Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not just that. I envisage that the people who cross the border now on a regular basis would find a way to continually do so. Very resourceful people the Irish
Their resourcefulness goes back to the days when there were thorough border checks. For instance it was back then that a guy from the republic walked up to the border patrol pushing a wheelbarrow full of straw. The border guard rummaged through the straw and found nothing untoward hidden within it, so let the guy through. The next day the same guy appeared at the border, again with his wheelbarrow full of straw. Again a thorough search revealed nothing and he was let through. After a couple of weeks of this he was taken to one side and the straw removed for X-rays and chemical analysis. It was just straw, nothing else. The guards pulled his wheelbarrow apart and still found nothing. They never did realise that he was smuggling wheelbarrows into NI!

The latter may be correct but I doubt his knowledge of either Leave or Remain is that great and a "Luvvie" he ain't !

Thanked for using a referendum for nothing other than a botched attempt to further his own political ends ?

Really ??

But he did the wrong thing by calling a referendum that he thought he would win and then vanishing in a puff of smoke when he lost leaving the rest of us to argue for years over the divisive mess that he left us all with.

But he never, ever said that we would leave on WTO terms despite spurious attempts by diehard Leavers to claim that he did.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

BBC news. 2 min 48 seconds in might change your mind
Speaking about voting leave and stating ....”or if British business will be able to access EU markets”

I’ll have a look at some of his other speeches to find his mention of WTO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBC news. 2 min 48 seconds in might change your mind
Speaking about voting leave and stating ....”or if British business will be able to access EU markets”

Exactly - leaving the EU means that our businesses may not be able to access the single market. But if a deal can be reached then maybe they will.

So to reiterate, nowhere did Cameroon state that leaving the EU meant leaving completely and then trading on WTO terms.

I’ll have a look at some of his other speeches to find his mention of WTO

Don't spend too long on it - we were here a couple of weeks ago with this and the claim simply could not be substantiated.

Exactly - leaving the EU means that our businesses may not be able to access the single market. But if a deal can be reached then maybe they will.

So to reiterate, nowhere did Cameroon state that leaving the EU meant leaving completely and then trading on WTO terms.

Don't spend too long on it - we were here a couple of weeks ago with this and the claim simply could not be substantiated.

1.20 couldn’t be much clearer

You mean its not viable to put up 300+ border crossings!
When looking at "problems" wherever they exist, I always find it helpful to make an effort to understand the motivation of people who claim that they can't be solved.

Are there potential solutions to the question of controlling the flow of goods and people across a border on the island of Ireland? Of course there are - so long as you don't have an imperative to not find them. Will they involve a different regime to that in place today? I think that's a certainty.

But for the benefit of anyone who thinks the border wasn't massively porous pre-EU when it was a "hard" border: it leaked like a sieve. It's also worth remembering that those unpleasant checkpoints were nothing to do with the legitimate flow of goods or people, they were there to attempt to address the matter of a small group of people with bad intentions from shooting and/or bombing other people.

And if people think there's no smuggling or border fraud going on today because it's all fine and dandy because we're all in the EU, I'll just mention mobile phone carousel VAT fraud. Or Chinese garlic. Bad people with nefarious intent will carry out bad acts, whether there's a hard border, a soft border, or no border at all.

He did mention it in an answer to a question regarding the procedure after A50 was implemented. “A period of negotiations then leave on WTO terms” . I’ve previously posted the interview clip

1.20 couldn’t be much clearer

Not really.

He pledges to leave the EU in the event of that referendum result and 3.5 years later that it still what we are aiming to do.

However, he doesn't preclude a deal with the EU that allows some sort of trading arrangement and nowhere does he specify that leaving has to mean a reversion to WTO rules.

He did mention it in an answer to a question regarding the procedure after A50 was implemented. “A period of negotiations then leave on WTO terms” . I’ve previously posted the interview clip

Like I said we were here the other week and your interpretation of what he actually said could only come from a diehard Leaver and simply wasn't correct.

Not really.

He pledged to leave the EU in the event of that referendum result and 3.5 years later that it still what we are aiming to do.

However, he doesn't preclude a deal with the EU that allows some sort of trading arrangement and nowhere does he specify that leaving has to mean a reversion to WTO rules.

Talk about selective editing !

He's talking hypothetically about what leaving the EU means in theory and is NOT discussing what actions we will definitely take.

I suggest you post the whole clip instead of one where some Leaver has chopped it down and then gone all Paul Hardcastle to try to manufacture a point !

Well if you can’t access the Single Market nor strike trade deals before leaving the EU, your only option is to trade on WTO terms. There is no other option. He clearly stated the risks and we as voters voted to leave.

We were forewarned and still voted to leave

He mentioned it directly as a possible
consequence of voting to leave too

Talk about selective editing !

He's talking hypothetically about what leaving the EU means in theory and is NOT discussing what actions we will definitely take.

I suggest you post the whole clip instead of one where some Leaver has chopped it down and then gone all Paul Hardcastle to try to manufacture a point !

He’s not talking hypothetically he’s giving advice on what would happen if a vote to leave was in force as per the procedure under A50, nothing theoretical about it

I’ve posted the whole clip previously which you still refused to accept.
HE WAS ANSWERING A JOURNALIST ‘S QUESTION, surely it’s not that difficult to understand.

Just accept it and move on to twisting and spinning other comments, plenty of truths for you to work on there

O.K. then ... take it from a diehard remainer. I've posted this before.

Read paragraph 3 on page 3 ... and weep:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...to_European_Council_President_Donald_Tusk.pdf

I am almost weeping since the letter is dated March 2017 which is a full 9 months after the referendum which saw Cameroon leave office !

And with regard to the content:

"If, however, we leave the European Union without an agreement the default position is that we would have to trade on World Trade Organisation terms."

So the author therefore wants us to leave WITH an agreement !

"The United Kingdom wants to agree with the European Union a deep and special partnership that takes in both economic and security cooperation. To achieve this, we believe it is necessary to agree the terms of our future partnership alongside those of our withdrawal from the EU."

So for the umpteenth time, Cameron did NOT say that leaving HAS to mean leaving without a deal and reverting to the WTO option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom