The threats from the EU suggesting that they will stop vaccine produced in the EU being distributed outside of the bloc are truly pathetic and show how weak the leadership and appointees to senior posts are.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard about this. It's the sort of childish tantrum that Trump would have thrown and I suspect they will live to regret it.

I was Brexiteer from the start and never wavered but to be honest it was based on nothing more than instinct. While I would not wish harm to any EU citizen, it's so good to be proved right.

I remember the condemnation about the Government not joining the EU vaccine bid from the Hindsight Parties and media, particularly the BBC.
Perhaps a plateful of humble pie is in order though I won’t hold my breath

So the eu are slow to take up a vaccine programme,
slower to approve the use of various vaccines,
only order delivery of amounts in stages with expectation of going back to the shops for more.

Now they can't get as many of the doses that they have not yet approved for use they would (Germany being the main instigator) prefer to prevent any others getting it.
The hope there being that if the vaccine can't leave the eu it will be used by the eu (I assume).

They are losing the vaccine race, and that means (assuming the vaccines are the Holy Grail in the war against covid) that eu citizens are at greater risk.
They f'k'd up and are now in panic of their member states seeing just how bureaucratically clumsy the eu is.

Last edited:
EU Health Commissioner now demanding AZ divert supplies produced in and for UK, to EU. EU Health Commissioner insists that AZ honours its contracts, except AZ's contract with the UK!

Simultaneously, she says AZ is wrong when AZ says that their contract is "non binding". A complete mischaracterisation worthy of Trump, because AZ never said that their contract was not binding. AZ clarified that it promised to use "best efforts" to deliver, instead of "will" deliver. Both are equally binding; the latter, no ifs and no buts; the former, ifs and buts possible.

UK's AZ contract is also "best efforts" but we have had more time to ramp up production because we started 3 months earlier.

EU Health Commissioner is really not covering herself in glory. This exposes very clearly for me, that EU Commissioners are not always appointed on merit; but on political horse trading.

Fortunately, we are longer bound to listen to these unelected Eurocrats.

I was Brexiteer from the start and never wavered but to be honest it was based on nothing more than instinct.
The importance of instincts are often understated. After all, it's been the main driver of the human race's survival for a few thousand years ;)

AZ clarified that it promised to use "best efforts" to deliver, instead of "will" deliver. Both are equally binding; the latter, no ifs and no buts; the former, ifs and buts possible.
I would be astonished if AZ's contract bound them to anything other than best efforts / best endeavours regarding deliveries. At the end of the day it's a biological process with (in the early days, at least) an unreliable yield, so their contract lawyers would have been either insane or negligent or both to provide an absolute commitment. Looks like the EU contract negotiators may not be as smart as they think they are.

Does anybody think that the UK would restrict exports of vaccine to maintain our own requirements?

I’d like to think we would protect our own interests first but Im not sure. We need only look at the uproar when the overseas aid budget is threatened.

This situation has the potential to turn very ugly.

EU Health Commissioner now demanding AZ divert supplies produced in and for UK, to EU. EU Health Commissioner insists that AZ honours its contracts, except AZ's contract with the UK!

Simultaneously, she says AZ is wrong when AZ says that their contract is "non binding". A complete mischaracterisation worthy of Trump, because AZ never said that their contract was not binding. AZ clarified that it promised to use "best efforts" to deliver, instead of "will" deliver. Both are equally binding; the latter, no ifs and no buts; the former, ifs and buts possible.

UK's AZ contract is also "best efforts" but we have had more time to ramp up production because we started 3 months earlier.

EU Health Commissioner is really not covering herself in glory. This exposes very clearly for me, that EU Commissioners are not always appointed on merit; but on political horse trading.

Fortunately, we are longer bound to listen to these unelected Eurocrats.
I was taught not to use the term "best endeavours/efforts" in contracts as that can be interpreted as you will deliver! Much better to say "reasonable endeavours/efforts".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom