Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Luckily Russia's ability to make mischief has been constrained by the low price of oil
and a large number of trading penalties.
It seems Russians foreign investments are at risk as well.
If at first we don't succeed we'll use a bigger American hammer.

I still wonder what Putin had over Trump in Helsinki. Putin was so smug after their private meeting that he nearly smiled.

There has a been a step change in Turkey since the reported coup a few years back. The country has moved further away from the core of NATO and it has been steadily asserting itself in other parts of the ME and North Africa.

One significant difference between Turkey and the rest of the region is it is more capable industrially.

I really rather enjoyed von der Lying's treatment by the Turkish President today 😂😂

Thinking about this, it is Charles Michel, President Moron's puppet, who comes out poorly. He should have offered his seat to von der Lying

and a large number of trading penalties.
It seems Russians foreign investments are at risk as well.
If at first we don't succeed we'll use a bigger American hammer.

I still wonder what Putin had over Trump in Helsinki. Putin was so smug after their private meeting that he nearly smiled.
The ‘pee pee’ tapes perhaps?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: m80
The ‘pee pee’ tapes perhaps?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Maybe he had been playing Matryoshka's when in Moscow.
Embarrassing for Trump cos he's the big one.

Police to investigate 'UVF gangsterism'

The UVF have recently been the subject of an organised crime investigation by the PSNI one aspect of which evidently is drug dealing---- If as most likely their supply chain is via the UK mainland then additional customs checks on any Irish sea crossings might indeed turn out to be a "bad trip" ?

The funeral was held back in June of last year so not exactly a "spontaneous " reaction then - still ---there's always the 1690 Battle of the Boyne to fall back on if certain Ulster criminal elements need a justification for targeting the police. :( Recent events in Bristol might demonstrate a similar hidden agenda modus operandi at work on the UK mainland?

Putin would like nothing more than to help Turkey 'destabilise' the EU by making easier for migrants to pass through on their way from Syria . A weak EU makes him look strong.
Putin must have thought that Christmas came early in 2016.... the UK voted Leave, and Trump was voted-in with his 'America First' inward-looking foreign policy that sought to disengage from the rest world - what could be better than that, weakening Europe and America - in the same year? Manna from heaven. Must have been a damper for him when Biden got elected. He was probably consoling himself with the thought that still, the damage to the EU - having lost the UK - is irreparable, so there's that.

The funeral was held back in June of last year so not exactly a "spontaneous " reaction then - still ---there's always the 1690 Battle of the Boyne to fall back on if certain Ulster criminal elements need a justification for targeting the police. :( Recent events in Bristol might demonstrate a similar hidden agenda modus operandi at work on the UK mainland?
I think that when society groups have very entrenched views, they will utilise any perceived differences or issues, past or present, to justify their actions and in turn reinforce their entrenched views. In essence this is ‘tradition’ and is what makes people ‘who we are’ and to identify with each other. So on the one hand it’s a unifying behaviour on the other it’s extremely divisive.

Tradition makes changing how society groups manage an array of discriminatory practices and behaviours more difficult than it ought to be. Hence we read about and see examples of issues with racism, sexism, religious persecution, social disturbances, demonstrations, riots etc. every day.

Southern Ireland is a wonderful place and wonderful people. Northern Ireland can be the same but I no longer have any tolerance in hearing about Northern Ireland's troubles. We know there are Brexit issue but these are just the usual thugs kicking off again at any excuse. If they want to destroy themselves, go right ahead as long as they don't expect another economic bail out. They just need to grow up and join the modern world. I hope to live long enough to see the unification of Ireland as nothing else makes any sense.

Putin must have thought that Christmas came early in 2016.... the UK voted Leave, and Trump was voted-in with his 'America First' inward-looking foreign policy that sought to disengage from the rest world - what could be better than that, weakening Europe and America - in the same year? Manna from heaven. Must have been a damper for him when Biden got elected. He was probably consoling himself with the thought that still, the damage to the EU - having lost the UK - is irreparable, so there's that.
Truth is Trump didn't "disengage from the rest of the world". He started a trade war with China and the EU, pushed the free loading Europeans (I am looking at you, Germany) to do their bit for NATO, and talked a lot about America First but didn't do actually do much, if anything, to materially harm the US's economic might and military hegemony. He fully supported the UK over the Salisbury poisonings. I don't see that anything Trump did actually helped Putin's agenda.

As for Brexit, from a European security perspective, nothing much has changed. The Europeans (apart from the French) are as useless as they always were.

Putin's agenda has benefitted from the EU vaccine fiasco but that has nothing to do with Trump or Brexit.

Biden hasn't done much different except rejoin climate treaty and benefit from Trump's Operation Warp Spoed on vaccines, and spend a lot of money.

And yet, Putin (allegedly) interfered in the US elections to support Trump, and (allegedly) interfered in the Brexit referendum to support the Leave campaign.

So he's either an incompetent fool who made grave mistakes supporting all the wrong causes... or a very clever man who saw the benefit to himself and Russia in all those things that we claim 'made no difference'. Take your pick.

Last edited:
So he's either an incompetent fool who made grave mistakes supporting all the wrong causes... or a very clever man who saw the benefit to himself and Russia in all those things that we claim 'made no difference'.
There’s a third option (that many serious analysts attach the most credence to) which is that Putin’s agenda is to sow confusion and distrust amongst the peoples of Europe and America. Allegations of interference in elections is part of that strategy, and whichever candidate or policy is apparently being “backed” by Putin is actually a glorious irrelevance.

And yet, Putin (allegedly) interfered in the US elections to support Trump, and (allegedly) interfered in the Brexit referendum to support the Leave campaign.

So he's either an incompetent fool who made grave mistakes supporting all the wrong causes... or a very clever man who saw the benefit to himself and Russia in all those things that we claim 'made no difference'. Take your pick.
even if Putin did help elect Trump and pushed Brexit over the line, I am still not seeing what benefit he reaped.

even if Putin did help elect Trump and pushed Brexit over the line, I am still not seeing what benefit he reaped.

Who knows what he sees that we don't - or maybe that's why he's the President of Russia, while you and I are mere forumites.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom