Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From Stephen Daisley of The Spectator

What none of the pro-Union parties are saying is that this is an entirely moot point. The constitution is a reserved power. It is no more possible to obtain a mandate at a Holyrood election on a matter reserved to Westminster than it is for Wokingham Borough Council to obtain a mandate at the local elections for declaring war on Belgium. Resisting Sturgeonā€™s attempts to annex one of the slivers of constitutional territory left to the UK Parliament is not anti-democratic, it is defending both popular democracy and parliamentary sovereignty.

There have been two Scottish constitutional referendums in the past quarter-century, the first in 1997 and the second in 2014. In 1997, voters were asked if they wished there to be a Scottish parliament to handle devolved matters alongside the UK Parliament which would continue to administer reserved affairs. A majority agreed to the proposal and it was enacted. In 2014, voters were asked if they wished the Scottish parliament to assume full legislative powers through independence. A majority rejected this proposal. That is a question of basic democratic principle, too.

If you favour popular democracy, these two referendum results are significant hurdles. The demos set up a parliament for devolved policy then declined to transform it into a parliament for reserved policy too. By continuing to assert competency over reserved matters, Sturgeon and other nationalists show their disregard for parliamentary and popular sovereignty alike. It is Sturgeon who refuses to accept the democratic will, even as she declares it the basis for her political machinations.

Westminster is scared of its own shadow when it comes to Scotland but it should not be so afraid that it shies away from defending fundamental constitutional principles. There is a legitimate path to another referendum on ending the UK: passing a Bill for one in Parliament. Two of the last four general elections resulted in a hung Commons. Should the next election produce a similar outcome, the SNP could extract a referendum in exchange for confidence and supply. What it cannot do is hijack the Scottish parliament to an end for which it wasnā€™t intended, over which it holds no constitutional authority, and which the voters have already rejected.

From Stephen Daisley of The Spectator

What none of the pro-Union parties are saying is that this is an entirely moot point. The constitution is a reserved power. It is no more possible to obtain a mandate at a Holyrood election on a matter reserved to Westminster than it is for Wokingham Borough Council to obtain a mandate at the local elections for declaring war on Belgium. Resisting Sturgeonā€™s attempts to annex one of the slivers of constitutional territory left to the UK Parliament is not anti-democratic, it is defending both popular democracy and parliamentary sovereignty.

There have been two Scottish constitutional referendums in the past quarter-century, the first in 1997 and the second in 2014. In 1997, voters were asked if they wished there to be a Scottish parliament to handle devolved matters alongside the UK Parliament which would continue to administer reserved affairs. A majority agreed to the proposal and it was enacted. In 2014, voters were asked if they wished the Scottish parliament to assume full legislative powers through independence. A majority rejected this proposal. That is a question of basic democratic principle, too.

If you favour popular democracy, these two referendum results are significant hurdles. The demos set up a parliament for devolved policy then declined to transform it into a parliament for reserved policy too. By continuing to assert competency over reserved matters, Sturgeon and other nationalists show their disregard for parliamentary and popular sovereignty alike. It is Sturgeon who refuses to accept the democratic will, even as she declares it the basis for her political machinations.

Westminster is scared of its own shadow when it comes to Scotland but it should not be so afraid that it shies away from defending fundamental constitutional principles. There is a legitimate path to another referendum on ending the UK: passing a Bill for one in Parliament. Two of the last four general elections resulted in a hung Commons. Should the next election produce a similar outcome, the SNP could extract a referendum in exchange for confidence and supply. What it cannot do is hijack the Scottish parliament to an end for which it wasnā€™t intended, over which it holds no constitutional authority, and which the voters have already rejected.
Looks like the Supreme Court are going to have their say as well

I have read on here allegations of oral sex with porcine animals by pupils at a school called "Eaton". Could anyone tell me where that is?
I am aware of a town called "Nuneaton" which had a grammar school and a school called "Eton"
Perhaps thatā€˜s derived from the phrase ā€˜none eatenā€™... only gummed or sucked?

Reactions: JHS
I always thought the Cameron pig incident was connected to membership of the Bullingdon club, which is a real life version of this...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well, well, well. From the front page of today's Grauniad:

rgh4aMe.jpg

Do I hear the sound of a penny finally dropping?

Well, well, well. From the front page of today's Grauniad:

rgh4aMe.jpg

Do I hear the sound of a penny finally dropping?
Iā€™m not bothering to read the article but, as far as Iā€™m aware, the number of rapid tests being done is soaring. So whatever the percentage of false positives, of course the number of those will also soar.

Iā€˜d be more concerned by the number of false negatives that lead people to believe that theyā€™re clear of the virus and can thus move around with impunity, with some of them actively infecting others.

Iā€™m not bothering to read the article
Perhaps you should. It may aid better understanding of the issue which is not about the sheer number of tests conducted, but the ratio of number of tests to infection prevalence - something our politicians have demonstrated that they consistently misunderstand.
Iā€˜d be more concerned by the number of false negatives that lead people to believe that theyā€™re clear of the virus and can thus move around with impunity, with some of them actively infecting others.
Those who are inclined to ignore symptoms will not bother with testing either, so for that cohort no amount of (voluntary) mass testing will have any effect.

The only potential issue is the (alleged) "one third of people who have Covid-19 have no symptoms" cohort for whom LF testing may determine that they are infected. However, the still unanswered question is the rate of transmission from pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.

Perhaps thatā€˜s derived from the phrase ā€˜none eatenā€™... only gummed or sucked?
Hence my suggestion of a live pig this time.
Pigs 'll eat anything, even that of his.

W
Looks like the Supreme Court are going to have their say as well

While I understand why Blackford is the target of the article he isn't taking this action on his own.

So if I can break it down to simple terms for my limited capacity of understanding.
The SNP have exceeded their permitted powers of the devolved powers. They have enacted legislation not within their power.

Now they are to take the UK Gov't to the Supreme Court to hi lite the fact that they have acted illegally.

The Scottish people will pay for this.

As and when the finding comes in there should be personal liabilities.

The only potential issue is the (alleged) "one third of people who have Covid-19 have no symptoms" cohort for whom LF testing may determine that they are infected. However, the still unanswered question is the rate of transmission from pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.
NHS lateral flow staff testing results searching for these asymptomatic cases are not headline news though because they are not finding a significant proportion of asymptomatic cases.

Last edited:
NHS lateral flow staff testing results searching for these asymptomatic cases are not headline news though because they are not finding a significant proportion of asymptomatic cases.
I would be very interested to know what is the proportion of asymptomatic cases among NHS staff testing positive to a Lateral Flow Test - do you have this figure by any chance?

I would be very interested to know what is the proportion of asymptomatic cases among NHS staff testing positive to a Lateral Flow Test - do you have this figure by any chance?
Sorry no i do not have access to NHS staff LF test results. This page however gives some figures for secondary schools and colleges. 663,332 LF tests with 328 positives. Around 0.05%.

So if I can break it down to simple terms for my limited capacity of understanding.
The SNP have exceeded their permitted powers of the devolved powers. They have enacted legislation not within their power.
Think of it like a stroppy teenager being told to be back in by 2200.

And making a point of not being in by 2200.

Think of it like a stroppy teenager being told to be back in by 2200.

And making a point of not being in by 2200.
More like the teenager coming home at midnight and then having a rave in the living room with 1000 folks

North or south of the Berwick and Carlisle?

Scotland has had a taste of establishment online vitriol in the 2014 indyref and the Cybernats. And odd that 'No' was the dominant vote but almost no cars or houses with 'no' stickers - but plenty of 'yes'. But then how long would a window or car last unscathed with a 'no' or union flag ..... ?

We live in a rural village and a number of large ā€œno thanksā€ signs were erected in farmersā€™ fields around here. Within days of them appearing, most had the centres surgically removed, leaving a big circular hole, presumably by chainsaw wielding Yes voters.

They were replaced on a pretty regular basis and life continued pretty much as normal until one sign, placed in a vacant site at the entrance to the village was more or less destroyed. Dash cam evidence showed an Inverclyde Council vehicle parked on the pavement adjacent to the site (which was private land) and two workers in hi-viz were caught in the act of cutting the sign in half.

The local councillor sought answers and discovered that as all council vehicle have trackers fitted, the occupants traced and ā€œwordsā€ were had. The local SNP MP and MSP distanced themselves from the vandalism of course but the antics of the more ā€œpassionateā€ independence supporters are probably why most ā€œNOā€ voters keep a low profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom