Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
China alone emits 28% of all man-made co2 and commissions a new, coal-fired power station every 10 weeks. India is not far behind.
Or to put it another way, China produces 7.38 tonnes per capita, the UK 5.55. and India 1.91.

Or to put it another way, China produces 7.38 tonnes per capita, the UK 5.55. and India 1.91.

Thanks - but there's much greater capita in China in India!

2016 is a few years out of date. On a positive note the UK has continued to improve every year since then and carbon emissions were down to 4.66 tonnes per capita by 2020.

Much of the media is in Hysteria mode again over the rise in base rates to 1.75% and inflation prediction. I wonder what they would make of the rates in the early 80's which rose to 17%. I think we could be confident they would be predicting the end of the world. But the world didn't end and even though I can recall paying double digit mortgage rates for several years I survived and I'm still here.

Back then we didn't have the expectation that the government would bail us out of every little hardship that came along nor did vast swaths of the public continually play the poverty card. My view is that we are reaping the bad effects of excessive compensation paid out during lockdown. Not only did that help cause inflation but Boris/Rishi taught the public to expect handouts at every turn and that's going to do lasting damage to the economy. Every one seems to be adopting the money tree philosophy of Jeremy Corbin (what greater condemnation could there be) by refusing to grasp the concept that the government does not have any money that they don't raise through taxation.

Welcome to the world of populist politics heavily influenced by the social media- in the alternative reality created by this technology people are positively encouraged to create the world they want for themselves as opposed to the way it really is. This new "individual personal consciousness" is calculated to deprive them of any true frame of reference by way of a confused information overload environment in which the social media giants are highly complicit for economic gain.

Much of the media is in Hysteria mode again over the rise in base rates to 1.75% and inflation prediction. I wonder what they would make of the rates in the early 80's which rose to 17%. I think we could be confident they would be predicting the end of the world. But the world didn't end and even though I can recall paying double digit mortgage rates for several years I survived and I'm still here.

Back then we didn't have the expectation that the government would bail us out of every little hardship that came along nor did vast swaths of the public continually play the poverty card. My view is that we are reaping the bad effects of excessive compensation paid out during lockdown. Not only did that help cause inflation but Boris/Rishi taught the public to expect handouts at every turn and that's going to do lasting damage to the economy. Every one seems to be adopting the money tree philosophy of Jeremy Corbin (what greater condemnation could there be) by refusing to grasp the concept that the government does not have any money that they don't raise through taxation.
Covid has caused 'big government' in most countries. As I see it, it was the style of the eu prior to covid. That being bribery with pretend money.
Are 'we' to see an increase of this, it feels like it.

The greater our restrictions and the more dependant we are on the gov't the easier we are to manage.
All dependant on this being accepted by the masses.

I feel our bleeders have watched Putin and been envious at many of his strategies, because he has succeeded in a much greater level of control than the West, and generally it is accepted. I'm not promoting it.

He dictates policy, it is then in the direction of his choosing, the West can't do that, yet.
Civil unrest is far more civilised / controlled.
Would Boris have seen advantage of popping off Sunak as he walked by the Thames?
At 6pm each day he could invite an industry leader to regurgitate his own opinions on his own TV show. On TV our bleeder / politician's can't get a word in.

A new trend of giving the masses treats (or bread and circuses) at the expense of the tax payer is now normalised.
MP's are bleating that because the price of beans or summat has gone up that the gov't should help the poor, and not so poor, pay for it.
The kiddies are becoming more dependant on daddy, or big brother maybe.
Is the ease of our travel being more restricted?

How will this new world thing materialise?

Ask me next week.

What I don't understand, inflation is caused in the main by the high increases in gas and electricity which we have no control over yet the Bank of England seem to think that their old tactic of increasing interest rates will stem the flow. Do they not realise they are only adding to the inflation with increase in lending, mortgages etc

Isn't the answer to force the oil companies to lower fuel prices (they are making record profits after all) and then for the government to set a cap on prices there after based on the cost of producing petrol and diesel. Energy prices are clearly at an all time high but I don't fully understand why this is affecting us when we seem to have an excess of gas, so much so that we are desperately trying to send more to our European neighbours.

What I don't understand, inflation is caused in the main by the high increases in gas and electricity which we have no control over yet the Bank of England seem to think that their old tactic of increasing interest rates will stem the flow. Do they not realise they are only adding to the inflation with increase in lending, mortgages etc

To me the difference between 30-40 years ago and today is the amount of debt folk have today. Back in the day I bought a house with a mortgage and we didn't have carpets upstairs and only 2 garden chairs in the living room. Things could only be bought once they'd been saved for. Probably sounds familiar to many on here?

That debt is only going to increase at the same time as savings are whittled away by inflation. Cue Big State intervention is either printing more money or, more likely, taking on a massive sovereign debt. That will need to be backed by assets. probably yours and mine.

Isn't the answer to force the oil companies to lower fuel prices (they are making record profits after all)

It's not only energy companies that are taking us to the cleaners. Look at petrol retailers and their profit margins. And while car manufacturers are struggling with volume due to chip shortage etc, all of them are announcing record profits in spite of significantly reduced sales. Controlling supply of cars to the market is now a declared strategy in order to keep prices high.

Covid has turned out to be a great excuse for profiteering and manipulation of the public in all sorts of ways.

It's not only energy companies that are taking us to the cleaners. Look at petrol retailers and their profit margins. And while car manufacturers are struggling with volume due to chip shortage etc, all of them are announcing record profits in spite of significantly reduced sales. Controlling supply of cars to the market is now a declared strategy in order to keep prices high.

Covid has turned out to be a great excuse for profiteering and manipulation of the public in all sorts of ways.
As I'm retired, the shopping is my baby and it's noticeable that things are going up by disproportionate amounts. Not just a few pence here and there - 20p-30p on circa £2.00 items. Really do think that retailers are "fulfilling expectations"

As I'm retired, the shopping is my baby and it's noticeable that things are going up by disproportionate amounts. Not just a few pence here and there - 20p-30p on circa £2.00 items. Really do think that retailers are "fulfilling expectations"
An observation around the causes of this.

My parents live in a rural farming area, with delicious vegetable crops lining the fields most of the time time and rotated.

One thing that I always find peculiar and an example (because this is one of the regular crops in the area). Cauliflowers are always growing in one field or another. Come harvest time, they take about 1 in 10 because it 'has to be the right size'. Ever noticed how all caulis are virtually identical size in supermarkets?

Food prices are going through the roof due to 'shortages', and yet 90% of this crop is left to rot in the fields and eventually ploughed back in. Some caulis as big as basket balls, other the size of a small grapefruit and incredibly succulent (I know, because the farmer says after harvest, take what you want).

I don't know how this applies to other crops, but if this is happening across more things, it's an example of how corporations are doing one thing to maximise profits, whilst pretending something else is happening to justify those profits.

Does anyone have any experience of similar things?

There is only so much the supermarkets can do without jeopardising stocking levels.
The input costs to maintain/run food production facilities are increasing at a staggering rate. Cut costs there and plant breakdowns will ensue followed by empty supermarket shelves.
Better to have stocked shelves of more expensive food than empty shelves of cheaper food.

Users who are viewing this thread

• m80
Back
Top Bottom