Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The total of about 2.7 million represents about half the Scottish population.
Galloping apathy combined with less than sparkling campaigns from Conservative, Labour and LibDems brought us to where we are.

The Nationalists have passion and are focussed on one issue, the other parties are so diffuse and incoherent its hard to know what they stand for. Saying "vote for us to stop the SNP" isn't much of a sales pitch is it?

They could have raised any number of absolutely shocking SNP failings from the Nike Conference, through Covid transfers into care homes, the disastrous ferry contracts, hospitals that can't open or kill people, loss of maternity wards or the missing relief funding sent from the Treasury. Instead it was all about independence which actually gave the notion more credibility and raised the prospect as a real issue instead of it remaining as Nicola Sturgeons dream.

Whilst the hospitality, travel and entertainment sectors are dying up here, the solution seems to be "free" bicycles, laptops, bus passes and no council tax for under 22s. Wonder how all those SNP voters will feel when their favourite pubs, clubs and hotels close down for good and they have to sit watching whilst those living in rUK head off to their holidays in the sun?

I guess they'll get a rosy glow of contentment watching their kids play computer games or head off on their shiny new bikes......

I'm deeply uncomfortable that as a British citizen that Ms Sturgeon has stated at times that I can travel with freedom within Scotland but not to the rest of the UK - and particularly England. My view is that we need a sort of Magna Carta type declararion of UK rights that curtails this sort of arbitrary petty control on public freedom by Holyrood and that the authority over where as a citizen I can travel is a matter for Her Majesty's Government and not some toxic separatist martinette in Holyrood trying to demonstrate power over me to establish division in the UK.
this was by far the most obnoxious odious crap invented by Sturgeon to stoke division. Utterly reprehensible.

all done in the name of controlling CV19 in the same country .. against a background of similar cases, infections, hospitalisations.

this was by far the most obnoxious odious crap invented by Sturgeon to stoke division. Utterly reprehensible.

all done in the name of controlling CV19 in the same country .. against a background of similar cases, infections, hospitalisations.
In one word - Separatism. Then will come Republicism and a Fascist State

Anyone familiar with the formation of the Third Reich ?

Throughout the C-19 pandemic, wee Krankie has done all she can to differentiate the response to Covid in Scotland from that announced by Westminster for England (the Welsh assembly have behaved similarly). Thus ‘demonstrating’ that the SNP ’know what is best for the people of Scotland, not Westminster’. Blatant political posturing, at the potential risk to the interests and lives of the very people she espouses to ’protect’. Utterly despicable. And yet, the SNP are returned to power by what seems to be a gullible electorate.

She knew best that well that it took the intervention of the British Army to organise the vaccination rollout.

That was after she appointed her Minister for Rural Affairs to be Minister for Vaccine Rollout

It beggars belief the cronyism in that party

The media played Brexit as being one fixed side against another.

The reality is a spectrum of views.

Even the quesrion about indepedence (yes or no) is subject to interpretation.

My anger about the situation in Scotland is that the political situation and regional government is dominated by the independence question as if it were one thing and SNP are in a position to drive it from a position of being in power as opposed to justify it as a non-government campaign. Scotland is now in a rut with only one exit with the SNP dominating Holyrood. It is too easy for the SNP to take a contrarian path on issues for their own sake at Scotland's expense rather than being constructive - because profit an approach that seeks to grind out more and more division even if it hurts Scotland. And they can show largesses with taxpayers' money because they are not held accountable for the fiscal arithmetic and can spend money raised elsewhere in the UK.

The structure of the UK with the UK parliament and English parliament being the same thing doesn't help matters. A reorganisation with devolved administration of English regions along with Scotland, Wales, and NI under a federal UK parliament would be much healthier.

I'm deeply uncomfortable that as a British citizen that Ms Sturgeon has stated at times that I can travel with freedom within Scotland but not to the rest of the UK - and particularly England. My view is that we need a sort of Magna Carta type declararion of UK rights that curtails this sort of arbitrary petty control on public freedom by Holyrood and that the authority over where as a citizen I can travel is a matter for Her Majesty's Government and not some toxic separatist martinette in Holyrood trying to demonstrate power over me to establish division in the UK.
Well said.

Not exactly a mandate for an independence referendum!
In a system of proportional representation, I’d agree.

In the prevailing system of first-past-the-post constituency politics, it’s the number of seats not votes. There is a majority of pro-independence seats in Holyrood. Given the clear signalling ahead of the election, it’s not surprising to see the rhetoric emanating from the SNP.

The rhetoric also known as the ‘Neverendum’

Cry like a spoiled child that doesn’t get their way.

You just know there would never be the same wish to have any referendum to re-instate the Union in the event of Independence.

Independence so magnificent that the first thing that the SNP would do is to join the EU and secede power and decision making to others.

It’s quite plain to see that all the SNP do is hate England. Pure and simple hatred.

The rhetoric also known as the ‘Neverendum’

Cry like a spoiled child that doesn’t get their way.

You just know there would never be the same wish to have any referendum to re-instate the Union in the event of Independence.

Independence so magnificent that the first thing that the SNP would do is to join the EU and secede power and decision making to others.

It’s quite plain to see that all the SNP do is hate England. Pure and simple hatred.
I think it’s also about Sturgeon desperately wanting her place in Scottish history as some kind of political hero, wresting independence from the colonial despots otherwise known as the English.

Both the Scottish Independence referendum and the Brexit referendum were 'granted' by the UK Government under David Cameron with the expectation that it won't pass and that it will finally 'put the matter to rest' and 'we shall hear no more about it'.

The Brexit referendum clearly backfired. In contrast, the Scottish Independence referendum 'went to plan', but only up to a point - if didn't put the matter to rest.

Boris Johnson is many things, but a fool he's not. There's absolutely no logical reason for his to ever agree to another Scottish Independence referendum. There are only too possibilities: it will either pass, or it won't and the SNP will continue to bang on the subject as they have done so far, insisting on IndyRef3 (and then 4, and5...).

So why would he engage in something that can't possibly have a positive outcome for the UK? What could IndyRef2 achieve that IndyRef1 didn't? If IndyRef1 didn't put the matter to rest, IndyRef2 certainly won't. The only thing it will achieve is become a precedence to the fact that referendums can be repeated again and again.

Last edited:
Any claim for a referendum would need to be approved by Westminster.

The Union is set in Statute.

The tinpot administration in Holyrood should just get on to trying to do their f***king job - be the devolved administration for Scotland.

The only option available to Sturgeon - in the event that a second referendum doesn't take place - is to get on with the separation anyway.

Now, half of the population of Scotland may support independence... but how many of them support a rebellion?

In such circumstances, the UK will surely be obliged to support the majority, who do not want a rebellion?

The tinpot administration in Holyrood should just get on to trying to do their f***king job - be the devolved administration for Scotland.

^This

But this responsibility doesn't just lie with the SNP contingent - but all the MSPs and all of the public servants at Holyrood.

Then maybe it wouldn't be a tinpot administration.

It might also help if the UK media took a greater interest and maybe shamed the Scottish media into being a bit less passive and supine.

The Ferguson Marine debacle needs a deeper investigation. Not just into the letting of the contracts, but the management, supervision, financing, and the decision making relating to the nationalisation of the yard, and the subsequent discoveries, financing, and supervsion after it was nationalised.

A more minor issue but also important is that there needs to be some sort of review of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 (Tolerable Standard) (Extension of Criterion) Order 2019. Not just the actual implementation (buried and conveniently forgotten until February 2022) but how it was passed and the lack of basic oversight across the parties and media around Holyrood - and how it came to be that it was passed - and how it came to be that the Scottish public only became widekly aware oif its implications through private companies soliciting business. It's minor in the overall scheme of things but it stands as an ominous warning as to how Holyrood can advance legislation withoput proper scrutiny and then actually allow its implementation to proceed without proper communication with the public. Rather than face or explain its implementation to the public Ms Sturgeon's administration swept it under the carpet for a year.

I‘ve copied this and have no idea whether are not the claims are true. However if they are it doesn’t look good for the people of Scotland if they’re not true it would seem Project Fear Mk2 has began

To all the SNP and Independence supporters in Scotland please answer this. Scotland currently spends £15 billion pounds a year more than it receives in taxes from the Scottish people. Thats 15 BILLION POUNDS a year. How on earth are you going to make up that money every year?
I'll tell you how. Get independence and everyone in Scotland's taxes will rise (we are already the highest taxed in the U.K.). Get independence and:-
Say goodbye to free prescriptions.
Say goodbye to free higher education.
Say goodbye to the millions received from the Barnett formula.
Say goodbye to the tourist industry. Over 75% of our tourism comes from the rest of the UK and many of them are fed up at being harassed and called names by nationalists.
Our biggest trading partner is the rest of the UK. Say goodbye to that.
Say goodbye to our state pensions. Westminster has already stated that state pensions will be the sole responsibility of the Scottish Government the day after Independence.
Don't say oil is our big money saviour. People working in the oil industry in Aberdeen say it’s worth "shit". Plus, the oil fields are mainly in Scottish waters, but the gas is more or less all in English waters. So, what we make from oil, we lose from gas. Don’t mention wind power as the SNP have already destroyed that industry with the disgusting BiFab fiasco!
What about the 16,000 Defence Jobs that will be lost when Holy Loch is shut down?
What about the loss of highly skilled jobs at BAE on the Clyde and Rosyth?
What about the private companies that would register in England to avoid the damaging taxes and levies that would be imposed on private business?
What about the Banking and Corporate Jobs that would be lost as jobs are relocated South during the transition phase, never to return?
We wouldn't even have our own currency. Don’t listen to MSP Emma Harper who says that credit and debit cards can be used all over the world! But in what currency??!! We can’t use the £ as this is governed by the Bank of England, yes, the England you all hate. They would not allow Sterling to be used by a country OUTSIDE of the United Kingdom, which an independent Scotland would be!
We will have 8% of the UK dept to pay which, due to the last year, is in the trillions. Don’t believe the SNP who say that Scotland won’t have to repay that debt. Try saying that to your credit card company and see what happens!
Go independent and become an instant 3rd world country, run by a corrupt tin pot dictator. A 3rd world country would be the last thing the EU would allow back in. If you don’t have the entry fee, you can’t join the party!
You would literally be like another load of turkeys voting for Christmas.
When all your chips have fallen off your shoulders and you have washed the blue paint off your faces, you would soon realise that all you have done is cut off your noses to spite your faces.
Remember, it was a Scottish King that united the Kingdoms in the first place over 400 years ago. Please share this post. It’s of the upmost importance that the people of Scotland realise what they are doing to our nation.
And when you realise what a massive blunder you have made in achieving your “freedumb” don’t think for an instance that the UK will be prepared to let you rejoin the Union that you so blatantly despise.

Where ever Scotland go Wales are looking to follow. While they do bleat on about independence they do it more quietly, watching Scotland for the way to present it.
BJ obstructing Scotland in such desires also prevents Wales becoming more complicated.

I consider N.I to be another subject. The eu followed by Brexit seems to be the cause for renewed anger there.

A united Ireland is something I would like to see and the political landscape is drifting slowly in that direction as the backward looking Orangemen become outnumbered. One of the stumbling blocks will be the disastrous Barnett formula. The south have said they would vote for a united Ireland but not if they have to take over the UK role of paymaster for the North and who could blame them.

The Barnett formula has been a grossly expensive and failed weapon in the fight against nationalism in Scotland and Wales and it's an own goal for the unification of Ireland. In fact it's an own goal against the English tax payers who resent subsidising people some of whom profess to hate them. It's time for the Barnett formula to be replaced with something fairer all round.

I‘ve copied this and have no idea whether are not the claims are true. However if they are it doesn’t look good for the people of Scotland if they’re not true it would seem Project Fear Mk2 has began

To all the SNP and Independence supporters in Scotland please answer this. Scotland currently spends £15 billion pounds a year more than it receives in taxes from the Scottish people. Thats 15 BILLION POUNDS a year. How on earth are you going to make up that money every year?
I'll tell you how. Get independence and everyone in Scotland's taxes will rise (we are already the highest taxed in the U.K.). Get independence and:-
Say goodbye to free prescriptions.
Say goodbye to free higher education.
Say goodbye to the millions received from the Barnett formula.
Say goodbye to the tourist industry. Over 75% of our tourism comes from the rest of the UK and many of them are fed up at being harassed and called names by nationalists.
Our biggest trading partner is the rest of the UK. Say goodbye to that.
Say goodbye to our state pensions. Westminster has already stated that state pensions will be the sole responsibility of the Scottish Government the day after Independence.
Don't say oil is our big money saviour. People working in the oil industry in Aberdeen say it’s worth "shit". Plus, the oil fields are mainly in Scottish waters, but the gas is more or less all in English waters. So, what we make from oil, we lose from gas. Don’t mention wind power as the SNP have already destroyed that industry with the disgusting BiFab fiasco!
What about the 16,000 Defence Jobs that will be lost when Holy Loch is shut down?
What about the loss of highly skilled jobs at BAE on the Clyde and Rosyth?
What about the private companies that would register in England to avoid the damaging taxes and levies that would be imposed on private business?
What about the Banking and Corporate Jobs that would be lost as jobs are relocated South during the transition phase, never to return?
We wouldn't even have our own currency. Don’t listen to MSP Emma Harper who says that credit and debit cards can be used all over the world! But in what currency??!! We can’t use the £ as this is governed by the Bank of England, yes, the England you all hate. They would not allow Sterling to be used by a country OUTSIDE of the United Kingdom, which an independent Scotland would be!
We will have 8% of the UK dept to pay which, due to the last year, is in the trillions. Don’t believe the SNP who say that Scotland won’t have to repay that debt. Try saying that to your credit card company and see what happens!
Go independent and become an instant 3rd world country, run by a corrupt tin pot dictator. A 3rd world country would be the last thing the EU would allow back in. If you don’t have the entry fee, you can’t join the party!
You would literally be like another load of turkeys voting for Christmas.
When all your chips have fallen off your shoulders and you have washed the blue paint off your faces, you would soon realise that all you have done is cut off your noses to spite your faces.
Remember, it was a Scottish King that united the Kingdoms in the first place over 400 years ago. Please share this post. It’s of the upmost importance that the people of Scotland realise what they are doing to our nation.
And when you realise what a massive blunder you have made in achieving your “freedumb” don’t think for an instance that the UK will be prepared to let you rejoin the Union that you so blatantly despise.

Her intention is to find another teat at which to suckle those billions.

I doubt she cares from where .... EU, China or Russia. The latter 2 are reasons why Boris either cannot give a referendum or arrange it so that one will fall ..... how about benefitting from the Brexit experience by doing the withdrawal agreement first? That would be interesting.

I suspect many Scots believe that a reduction in wealth is a price worth paying for freedom.

As an Englishman, when I voted to leave the EU i was resigned to the possibility that my wealth may take a hit but i was happy to accept that in exchange for regaining control over our own affairs.

So far, i haven’t noticed any appreciable to my personal wealth.

I suspect many Scots believe that a reduction in wealth is a price worth paying for freedom.

As an Englishman, when I voted to leave the EU i was resigned to the possibility that my wealth may take a hit but i was happy to accept that in exchange for regaining control over our own affairs.

So far, i haven’t noticed any appreciable to my personal wealth.
There’s a huge difference between increased costs due to EU bureaucracy and the absolute financial Armageddon of independence from the wealth of rUK.

Sturgeon is acting like a truculent teenager so fed up with living at home she can no longer appreciate the benefits and is desperate to get her own place. But unlike that teenager who could always come home after finding life outside isn’t as rosy as they thought, the door back into rUK would be firmly closed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom