Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mark have you now reconsidered your earlier post?
First you say protest against an election is undemocratic and now you like Phil's post saying the minority should have a voice.

No one sensible is saying direct or violent action is legal, but protesting peaceful is legal and our democratic right. Just because you don't like the message don't deny people a voice.

go to the link above and click on this picture
for further video information on the cladding used.
213398664dc892c44d1bfe3952bf91eecad73adb01e018d1ecbe88ae54d2a8e6_3982242.jpg

Nice to see Sky news are managing to keep up with MBClub.co.uk ;)
Here's what I posted 3 days ago
https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/2480503-post242.html

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/2480559-post248.html
Fair play sky showed more documenation on the revised plans.:thumb:

Last edited:
Mark have you now reconsidered your earlier post?
First you say protest against an election is undemocratic and now you like Phil's post saying the minority should have a voice.

No one sensible is saying direct or violent action is legal, but protesting peaceful is legal and our democratic right. Just because you don't like the message don't deny people a voice.

What, this? :

...What you can't do is leap up and wrest the wheel from the driver, causing the bus to crash. It's also unwise to force the bus to drive around in circles until it runs out of fuel.

What, this? :
No, his 4th point.
You originally denied the right to protest, which is a legal right.

I think what you meant to say was to deny violent protest, which we all would agree.

Maybe something got lost in translation. Either way we both agree with Phil's post, so all is good.

Will

Those are figures based on "real wages" that are related to inflation. Interestingly the main contributor to the increase in the 12 month UK inflation rate to May 2017 was "Rising prices for recreational and cultural goods and services". These comprised mainly computer games and foreign package holidays. Are the UK's poor truly finding their "real wages" dropping because of these extra expenses they have to incur? The dangers of placing too much emphasis on comparisons with other countries.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/may2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that Emma Dent Coad, the Labour MP (by 20 votes) for Kensington should join her boss Jezza in criticising the council over Grenfell. Interesting in that she served as one of the council's appointed board members of Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (which manages the council's housing stock) from 27 June 2008 to 31 October 2012. In 2013/4 she was a member of the council's Housing and Property Scrutiny Committee. She has been a member of the council's Planning Applications Committee since May 2013, and a member of the main Planning Committee since June 2014. So despite all those posts, she knew nothing of the multi-million pound refurbishment of the tower and had no reason to question cost savings? :dk:

Those are figures based on "real wages" that are related to inflation. Interestingly the main contributor to the increase in the 12 month UK inflation rate to May 2017 was "Rising prices for recreational and cultural goods and services". These comprised mainly computer games and foreign package holidays. Are the UK's poor truly finding their "real wages" dropping because of these extra expenses they have to incur? The dangers of placing too much emphasis on comparisons with other countries.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/may2017

The Independent ere quoting the TUC.. and anything that comes form the TUC needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Take a quick look at the headlines on their website https://www.tuc.org.uk/ :

'Britain Still Needs A Pay Rise: Investing in Good Jobs'
'Real wage slide must be halted, says TUC'
'Turning up to be sent home without pay: life in insecure work'
'How can you budget when you don’t know if you’ll be working?'

To be fair to them, they are fighting for their members' rights and I respect them for that. But while we can appreciate the work they do to promote the interests of the 50 Unions they represent, it should be clear to everyone that they are not impartial observers or objective economic analysts.

Interesting in that she served as one of the council's appointed board members of Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (which manages the council's housing stock) from 27 June 2008 to 31 October 2012.

Ward councilor on some committee 4 years before the refurb??

In 2013/4 she was a member of the council's Housing and Property Scrutiny Committee.

3 years before the refurb

She has been a member of the council's Planning Applications Committee since May 2013, and a member of the main Planning Committee since June 2014.

All councilors will be on the planning committee, they're just statutory consultees.

So despite all those posts, she knew nothing of the multi-million pound refurbishment of the tower and had no reason to question cost savings? :dk:

She would have had no involvement at all.

Regardless of what some people spend money on and what is happening elsewhere, since 2008 wage growth in the UK has either been supressed or has completely stagnated whereas inflation (now nudging 3%) has not.

The Independent ere quoting the TUC.. and anything that comes form the TUC needs to be taken with a pinch of salt....

.......To be fair to them, they are fighting for their members' rights and I respect them for that. But while we can appreciate the work they do to promote the interests of the 50 Unions they represent, it should be clear to everyone that they are not impartial observers or objective economic analysts.

Perhaps you'll find analysis from the LSE a little less partial (they say that real wages have fallen by 8 - 10% since the downturn):

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/real-wages-and-living-standards-the-latest-uk-evidence/

I would have thought that the CEO position is non-political? If so then this resignation can be safely discussed in the Glenfell Tower fire thread.

I would have thought that the CEO position is non-political? If so then this resignation can be safely discussed in the Glenfell Tower fire thread.
Unless , as Nicholas Holgate himself alleges Local Government Secretary Sajid Javid asked for him to go. Then it does take on a certain political dimension?
addendum:-

Nicholas Holgate to be confirmed as Kensington and Chelsea's Town Clerk

17 November 2014

Nicholas Holgate’s appointment as Town Clerk at the Royal Borough is set to be formally approved by the Council on Wednesday 3 December.
Often known as the Chief Executive in other councils, the Town Clerk is the chief officer of the Council responsible for the delivery of services to residents. He will also act as the borough’s finance director, ensuring the effective management of Council resources. In addition he advises the Mayor at Council meetings.

A graduate of Trinity College, Cambridge, Nicholas Holgate has worked in local government since 2008 when he joined the Royal Borough as Executive Director for Finance, Information Systems and Property. He has also served for 11 months as interim joint chief executive of Kensington and Chelsea and Hammersmith & Fulham.

A career public servant, he started out as an Administration Trainee in HM Treasury in 1984. He was Director of Welfare Reform over 2001-2004 and then Chief Operating Officer at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport until 2008.

Last edited:
Unless , as Nicholas Holgate himself alleges Local Government Secretary Sajid Javid asked for him to go. Then it does take on a certain political dimension?

I would argue not.... the government still has to discharge its duties as far as governing the country goes. The sacking of a failed public servant isn't necessarily political.

As I pointed-out in previous threads... I believe that the entire issue of the Grenfell Tower fire has been artificially politicised by interested parties.

Yes K&C lends itself to all sorts if conspiracy theories, such as a Tory council vs Labour supporters or wealthy bankers vs poor immigrants or what-have-you, BUT I think that you'll find that the location of Grenfell Tower is just a coincidence - the politics will die-out once it will be revealed that the same levels of neglect and use of low-cost materials is rife in Tower Hamlets, Bradford, Birmingham, and anywhere else really.

And it will show that this happens also in areas where the rest of the population is not wealthy, where developers are not seeking to demolish social housing sites, where the council and MP have been Labour for many years, etc etc etc.

It is all good and well for Labour leaders to moralise the Tories from the height of their horse.... but the reality is that it's not any one party's fault, instead it's systemic and endemic failure of our social housing policies.

If one is to try and apply a political angle to the poor state of many of out council accommodations, perhaps we should consider whether successive governments have over-promised on social housing to woo voters, resulting in a system that we are unable to support financially?

I don't know for fact that this is the case, but I would suggest that this is a far more sensible political argument than some of the things that have been circulating on social media recently.

Last edited:
I would argue not.... the government still has to discharge its duties as far as governing the country goes. The sacking of a failed public servant isn't necessarily political.
Whereas a cynic might say its an attempt by a government to "distance itself " from what is turning out to be a civic cl*sterf*ck with lethal consequences. Guilt-might be a trifle harsh, but embarrassment- certainly. :dk:

Whereas a cynic might say its an attempt by a government to "distance itself " from what is turning out to be a civic cl*sterf*ck with lethal consequences. Guilt-might be a trifle harsh, but embarrassment- certainly. :dk:

I think we are splitting hairs here... even so, for a government to try and distance itself from a disaster is not exactly party-political... all governments do that. If they tried to somehow blame this on Labour, then yes this would be 'political' and not suitable for other threads. My view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom