Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see that the media are wheeling out Gordon Brown again to warn us of the Armageddon type catastrophe of a no deal brexit.

Next to Teresa May he has got to be the worst prime minister in my living memory.

Don’t they realise that by wheeling out these has-beens they damage their own view point?

Brown, Blair, May, Major. Every one a discredited liability.

Macron has trapped himself. He won't get those fish with a no deal. He has problems in France too with his popularity. This is a high risk gamble on his part.

I think the EU will see sense and look at a more managed no deal.
I read that we already have mini deals on some areas such as air travel and freight haulage, presumably there are more of these mini deals agreed.

I see that the media are wheeling out Gordon Brown again to warn us of the Armageddon type catastrophe of a no deal brexit.

Next to Teresa May he has got to be the worst prime minister in my living memory.

Don’t they realise that by wheeling out these has-beens they damage their own view point?

Brown, Blair, May, Major. Every one a discredited liability.

Next to Mr Brown, Mr Blair must be up there
Loved a soundbite, had no grasp of what was happening
A catastrophe

Loved a soundbite, had no grasp of what was happening
A catastrophe

i just see these interventions as unwelcome interference. The fact that they are no longer governing gives us a clue as to their success and current popularity.

Now we have the Bishops wading into the Brexit debate. Does anybody seriously give a flying fcek what they think?

I bet you would if they agreed with you :confused:
That may be true.

within their own field of expertise they may have something to say and may have a very small audience, but in politics they carry less weight than the Lib Dems.

It was Blair's biggest sin that he gave us Brown as PM. On his own Brown was unelectable. Blair was reported to have said to the US president "don't worry he's unelectable" meaning he's no chance of winning the next election so you won't have to put up with him for long.

I bet you would if they agreed with you :confused:
I don't agree with most if not all of the unelected, it is their opinion and should bear little or no relevance.

It was Blair's biggest sin that he gave us Brown as PM. On his own Brown was unelectable. Blair was reported to have said to the US president "don't worry he's unelectable" meaning he's no chance of winning the next election so you won't have to put up with him for long.

So Mr Blair's opinion is valid on some things but not others?

My recollection is that Mr Blair was perceived to be the front man and Mr Brown the political heavyweight in terms of thinking and brains.

Mr Brown had quite a lot of credibility for the first few years of Mr Blair's premiership and there was an assumption by many that he would take over earlier than he actually did.

Trouble with politics is that governments go stale after a few years. And we tend to remeber the stale end rather than the fresh beginning. For all that he is tainted now - back in the late 90s it seemed Mr Blair was something fresh. And Mr Brown was seen a solid partner. Mr Blair was tainted post-Iraq and Mr Brown incresaingly stale from that point - not helped by the way his brief tenure ended (politically and economically).

i just see these interventions as unwelcome interference. The fact that they are no longer governing gives us a clue as to their success and current popularity.

To be fair to Blair, Brown forced Blair’s hand

So Mr Blair's opinion is valid on some things but not others?

My recollection is that Mr Blair was perceived to be the front man and Mr Brown the political heavyweight in terms of thinking and brains.

Mr Brown had quite a lot of credibility for the first few years of Mr Blair's premiership and there was an assumption by many that he would take over earlier than he actually did.

Trouble with politics is that governments go stale after a few years. And we tend to remeber the stale end rather than the fresh beginning. For all that he is tainted now - back in the late 90s it seemed Mr Blair was something fresh. And Mr Brown was seen a solid partner. Mr Blair was tainted post-Iraq and Mr Brown incresaingly stale from that point - not helped by the way his brief tenure ended (politically and economically).

Firstly, my apologies if I am responsible for thread drift.
A final thought on the subject of Blair/Brown?

Read
"Broken Vows."
I commend this book to you, A fascinating read.
If just 5% of the book is true, Blair was, for the UK, a disaster

For those wondering what Starmer is about and in which direction he is going .....

...... he is the heir to Blair. Blair is funding him (as McCluskey is still funding the Labour Left).

And Soros is funding Blair.

If your name is Kelley, be afraid ... be very afraid.

Here is the latest episode in the 4 and (almost a) half year long farcical soap opera called how can we convince the UK public we are doing what they instructed us to do but at the same time actually doing the complete opposite. Latest episode...."The Standoff"

Here is the latest episode in the 4 and (almost a) half year long farcical soap opera called how can we convince the UK public we are doing what they instructed us to do but at the same time actually doing the complete opposite. Latest episode...."The Standoff"

The EU are putting things off until after the US elections, when they hope and expect Biden to win. If Boris was going to pull the plug, he's left it too late now.

Unless Trump wins, of course.

Looks like BRINO ... but I hope I am very mistaken on this one.

I like the way Barnier states "the door remains open" It would seem he's on the wrong side of the door at the moment after No 10's statement last week and with Frost's tweet saying don't bother coming over if your position doesn't change. BoJo needs to step it up otherwise it'll look like a pointless threat to walk away, while not walking away.

The USA will never give the UK a great deal IMO regardless who is holding the reins. They are a claimed self important, superpower and will only do a deal if they get everything they want. Meaning the other side has to give in to all of their demands if they want to sign a FTA. I can't see that happening.

Liz Truss today - https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1318509305121939456

I'll take that statement with a pinch of salt even though her twitter responses has the rejoiners frothing and head spinning.

It'll be interesting to see what No10 does next.

Reference the US elections. Didn't they have Clinton well ahead of the last one? I thought we were presented with some "prize choices" with our last election. The US has properly "Trumped" us with these 2 especially the hair sniffing loon.

What an abject failure Barnier is as a negotiator but not surprising considering the EU's favoured method of discourse has always been the monologue.

Last edited:
For those wondering what Starmer is about and in which direction he is going .....

...... he is the heir to Blair. Blair is funding him (as McCluskey is still funding the Labour Left).

And Soros is funding Blair.

If your name is Kelley, be afraid ... be very afraid.

That's very good news for Labour.

Remember that Blair and his New Labour were a massive success at the time.

With Blair's backing, and Soros' support, Sir Keir may just win Labour the next elections.

Good on him, I say. What this country needs is two mainstream parties, not one large mainstream party and a small far-left one (apologies to LibDem/UKIP etc for not seeing them as serious candidates for government).

What an abject failure Barnier is as a negotiator but not surprising considering the EU's favoured method of discourse has always been the monologue.

Barnier may have failed to satisfy us Brits... but is he a failure in the eyes of his masters? That would depend on what they defined their goals as.

Excuse my ignorance because I haven't been follow the media on the Brexit negotiations (I just get angry and frustrated so I've banned myself from reading/listening):

on the subject of fishing rights, as I understood it, Britain gave these away as a part of some other EU negotiations back in the day. If we want these back then it is in the rights of the EU to demand something worthy in return. Have we offered something worthy to the EU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom