Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....the average age of those who have died of Covid-19 (82 years and 2 months) is more than the average age of death normally in the UK (81 years).

I must admit never understood the implied connection between these two unrelated figures. Is it a form of pseudo-logic - two disparate figures that sound as if they have something to do with each other? Happy to be educated.

I must admit never understood the implied connection between these two unrelated figures. Is it a form of pseudo-logic - two disparate figures that sound as if they have something to do with each other? Happy to be educated.
Fascinating use of multiple negatives in your post (implied connection, unrelated figures, pseudo-logic, disparate figures) which i suppose means you disagree, with emphases (the plural of emphasis), with the landlords train of thought.

It does appear however that Keir Starmer is completely unable to relate to ordinary citizens. Reminds me of the Theresa May eating chips spectacle or Ed Milliband and the puzzle of the price of a pint of milk.

Maybe UK politicians are actually not humans at all? How many of them can actually tie their own shoe laces i wonder.

Last edited:
I continue to be surprised at the subjective ‘analysis’ and economic and political illiteracy of those who first demanded that the UK become a third country via Brexit, immediately prior to bemoaning that the UK has become a third country via Brexit.

Followed swiftly by that old ‘it’s not fair Miss, now they are being horrible to me and it’s all their fault.’

And all finished off with that favoured classic line, well the EU will fail soon anyway, and I have the figures to prove it....

Our country, Britain, had until recently thrived as a cosmopolitan society, our scientists, engineers, political leaders and countless others gave us a strong voice across Europe and the world, with quality health care, reliable roads and transport infrastructure (!) and jobs at home.

Now, along with many other things we are infested with crappy falling apart roads wrecking our cars, failing health care, higher taxes (!) failing international trade, and politicians in charge who hand out wads of taxpayer (our) cash to their friends and family while nurses asking for a decent pay rise get told by the same politicians to suck it up!

But of course it’s all Europe’s fault isn’t it?

Could someone please tell me a specific measurable benefit we are now seeing from Brexit? Just one, has to be specific and measurable though, not the ludicrous fantasy of £350 million extra per week for our NHS painted on the side of a bus.

We’ve shut ourselves off from our closest commercial and financial markets, are seeing quality jobs and businesses moving abroad virtually every day, and experiencing widespread corruption at the top which means less money for health, roads and homes.

And the latest news? Well as a third country (our choice) every export UK businesses make now pay additional customs charges/VAT/transport fees under international (not EU) laws. However the UK Government, scared witless, is running away from all checking and tariff levying on imports to the UK from abroad until at least January 2022! This proving a smugglers charter, done because without open borders our food, medical and car production supplies etc would be drying up.

So the UK Government, which promised they’d take back control of our borders, has thrown them open to all, because the alternative is chaos. If you do fancy a start to a new drugs/dangerous goods/weapons smuggling enterprise, now is a good time😉

As any successful business will tell you, shouting at, insulting or otherwise slagging off the customer really is a bad idea.

Additionally threatening to ignore or breach international laws and ignoring our own as the UK is doing means trust is gone, trust being a key factor in any business relationship, international finance, commerce and diplomatic relations.

All this bull and bluster about Brexit and Europe is exactly that, bull and bluster. But the reality for us and our children’s future is that we are now haemorrhaging expertise, trade, jobs and international respect. But of course, we don’t need that do we, and anyway it’s all the EUs fault isn’t it, after all they started it Miss......doh!

Could someone please tell me a specific measurable benefit we are now seeing from Brexit? Just one, has to be specific and measurable though, not the ludicrous fantasy of £350 million extra per week for our NHS painted on the side of a bus.
April 2020 - NHS to benefit from £13.4 billion debt write off. More than 100 NHS hospitals to be rid of historic debt, freeing them up to invest in maintaining vital services and longer-term infrastructure improvements.

Our country, Britain, had until recently thrived as a cosmopolitan society, our scientists, engineers, political leaders and countless others gave us a strong voice across Europe and the world, with quality health care, reliable roads and transport infrastructure (!) and jobs at home.

Where is your objective evidence for this statement? Especially the “strong voice across Europe” claim?

I continue to be surprised at the subjective ‘analysis’ and economic and political illiteracy of those who first demanded that the UK become a third country via Brexit, immediately prior to bemoaning that the UK has become a third country via Brexit.

Followed swiftly by that old ‘it’s not fair Miss, now they are being horrible to me and it’s all their fault.’

And all finished off with that favoured classic line, well the EU will fail soon anyway, and I have the figures to prove it....

Now, along with many other things we are infested with crappy falling apart roads wrecking our cars, failing health care, higher taxes (!) failing international trade, and politicians in charge who hand out wads of taxpayer (our) cash to their friends and family while nurses asking for a decent pay rise get told by the same politicians to suck it up!

But of course it’s all Europe’s fault isn’t it?

We’ve shut ourselves off from our closest commercial and financial markets, are seeing quality jobs and businesses moving abroad virtually every day, and experiencing widespread corruption at the top which means less money for health, roads and homes.

And the latest news? Well as a third country (our choice) every export UK businesses make now pay additional customs charges/VAT/transport fees under international (not EU) laws. However the UK Government, scared witless, is running away from all checking and tariff levying on imports to the UK from abroad until at least January 2022! This proving a smugglers charter, done because without open borders our food, medical and car production supplies etc would be drying up.

So the UK Government, which promised they’d take back control of our borders, has thrown them open to all, because the alternative is chaos. If you do fancy a start to a new drugs/dangerous goods/weapons smuggling enterprise, now is a good time😉

As any successful business will tell you, shouting at, insulting or otherwise slagging off the customer really is a bad idea.

Additionally threatening to ignore or breach international laws and ignoring our own as the UK is doing means trust is gone, trust being a key factor in any business relationship, international finance, commerce and diplomatic relations.

All this bull and bluster about Brexit and Europe is exactly that, bull and bluster. But the reality for us and our children’s future is that we are now haemorrhaging expertise, trade, jobs and international respect. But of course, we don’t need that do we, and anyway it’s all the EUs fault isn’t it, after all they started it Miss......doh!

did you write the above for The Guardian?

or maybe you are from the European Commission Press Office?

Fascinating use of multiple negatives in your post (implied connection, unrelated figures, pseudo-logic, disparate figures) which i suppose means you disagree, with emphases (the plural of emphasis), with the landlords train of thought...

A 'train of thought' often consists of a series of associations leading to all sorts of conclusions.

For others to understand, both the conclusion and the thought process leading to it should be explained.

Some people, however, will be unable to logically verbalise how their thought process works.

Usually these are either geniuses, or utter fools. Not sure which one they landlord is.

But of course it is quite possible that he is a genius and those who don't see the connection between these two figures (myself included) are utter fools.

If you do understand his genius, please educate us.

Where is your objective evidence for this statement? Especially the “strong voice across Europe” claim?
So all the laws and
April 2020 - NHS to benefit from £13.4 billion debt write off. More than 100 NHS hospitals to be rid of historic debt, freeing them up to invest in maintaining vital services and longer-term infrastructure improvements.

correct me if I’m wrong but in April 20 we were still in the EU and no savings had been made?

A 'train of thought' often consists of a series of associations leading to all sorts of conclusions.

For others to understand, both the conclusion and the thought process leading to it should be explained.

Some people, however, will be unable to logically verbalise how their thought process works.

Usually these are either geniuses, or utter fools. Not sure which one they landlord is.

But of course it is quite possible that he is a genius and those who don't see the connection between these two figures (myself included) are utter fools.

If you do understand his genius, please educate us.
Sorry i do not personally know the landlord of the pub in Bath to offer an explanation. Keir Starmer though eh. Leader of the "Labour" party. Who would have guessed he would be so lacking in empathy for the plight of the common man.

And if the landlord had served Starmer would he have paid for his own pint (more likely a shandy drinker) or asked for a receipt so he could claim expenses.

correct me if I’m wrong but in April 20 we were still in the EU and no savings had been made?
The transition period is the term used i believe.

The trade deal agreed in late December 2020 has still not been ratified by the EU despite being extended once already. The EU - UK post brexit trade deal as it stands today is still not legally binding.

did you write the above for The Guardian?

or maybe you are from the European Commission Press Office?
Is that really the best you can do? No wonder we’re in such a mess. For the record I don’t now and never have worked for or had any contact with the EU or the Guardian, but thanks for the comedy🤣

Reactions: JHS
The transition period is the term used i believe.

The trade deal agreed in late December 2020 has still not been ratified by the EU despite being extended once already. The EU - UK post brexit trade deal as it stands today is still not legally binding.

so let me get this straight, the trade deal has not been ratified, the TCO is not agreed, and you are claiming £Billions in savings from Brexit at a time of transition when no savings had been made? Really....

Reactions: JHS
so let me get this straight, the trade deal has not been ratified, the TCO is not agreed, and you are claiming £Billions in savings from Brexit at a time of transition when no savings had been made? Really....
Independence is such a chore for some isn't it. Someone get Ursula Von Trapp a chair please. After all she is terribly important don't you know. :p

Is there anyone who does not see that, but for Brexit, the UK would still be tied to EU procurement rules for covid vaccines.

That is to say, would not have been able to already vaccinate close to 35 million of its citizens?

That's one heck of an advantage, I would say ... and started in January, within one month of finally leaving.

The number of deaths registered in England and Wales was below the five-year average for the fifth consecutive week, the ONS said.
Some 9,098 deaths were registered in the week to April 9, 11.7% below the average for the corresponding period in 2015-19.
Prior to the five most recent weeks, the last time deaths had been below average was in the week to September 4 2020.

Is there anyone who does not see that, but for Brexit, the UK would still be tied to EU procurement rules for covid vaccines.

That is to say, would not have been able to already vaccinate close to 35 million of its citizens?

That's one heck of an advantage, I would say ... and started in January, within one month of finally leaving.
we could still have gone our own way on vaccines if we were still a member

further, if we were still a member, von der Lying would not have been able to use export ban against UK as export bans are for outside the EU not within

Sorry i do not personally know the landlord of the pub in Bath to offer an explanation.

So I am not the only one baffled by this odd statement made by the landlord?

...the average age of those who have died of Covid-19 (82 years and 2 months) is more than the average age of death normally in the UK (81 years)....

Good to know that I am not alone then.

'What if' is always very difficult when looking at events in retrospect. But I'll try anyway....

Had the Pandemic outbreak happened a year earlier, and we would still be in midst of Brexit transition when the vaccines became available, would Boris Johnson have done anything differently? Would the UK government have been sitting on their hands waiting for the other 27 EU member states to agree on a joint vaccination procurement policy? Somehow I don't really see us doing anything different from what we did.

But, of course, this is just one man's view.

So all the laws and

Your reply doesn’t make any sense and you haven’t offered any objective evidence. I can only conclude you offer no sensible argument.

Still seems out of character for this Govt. What happened to capitalism and free markets?

The Govt are throwing all sorts of threats about. I feel there is more to this than meets the eye.

(for information, i know absolutely nothing about football......or cricket....as it is sometimes called)
Talking of football and cricket, I don't care whether this super league happens but think that perhaps our government needs to step in to prevent proposed changes to cricket terminology that has been in place for well over 100 years. Come on Boris, John Major would never have let this happen. It's just not cricket old chap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom