Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aren't you still liable for taxes if you purchase an item from Amazon on eBay that is shipped from abroad? I don't think the seller can pre-pay the tax.

The seller can do this on your behalf - if they make an error then the buyer is still liable for the shortfall.

And in the case of Amazon they will handle this - and AIUI if it's Ebay then it depends on the seller.

HMRC don't want to inspect small consignments going across the border - so they want this handled by the seller or by the marketplace service used by the seller and buyer.

The seller can do this on your behalf - if they make an error then the buyer is still liable for the shortfall.

I should add that the seller or marketplace will likely still state in their Ts&Cs that the buyer is still liable - even if the charge to the buyer is supposed to be inclusive of taxes and duty.

Also with Amazon it is confsuing because they have a number of ways things are dealt with. I have bought through their 'Global Store' and was billed tax and duty at the point of purchase - nothing extra to pay. If it is fulfilled by Amazon then this should be the same. The marketplace stuff is potentially a minefield. A lot of low value accessories are sold from China via this route and presumably have come under the low value threshold and exempted.

Absolutely star performance from the Home Office IT team, I must say :rolleyes:

I wonder if Starmer is clever enough to realise that his "how many convicted criminals had had their records wrongly deleted?" question was actually the equivalent of "have you stopped beating your wife?", or whether it was just an opportunity to score points and try to make the PM look incompetent? By his line of questioning, I suspect it's the latter.

Returning to the subject of the data loss, anyone who has worked with large and complex datasets in IT will have a tale to tell of updates not doing exactly what was expected in test, but it beggars belief that that for such a critical dataset there doesn't appear to be an offline backup that can be interrogated to identify the "lost" records.

It appears to be the 'English way' , In most countries you pull up at petrol station in a Supercar/V8/Prestige car and if anyone says anything it is usually along the lines of 'nice car'...in the UK it is usually 'I bet you don't get many MPG out of that/that must be expensive to tax/I bet the tyres are pricey on that....

Maybe if this news channel gets off the ground it might put a more positive spin on things 🤷‍♂️

It appears to be the 'English way' , In most countries you pull up at petrol station in a Supercar/V8/Prestige car and if anyone says anything it is usually along the lines of 'nice car'...in the UK it is usually 'I bet you don't get many MPG out of that/that must be expensive to tax/I bet the tyres are pricey on that....

Maybe if this news channel gets off the ground it might put a more positive spin on things 🤷‍♂️
Can't wait, he'll bring a breath of fresh air to the so-called news programmes. I'm guessing he will ruffl a few feathers too!

The only problem the new channel will have is getting anyone with enough balls to be interviewed ! This government even hid from Piers Morgan for the longest time . I will watch it with interest, . And that is from someone who has pretty much given up on watching any news shows of late, mainly due to the depressing mood and all the 'talking heads' (so called experts) who keep popping up .

I only have one TV at home (by choice) and I can't risk putting my boot (or 2 x 32gr 5's) through the screen.

How did the Trump thread get shut down and this circle jerk is still in full swing? 😂

We have closed the Trump thread for a reason, please do not continue it here.

The only problem the new channel will have is getting anyone with enough balls to be interviewed ! This government even hid from Piers Morgan for the longest time . I will watch it with interest, . And that is from someone who has pretty much given up on watching any news shows of late, mainly due to the depressing mood and all the 'talking heads' (so called experts) who keep popping up .

I only have one TV at home (by choice) and I can't risk putting my boot (or 2 x 32gr 5's) through the screen.

Any public figure has to balance not-being-grilled with not-being-seen.

Politicians need to be in the public eye, because exposure (and recognition) helps them get re-elected.

Picking and choosing who you want to be interviewed by, might work when you're in great demand and everyone wants to interview you. But for many politicians, avoiding potentially uncomfortable interviews isn't really a practical choice.

That, and the fact that there will always be the odd narcissistic megalomaniac who will believe that they can handle the interview and come-up.... err, and win the argument.

David Davis MP holds a debate on the case for Vitamin D supplements as a means to improve the health of UK citizens in this health crisis. He sites the example of a province of Spain that has seen huge drops in deaths after mitigation strategies using vitamin supplements were introduced. Clinical solutions providing better outcomes, who would have thought.

Interesting to compare this pragmatic common sense approach to health which is preventative in nature to the blind faith we are supposed to show when the healthy are put into lockdown quarantine which will make people ill.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom