Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you suppose May will still be PM in 8 weeks time?

That's down to her parliamentary colleagues.

I suspect that a few in the Labour Party might watch with envy that such a thing is possible given the leadership sheniigans that they went through with Mr Corbyn.

Of course there may be some in the Labour Party who would be prepared to offer advice on how these things should really be done and suggest that they shift the voting system and open up the voting to anybody willing to cough £3 for the privilege.

Corbyn turned out to be everything the Murdoch press said he wasn't, turned out to have the ability to work out what's actually wrong with this country and delivered a popular manifesto.

Meanwhile May is a lame duck, propped up by Irelands answer to the BNP, with no home of getting any legislation through.

You have to sort out who is actually a worth adversary.

If Mr Corbyn did well because his opponent was a lame duck then any results in his favour could be deemed to be down to her failure and nothing to do with him.

OTOH if you pronounced that Mr Corbyn managed to take on a master of the political arts at the top of their game and strike some blows then clearly the plucky Mr Corbyn is a hero for valiantly taking on this superb opponent and squeezing out a result that while a defeat in numbers was a telling strategic personal victory.

Trouble is that if you watch the likes of Ms Abbot and Ms Thornberry and actually listen to Mr Corbyn you start to worry a bit about them and the relative shambles that Mr Corby presented as opposition.

Maybe after this experience he will show some improvement in the next parliament.

Then again .....

"Jeremy Corbyn has increased Labour’s share of the vote more than any other leader in any other election since Attlee in 1945.

The Labour leaders managed to increase Labour’s vote share by 9.6 per cent, which is just shy of Clement Attlee’s 10.4 per cent swing in 1945.

Since then only Tony Blair (8.8 per cent) has come close to achieving such a significant change with his landslide election win in 1997"

HTH

Labour started these elections with 232 seats, which is the lowest they have ever been since Neil Kinnock.

When this is their starting point, it is easy to make 'huge' gains in spite of the fact they still finished a staggering 56(!) seats behind their main opponent.

This is a major personal achievement for Corbyn no doubt, having managed to shed his far-left oddball rebel image and move the party to the centre while wearing a tailored suit to match, all this in the space of 4 weeks, but for Labour as a party this is only the beginning of a very long path if they want to go back to their former glory as New Labour.

Think about it this way... if you fight Tyson Fury in the ring and manage to remain standing at the end of the last round, this is a massive achievement... but it is not a victory.

Last edited:
Labour started these elections with 232 seats, which is the lowest they havr ever been since Neil Kinnock.

When this is their starting point, it is easy to make 'huge' gains in spite of the fact they still finished a staggering 56(!) seats being their main opponent.

This is a major personal achievement for Corbyn no doubt, having managed to shed his far-left oddball rebel image and move the party to the centre while wearing a tailored suit to match, all in th2r space of 4 weeks, but for Labour as a party this is only the beginning of a very long path if they want to go back to their former glory as New Labour.

I'm in no way criticising or being elitist, but when I see him leave his house, I always think, bloody hell mate, why do you live in such a crappy looking house, when you see a politician being doorstepped, it's usually some leafy west London suburb, looks like he lives on a council estate

Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk

I'm in no way criticising or being elitist, but when I see him leave his house, I always think, bloody hell mate, why do you live in such a crappy looking house, when you see a politician being doorstepped, it's usually some leafy west London suburb, looks like he lives on a council estate

This is interesting.

Corbyn's pay is £137,000 per annum, which puts him at the top 10% of earners.

You would have thought he could afford to live a little....

markjay said:
This is interesting. Corbyn's pay is £137,000 per annum, which puts him at the top 10% of earners. You would have thought he could afford to live a little....

It's Islington. £137k per annum with usual mortgage multiples gets you to £500k. Gets you a 1 bed in a nice part of Islington.

Maybe after this experience he will show some improvement in the next parliament.

Then again .....

First PMQ's are going to be interesting. Will it be the coming Wed?

_96417324_jonsnowtweet.jpg

Is it not refreshing to see a politician living like the rest of us?

Or better to be led by silver spoon merchants leading from the steps of the ancestral pile?

Is it not refreshing to see a politician living like the rest of us?

Or better to be led by silver spoon merchants leading from the steps of the ancestral pile?

Absolutely agree. I'm just stating his house is a bit ropey looking, and very odd considering his salary.

But he's not shed his image or moved the party to the centre, he's moved it to the left.

He most certainly did both... albeit only in the last 4 weeks.

Had he started earlier... he might have been PM now.

I think he understood that the British public do not want his borderline-communist ideology, and made the right adjustments.

I give him full credit for finally putting the party's interest before his own.

Do you suppose May will still be PM in 8 weeks time?

Corbyn will not be.

Labour ran a very clever campaign, he changed his image (on the surface at least) he was managed by people who made him look like a leader, not just in dress but in manner and style.

He is also a very good orator who managed to suppress some of the more radical left wing agenda Momentum etc would have wanted to be centre stage

Labour targeted the 18-25 vote extremely well using social media and appealed to the large number of people who love the idea of getting things for free (those that happily ignore the reality of how things would be paid for)as many suddenly saw student debts being a thing of the past.

Also, many people wanted to shake up the incumbent party, particularly as they had such a lacklustre and incoherent campaign led by a PM who is not a natural in front of the cameras.

Because of this many Conservative supporters voted tactically (listen to "Any answers R4 this pm) and other sources are confirming that this was a tactic used.

Labour were presented with a huge open goal by the Government, the long campaign allowed more and more positive coverage of Mr Corbyn but despite that Labour still lost and by quite a margin.

Last edited:
When is Corbyn going to face the fact that Labour did not win the election and he is not the Prime Minister( and hopefully will never be ) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom