Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trabant? he's not that good, Rusty Minging Old Moscovitch MAYBE and even that is an insult to the Moscovitch:mad::devil::fail::ban::eek:

Did you notice how at his speech today he stayed all measured and calm ... until the end, when his voice rose to a shriek and he ended up sounding like a dalek.

He can't help it; he's just an over-promoted rabble rouser.

There will be a fight for the soul of Labour if Boris gets a working majority, and it won't be pretty.

My main worry is that a Momentum-lead Labour government will immediately start setting people against each other by wilfully creating their own variant of Class War, true to the Marxist view is that a violent struggle is inevitable.

Also a reminder that Blair was branded a 'Tory spy' by the extremists in his own party when his New Labour campaign (that won him the elections at the time) wooed businesses and the middle class.

One can only hope that there are enough people among Labour voters who do not share the far-left ideology that sees conflict and struggle as the only way forward.

How can Labour say that that increased taxation policy won't cost us anything as it is aimed at the weathly and corporations? When these people and companies leave the UK and take their jobs with them who now pays for Labour's spending and the unemployed? How can Labour complain about Tory austerity when they were the cause of it? How can they justify wanting Corbyn as PM when he has the lowest ever approval rating from the electorate? Why are the so called moderate shadow cabinet allowing all this to happen?

In this context, the issue for me isn't that people don't believe Tory promises.... Tory may well be liars for all we know, BUT the very big difference between them and the current incarnation of the Labour party is that at least the Tory party claims that they will work to better the lives of everyone, including ordinary people, including the poor, the working man (and woman), and the middle class.

They are not starting off by deliberately antagonising one part of the population in order to appeal to the other. Personally, I will always choose reconciliation over conflict where such a choice exists.

To quote from the poem The Unknown Citizen by the American poet W H Auden: "When there was peace, he was for peace: when there was war, he went".

I am not averse to conflict and confrontation... they have their place and sadly are beeded from time to time. I just don't see it as a way of life, and I can't sympathise with those who seem to thrive on them.

I heard a short extract of Corbyn's speech yesterday.
While he includes such phrases to mean the abusers that are wealthy, it sounded like "if you have money we are coming for you".
Even seeing that as extreme I percieve that their catagorising style will include masses that aren't wealthy but trying to get on in life by taking the chance in not being employed.
So it translates to "If you have been successful we are coming to get you, and it's tough if you haven't been lucky if you still fall into our catagory of those that have been".

His talk sounds like the beginnings of a revolution, this I expect more from McDonnel.

It will appeal to those that are struggling day to day and don't see a way out of that struggle.

I heard a short extract of Corbyn's speech yesterday.
While he includes such phrases to mean the abusers that are wealthy, it sounded like "if you have money we are coming for you".
Even seeing that as extreme I percieve that their catagorising style will include masses that aren't wealthy but trying to get on in life by taking the chance in not being employed.
So it translates to "If you have been successful we are coming to get you, and it's tough if you haven't been lucky if you still fall into our catagory of those that have been".

His talk sounds like the beginnings of a revolution, this I expect more from McDonnel.

It will appeal to those that are struggling day to day and don't see a way out of that struggle.

Spooky regarding the "Puppet" analogy, I was reading this early this morning!

John McDonnell is blasted for treating Jeremy Corbyn 'like a puppet' over second Scottish referendum | Daily Mail Online

Too many people perceive themselves as struggling.

Firemen, NHS workers, teachers and civil servants are not that poorly paid any more yet many claim to be financially hard up.

People who work in shops and suchlike look up to those above.

Happened to see Barry Gardiner on tv this morning. Among other claims, he actually said "there are 14 million families living in poverty".

Well, assuming a family must be more than 1 person, that's 28 million + people who are living in poverty. That's around 1 in 2 people in the UK.

Where are the facts to support his statement?

Unless he's thinking of those living under the radar?

How can Labour say that that increased taxation policy won't cost us anything as it is aimed at the weathly and corporations? When these people and companies leave the UK and take their jobs with them who now pays for Labour's spending and the unemployed? How can Labour complain about Tory austerity when they were the cause of it?
How can they justify wanting Corbyn as PM when he has the lowest ever approval rating from the electorate? Why are the so called moderate shadow cabinet allowing all this to happen?

''How can Labour complain about Tory austerity when they were the cause of it?''

With ease - because they didn't cause it.
Ten years on and still the 'Labour broke Lehman Brothers' line is being trotted for another airing. Let it die. It was never true.

If you ignore the 10k over 55s!

90,000 Students Register at Uni and at Home = 45,000 Actual Registrations! :rolleyes: :p:D

Flak Jacket on Standby!:thumb:
Ah but we all know that students are feckless, their grandparents should be setting an example, how have they been paying council tax?

If you ignore the 10k over 55s!

90,000 Students Register at Uni and at Home = 45,000 Actual Registrations! :rolleyes: :p:D

Flak Jacket on Standby!:thumb:
They cant vote in 2 places at once though and it may be too late to have a postal vote.

Just checked and its only 11 days.

They cant vote in 2 places at once though and it may be too late to have a postal vote.

Just checked and its only 11 days.
As I understand it the students are being asked to register to vote in the constituency where they they can have the most influence.

Ten years on and still the 'Labour broke Lehman Brothers' line is being trotted for another airing. Let it die. It was never true.
I'll offer you a deal: stop claiming the Tories are responsible for all ills you perceive and... ;)

More seriously, I for one have never claimed that the last Labour government was responsible for the financial meltdown in 2008. However, I do hold Broon responsible for (amongst other things):
  • The sell-off of gold reserves at the lowest price imaginable
  • The cynical tax raid on pensions that will continue to impoverish many millions for many years
  • The disastrous PFI scheme that has condemned organisations such as the NHS to overpay for facilities and services for decades to come and with huge interest bills to fund to boot
I also accept a degree of personal responsibility because I did actually vote Labour.

It's popular in some quarters to forget that in 2008 the UK (and most of the world) was in a parlous financial position. I commented at the time to my wife and to friends that whoever won the UK election was grabbing hold of the sticky end of a very sh*tty stick, and would be saddled with taking responsibility for some very unpopular decisions. I was right. Did I support Osborne's austerity? Only in part, as I was convinced that much of it was more about ideology than utility, but it would have been ludicrous to claim that the solution to the massive debt pile would have been to either do nothing or spend more indiscriminately. I am, for example, absolutely convinced that Osborne was wrong to target infrastructure spending as I think that was a huge missed opportunity to stimulate real economic activity at little long-term cost. But I wasn't Chancellor, and he was.

So, in summary there are two statements that are equally incorrect and absurd:
  • The last Labour Government is responsible for all the UK's ills
  • The last Tory Government is responsible for all the UK's ills
Next?

With regards those who suggest to lower the voting age, I wonder if they are also advocating lowering the age of full criminal responsibility at the same time.

I.e., young people are either old enough to make important choices, or they are not, but they can't have it both ways.

(Old man's rant over)

With regards those who suggest to lower the voting age, I wonder if they are also advocating lowering the age of full criminal responsibility at the same time.

I.e., young people are either old enough to make important choices, or they are not, but they can't have it both ways.

(Old man's rant over)
Also would they be able to sit as an MP at 16 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom