Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that the decrease in EU nationals working in the UK should not be taken only in context of pure financial merit.

You often hear them air their concerns regarding the future, due to the current uncertainty. They are not drifters, many of them look for a place to settle with a steady job, and at current the UK does not seem to them like the right place for it.

After Brexit, perhaps there will be more clarity again, and people can resume their long terms plans accordingly.

I'm not at all sure you could describe it as being "like heaven for employees" since the majority of jobs taken by EU migrants are low-skill and low-pay in fields, factories, the hospitality industry etc..

So regardless of any changes to the availability of cheap labour, a 12-hour shift in Mike Ashley's Sports Direct warehouse isn't "heaven" for anyone.
The whole point is that when workers have more choice, employers need to make the jobs they offer more attractive than their competitors. This means they will need to offer shorter hours and higher wages etc if they want to be able to staff the positions they need.

The whole point is that when workers have more choice, employers need to make the jobs they offer more attractive than their competitors. This means they will need to offer shorter hours and higher wages etc if they want to be able to staff the positions they need.

I really don't see Brexit making a significant difference.

Let's not forget that as well as allowing current EU nationals to remain in the UK after Brexit, the government has also been forced to agree to allow those who arrive here during the "transition period" (due to last until at least December 2020) indefinite leave to remain so I don't envisage labour shortages and associated improvements for existing workers occurring anytime soon.

And once all the uncertainty is over, it is highly likely that we will have been compelled to make major, permanent concessions over free movement of labour.

Last edited:
That's what I thought, but he said that when you factor in living costs he could still make marginally more in the UK but that the delta wasn't great enough to be worthwhile in his case.

Indeed we are seeing a similar trend in Lithuania where many construction workers, for example, are returning because of the growing demand in the local construction industry. Whilst average salaries may be well below the UK and other western EU countries, in certain sectors workers are now paid quite well.

I really don't see Brexit making a significant difference.

I don't know that it did... I was merely elaborating on the article linked in SPX's post. The figures and analysis there suggested that it did. Whether it's true or not I do not know....

Choice; its interesting to me as I have recently handed my notice in. My employer was not flexible regarding working location (basically wanted me in the HQ all the time when not visiting customers-who are EXCLUSIVELY overseas). So I checked the "market" and found I could have a home based role (when not visiting my customers) that pays more and I don't have to pay for the privilege of commuting.

The recruitment guy basically admitted finding German speaking sales professionals like me is the devils own work. As part of the package negotiation we agreed I would get an automatic 5% increase after 6 months if I met the agreed targets ( which are not challenging this year).

One of the reasons I sort flexibility from my employer is I no longer wish to live in the hole that Birmingham has become and so we are moving somewhere remote. Uncontrolled immigration is part of what prompted that decision. So I asked my employer if I could work 2 days a week remotely and in return I was prepared to rent a room close to the HQ to stop a few nights a week. The answer was "i need to think about it" which was code for "no but I have not got the balls to say it directly to you". I therefore voted with my feet.

I will be honest and say I don't particularly want to leave but circumstances have brought me to this point. I look forward to the change and you can be sure I will work hard for my new employer as I appreciate the trust they place in me to do the job remotely and what that means for my work/life balance.

So I was passed this juicy doc by my friend.

I'm not usually one for youtube videos but gave it a chance and was pleased to see claims backed up by lots of references, names, dates, events etc.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Enjoy

I'm not usually one for youtube videos but gave it a chance and was pleased to see claims backed up by lots of references, names, dates, events etc.

Enjoy
Enjoy????

Enjoy
“Enjoy” is not the right word.

haha sorry guys, I did question the use of 'enjoy' as I typed it but shrugged it off.

Let's replace that 'enjoy' with 'happy awakenings and please share to raise awareness'.

This thread if for debating party-political issues... since the paedophilia allegations span across decades and parties alike, personally I don't think this is the right place for this topic.

This thread if for debating party-political issues... since the paedophilia allegations span across decades and parties alike, personally I don't think this is the right place for this topic.

Maybe there should be a pedant's thread for those who object to the use of single words like enjoy.

This thread if for debating party-political issues, and since the definition of the word 'pedant' is not... OK I'll get my coat

Home Page
I always like to know which hymn sheet we are singing from? I imagine this latest effort from Sonia will easily pass the "old grey whistle test" and make her a bob or two. You can always rely on Moon Spoon June and Paedophilia to get those toes tapping or tongues wagging even if it sounds like a tune you have heard many times before. Forgive the musical metaphor but she did start off as a music Journo. ;)

Wouldn't that be pedants', as there are undoubtedly more than one on this forum. I include myself proudly in that number.

:p:D
I did wonder about the apostrophe but eventually decided on leaving it as the thread would belong to the pedants making it correct.

Have I got that wrong?

Having re-read your post it's obvious that I have.

Clever clogs!

I beg to differ. As you say, we know that allegations have come for decades yet action never seems to be taken. Your response is a typical of someone who has become desensitised to these things and thinks nothing of it but I personally have a problem with our politicians and lords fiddling with little kids. I mean I can see that they are in certain positions of immunity because of the roles they play but do you guys not have a problem with that? Do you think it's simply okay because they are rich and powerful enough to get away from disgusting crimes against children? Or are you simply one of those who believe it's a conspiracy and there is nothing further to it? In that instance, I laugh at you for being so ignorant and naive.

If it's party/political issues you want to discuss then I can break that down for you.

Promises are made to use by elected party X. Promises are broken by elected party X and change never comes. We elect different party Y who promise to bring change and prosperity. Change and prosperity never comes and promises are broken again. Never mind, we elect party X again and the vicious cycle begins again. When do we wake up and smell the air folks?

Maybe there should be a pedant's thread for those who object to the use of single words like enjoy.

haha some of the stuff you post is priceless. I didn't even think it were that bad. But then again, I have severe dyslexia lol.

Home Page
I always like to know which hymn sheet we are singing from? I imagine this latest effort from Sonia will easily pass the "old grey whistle test" and make her a bob or two. You can always rely on Moon Spoon June and Paedophilia to get those toes tapping or tongues wagging even if it sounds like a tune you have heard many times before. Forgive the musical metaphor but she did start off as a music Journo. ;)

There isn't no hymm sheet we are all signing from, you have a brain of your own to think for yourself. Use it. Don't follow crowds like a sheep.

I assume Sonia was once upon a time graduate journo and just like every other grad journo she would have had to start somewhere. To put her down like that is a bit low. We don't all enjoy the luxury of opulent inheritance, some of us got to start from rock bottom and put in solid graft to get where we are today. Sure she may make a few bob on her youtube videos but she would have made far more if her documentary was broadcast on national TV. But no broadcasting corporation would go anywhere near that type of material. She has given that up easy money role to set up her own channel on youtube and I think we should cut her some slack for that if you want to speculate.

Last edited:
But this isn't a political issue. It's about abuse of power and that's a problem wherever we look. Personally I don't think we treat sexual abuse severely enough. Be it some fat, slobbering politician, or a pissed up parent abusing his or her spouse and kids.

Shyam27, this thread is for UK politics, not UK crime.

Unless you believe that paedophilia (or antisemitism, or Islamophobia, or homophobia, etc etc) is rife in one or more particular party as oppose to other parties, or that a specific serving politician is a paedophile (or an antisemitise, or Islamophobe, or homophobe, etc etc) then this thread is not the right place for it.

Hope this makes sense.

Talking to a friend today who’s also interested in politics and we’ve come to the conclusion that if a general election was called tomorrow the results would be barely any different to the current MP’s - people think Theresa May is weak and not a good PM but the thought of someone like Corbyn getting the top job absolutely petrifies people is worse.

So, much like the US Trump v Clinton choice, where people voted for the one they disliked the least, it looks like we’ll be stuck with this malaise for the foreseeable future.

The best chance for either party to win a majority is to get a new leader, one who is fresh and not tainted by previous dogmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom