The ultimate home security....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DuFFmAn

I was bored pretending to be busy at work when I had the ultimate home security idea to deter intruders....

Buy a police car... and park it on your driveway :rolleyes:

I mean.. who would break into a property with this park outside it!!...

I think it's brilliance! :bannana:....

Anyone else bored?
policecar.jpg

I would imagine a criminal could find a few uses for an authentic-looking police car. Might just encourage them to break in to your house in search of the keys, especially if they'd observed that it tended not to move from one week to the next...

They did something like this on the M55 near Blackpool. I seem to recall it was firstly a real one and then a mock-up which was moved around. I believe it had quite an impact on speeding - not sure why they stopped it!

Let's stamp on a brilliant wheeze...

Assuming you could buy a police car with all the trimmings, which I doubt, then you would face the small matter of getting over the problem that impersonating the police is a serious offence...

Mr Plod would almost certainly consider that you were trying to give the impression you were a policeman (why else would you have a police car??)

Nice try...but back to the boring board I think!!

They did something like this on the M55 near Blackpool. I seem to recall it was firstly a real one and then a mock-up which was moved around. I believe it had quite an impact on speeding - not sure why they stopped it!
Someone set fire to the cardboard cut out parked just off an M55 motorway bridge. :bannana::bannana:

Mr Plod would almost certainly consider that you were trying to give the impression you were a policeman (why else would you have a police car??)
So how do they get away with it in films /tv etc?

I have an equally cunning plan.. rather than buy an expensive sports car.... just make a few modifications to your existing car.. this will surely foil would-be thieves..
cardboard_car.jpg

Nice idea!!

I see stickered up faux Police cars at petrol stations regularly.

Not sure who it fools, as the car is there for days, is parked in a prominent position, and there's no sign of a Police officer in a big glass fronted box!! Not to mention when you get up close and realise there's a blue light and stickers, but nothing else fitted to a standard panda.

:D

So how do they get away with it in films /tv etc?

With permission.

The Bill used real uniforms and kit. They even acquired computers with Met software applications from their IT suppliers.

There was a story in the press about the Met buying up the old stocks of kit left over from the programme so that it didn't find its way into the wrong hands.

Couldn't you just park your own car in the drive, and pretend that it's an unmarked police car?

With permission.

The Bill used real uniforms and kit. They even acquired computers with Met software applications from their IT suppliers.

There was a story in the press about the Met buying up the old stocks of kit left over from the programme so that it didn't find its way into the wrong hands.

The Actors one sees dressed in Police Uniforms, in Films & Television Shows, can have the appearance of being the real thing, especially in London as mentioned above.

They all have "fictitious" Shoulder Numerals & Initials, likewise with Military Uniforms, there is always some detail that is not correct, but is good enough to satisfy an audience.

The Actors from a distance, even perhaps a short one, will not be noticed, as Actors, by the casual observer. However it should not pass muster by those who have served in either of those Services. Likewise, any profession or job which requires a Uniform to be worn. To take it a degree further, all professions & services have their own "languages" which can completely mystify a casual eaves dropper !:)

People collect old fire engines without impersonating firemen

People collect old tanks without impersonating soldiers

Perhaps you are just collecting Police cars as a hobby... otherwise, every time a mechanic drives a Police car for repairs, he would be guilty of the same offence.

a car outside???

no, THIS is ultimate home security

b_n_w_full_size_x_4_dogs.jpg

this one not so much.. but HOW CUTE ARE THEY!!!
Rottweiler-puppies.jpg

That's awesome! But they'd soon realise if they were scoping your house out. Probably think they had something to hide

Police no longer permits driving a vehicle with blue lights (flashing or switched-off) on public roads.

Private owners of classic police cars now have to load them on a low-loader, or have removable blue lights, when transporting the cars to and from shows.

Which is completely bonkers, if you ask me. No one is going to mistake a Ford Anglia in local constabulary livery for the real thing.

...Perhaps you are just collecting Police cars as a hobby... otherwise, every time a mechanic drives a Police car for repairs, he would be guilty of the same offence.

Police no longer permits driving or parking a vehicle with blue lights (flashing or switched-off) on public roads.

Private owners of classic police cars now have to load them on a low-loader, or have removable blue lights, when transporting the cars to and from shows.

Which is completely bonkers, if you ask me. No one is going to mistake a Ford Anglia in local constabulary livery for the real thing.

And the mechanics at West End Vauxhall's Staples Corner garage mask-up the words 'Police' and the blue lights with masking tape when taking marked police cars for a spin on the M1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom