Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Comrade Eavis at Glastonbury tells reporters that Corbyn said he will be PM in six months time and get rid of trident as soon as he can. No surprise there then.

A very big surprise actually.

Firstly, I doubt that Corbyn said any such thing regardless of what Eavis claims.

And secondly, how exactly would Corbyn get rid of Trident ? Even if he were PM, any such move would have to go through parliament and since no Tories nor huge swathes of his own party would ever support this policy then it has zero chance of happening. Wanting to get rid of Trident and being in a position to actually do so are very different things.

Yes Corbyn will makes cuts to our defence forces. It's a bit like saving money by not having motor insurance - not a problem in itself as long as you don't actually have an accident :thumb:

So which party was it that bulldozed the Nimrods, sent the Harriers to the USA for scrap and weighed in all the carriers?

Thanks to your team we have an aircraft carrier with no aricraft (until 2020, maybe, if were lucky)

So which party was it that bulldozed the Nimrods, sent the Harriers to the USA for scrap and weighed in all the carriers?

Thanks to your team we have an aircraft carrier with no aricraft (until 2020, maybe, if were lucky)

The Nemrods were based on the Comet, the first even jetliner (all British :thumb: ).

The Harier is yet another great marvel of the Cold War era.

Flogging dead horses wins no races (or wars)....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth-class_aircraft_carrier

There are many arguements for and against these 2 aircraft carriers. Their role is not primarily domestic defense [ UK mainland] but offensive in the global military expression of British foreign policy. So not so much defending the citizenry as defending British interests abroad. I suppose it depends on how much people feel those two interests coincide. Domestic security v interests abroad. As the Americans say- your tax dollars at work!

This is how it works.

Bottom level parish/town/community council elected by ward

All unpaid - other that the council clerk and employees - roadsweepers groundsmen etc (if they are big enough to have any employees)

County council

The people you vote for at local elections, don't get paid either but get expenses/allowance to cover their time so our local man got £14382.04, but the leader got £45k.

You missed out District Councils and Unitary Authorities, Nick.

Leaders of political groups, chairs of committees and posts with special responsibility DO receive a standing allowance on top of expenses.

For a District Council ...... the next one up to the parishes, £30,000 a year was a yardstick for the Leader of the Council.

Before you say it ain't so ..... I used to pay them and friends/ex colleagues still do!

Stuart

Why do you enter into debates and then try to silence anyone who disagrees with you?

Again you have a limited grasp of whats going on Nick. You confuse a different viewpoint to yours as trying to be silenced. I have repeatedly stated that I value the different opinions and at least consider them. Even from people I share little in common with. If you actually thought a bit about the wording of posts you would understand. For instance look at my recent post in reply to yours where I say 'Agreed'.

I note you dont respond to the points you find uncomfortable.

There are many council leaders (CEO's) on well over £100kpa. In fact there are lesser grades that attract six figure salaries.

A very big surprise actually.

Firstly, I doubt that Corbyn said any such thing regardless of what Eavis claims.

As odious as Eavis is I doubt he would lie. I gather the LAbour party have reacted to say that Eavis was paraphrasing what Corbyn said. Yeah right.....

And secondly, how exactly would Corbyn get rid of Trident ? Even if he were PM, any such move would have to go through parliament and since no Tories nor huge swathes of his own party would ever support this policy then it has zero chance of happening. Wanting to get rid of Trident and being in a position to actually do so are very different things.

Thankfully yes. My point though was that Corbyn appears to have temporarily deviated from his 'No nukes' standpoint for the election period and is right back on it again. After all this is the man who 'forgot' he held a senior position in CND. Pathetic little cretin that he is.

The Nemrods were based on the Comet, the first even jetliner (all British :thumb: ).

It's not really an issue as to the lineage of the Nimrods - rather an issue of the loss of the Maritime Patrol capability.

There is a more complex story to that project. A bit like the TSR2 we will never really know what the outcome would have been had the project survived - the TSR2 is probably overhyped - the new Nimrods possibly underhyped - but who really knows?

Leaders of political groups, chairs of committees and posts with special responsibility DO receive a standing allowance on top of expenses.

Our AM cops £140k, so yes people do get paid, but not a fat lot, and the suggestion that everyone is on a similar 6 figure salary is just a myth.

For a District Council ...... the next one up to the parishes, £30,000 a year was a yardstick for the Leader of the Council.

Before you say it ain't so ..... I used to pay them and friends/ex colleagues still do!

Stuart

Lets also not forget the workshy and feckless Union leaders who take huge salaries and benefits and do very very little except cause chaos and mayhem in their pursuit of power.

Remember the magic money tree Theresa (£1000 trousers) Maybe told overworked and underpaid nurses about?

Turns out they grow in Westminster.

"Theresa May has been accused of finding a money tree to keep the Conservatives in power just weeks after using the issue against Labour in her general election campaign."

"The Conservative PM was accused of a “straight bung” after agreeing an extra £1 billion in exchange for parliamentary support from the DUP."

"Ian Blackford, the party’s Westminster leader, said: “For years the Tories have been cutting budgets and services, but suddenly they have found a magic money tree to help them stay in power.”"

"Now they even have to back-track on one of their most treasured (albeit misguided) campaign pledges."

(signature May U-turn/blatant lie)

£1bn cost of bung, £130m cost of pointless election (enough to pay for 4500 nurses)

So, it turns out that the UK Politics thread is merely for the most infantile sniping of a few very loud mouths on here...incredible.

Except for post 3166, not one other post mentioning the deal between the Govt. and DUP.

What passes for politics in this place is devoid of reality and certainly misses what's going on in the real world. So keep it up...you have bored most other likely posters away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom