Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Perhaps the phrases "Creative accountancy" and " Turning a blind eye " spring to mind

Not really. The Ford plant in Turkey involved a loan to Ford not a grant - there is a big difference.

And although I have a sneaking suspicion that "I Love The EU" may have their own agenda, it provided links to a wide range of mainstream media sources, ranging from the Mirror to the Financial Times, which dispute or disprove each item in your list.

Amusing analysis of Corbyn's "I'm never wrong about anything" attitude in the Independent

I'm surprised little has been mentioned of the Libdems.

Why?

Well what seems to be talked up here is a new party made up of not just disaffected Labour - but disaffected Conservatives.

But hang on a minute? Isn't that some sort of convergence on the centre ground - and isn't that Libdem territory?

So maybe the real story here isn't 'The Independent Group' (Sounds vaguely like a newspaper that once used to have some standing) or the murmurings that they may be joined by some Conservatives. Instead it's the complete eclipse of the Libdems.

Anna Soubry has announced she has resigned from the Conservative party and is joining the other 8 ex Labour MP's pushing for a second referendum. She'll soon be out of a job then!

I'm surprised little has been mentioned of the Libdems.

Why?

Well what seems to be talked up here is a new party made up of not just disaffected Labour - but disaffected Conservatives.

But hang on a minute? Isn't that some sort of convergence on the centre ground - and isn't that Libdem territory?

So maybe the real story here isn't 'The Independent Group' (Sounds vaguely like a newspaper that once used to have some standing) or the murmurings that they may be joined by some Conservatives. Instead it's the complete eclipse of the Libdems.

Will disinfected politicians be any better than the infected lot?

Ms Sourb says she has more in common with a founding member of the little Independant Party.
Seems to me they all have more in common with the SNP, maybe they will all party in Edinburgh.

I would like to see British politics get a good shake up for a shape up, but I don't see good foundations, yet.

Anna Soubry has announced she has resigned from the Conservative party and is joining the other 8 ex Labour MP's pushing for a second referendum. She'll soon be out of a job then!

Yep, she wants a second referendum 'cos she says voters didn't know what they were voting for and they know better now.

Just like her constituents, then. She could set the example for us all by resigning her seat and putting the vote to the people in her constituency.

Reactions: m80
I think you will find there has been a number of varied opinions on this thread already.

I think there is a fair point there,
Soubry's constituents didn't know what they voted for when voting out with a 9.3% majority,
but the same question isn't applicable when her constituents voted her in with a 1.5% majority over Labour.
While she is banging this drum I do question if it is right to do so in the name of 'her' electorate.

Shouldn't there be a by election in all the constituencies that the defectors represent as surely they no longer represent what the voters voted for?

Reactions: m80
As an academic discussion... one would like to believe that (in a perfect world) had we not been leaving, the EU would have insisted on commitment from all Japanese car manufacturers to maintain their EU-based production for an x number of years as part of the trade deal that saw the removal of tariffs on Japanese cars imported into the EU. After all this is what economy of scale is all about.

Shouldn't there be a by election in all the constituencies that the defectors represent as surely they no longer represent what the voters voted for?
You mean like Brexit doesn't represent what the voters voted for on a referendum?

As an academic discussion... one would like to believe that (in a perfect world) had we not been leaving, the EU would have insisted on commitment from all Japanese car manufacturers to maintain their EU-based production for an x number of years as part of the trade deal that saw the removal of tariffs on Japanese cars imported into the EU. After all this is what economy of scale is all about.
It would be good to know if UK had a representative during those negotiations.

UK report on the impact foresaw a small increase in vehicle exports to Japan but a large increase in vehicle imports from Japan. I don't think it foresaw a decrease in vehicle production by the Japanese in the UK or in any market closely attached to the EU.

If the UK didn't see that as a risk then it would be a bit unfair to point a finger at the EU.

You mean like Brexit doesn't represent what the voters voted for on a referendum?

More of, it can't be known how many voted for the Party that the Independants no longer represent.
It can't be known how many voted for a candidate on the manifesto of Brexit means Brexit and "We shall carry out the wishes of the people".

For an ex Tory who 'still' is representing a constituency that voted fairly convincingly for leave to state the voters didn't know (hints at them being too stupid to know) what they voted for is just plain arrogance, as a minimum.

Last edited:
The Independents will soon be forgotten IMO considering who it consists of. I know most, maybe all were due for deselection? By the by and forgetting brexit for a a moment, they literally are, same 5hit, different bucket and probably the biggest pain in the ar5e from both parties. How long did it take for one to come out with a racist remark which if it was anyone else they'd rip them from breakfast till a55holes.

Although you do need to ask the question why they've set up as a private company and not a political party and ask who is bank rolling them and I'm sure I read somewhere since yesterday that it's registered abroad, although I've not looked into that to verify it.

Going back to the motor industry. It was only a matter of time before sales slumped and especially in the UK who seem to be the most car conscious snobby country in Europe and if not the world. How many cars can you fit in the island bearing in mind we have a Government along with most of Europe, who make a hell of a lot of money from motors and motorists, which includes the cars themselves, duty, other associated taxes, RFL (or whatever they call it now), IPT on insurance, etc. Then on top of that there is fines for doing things wrong like speeding, parking, etc. Then congestion charges, etc. Just simply cash cows. Then include the manufacturing costs side of motors, parts, etc. The cull that has funnelled down that diesel is satans children then you have to ask why didn't the Uk G'ment along with the EU make a proper and decisive plan before culling the motoring industry that then have no option to change to EV's.

How much money do they really need from us?

If you've ever seen a dog having a crap then this is what has happened to the industry in reverse and then they wonder why it doesn't work properly, hurts and gets messy.

I've just been nosying at the UK petitions,
Leave no deal - 354,432.
Peoples vote if WA rejected - 135,268.
Revoke Article 50 if no plan by Feb 25 - 127,448.
Stop Brexit if Parliament rejects the deal - 29,267.

For balance
Walk away now! We voted for a No Deal Brexit - 23,083.
(Not very well articulated that one.)

Interesting, even if it's argued that this isn't the true feeling of the people.

The outright winner of the day, and I've just added to the number,

Stop all ISIS members returning to the UK - 465,008.

Second vote petition: 1,000,000.

One million people sign The Independent's petition for a Final Say on Brexit vote

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom