The ultimate in bangernomics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moonloops

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
2006 SAAB 95 Aero estate (260BHP)

Go on guess how much I paid (not being smug either) for it?

I bought this having run a 95 Aero saloon that I bought for £1200 (as a temp car) for two years. Saloon had a stage 1 remap that cost £80 :p

Last edited:
They paid you £250 to take it?

Not quite, but that number is near enough:

Car cost £100, story is that the previous owner bought it for circa £3500 and two days later the engine blew. Rather than facing an expensive repair he just wanted to get rid.

So £250 for an engine including delivery later, I have the car up and running for total investment of £350. I sold my old 95 for £1000 so quid's in as they say.

May keep the estate for a while or if I get itchy feet trade it in for something newer/faster.

I bought one of the very last 9-5 estates in 2010. Like yours but in white with silver roof rails. My friend bought it from me two years ago and was offered £8k for it from a dealer a few months ago, not as a trade in, just to buy and sell on. Madness.

So not quite as cheap as the Rover 75 P3 I bought for £12.50 then. The straight six engine was so smooth I had to check the pressure gauge to ensure it was still running when stopped at traffic lights (nothing as crude as a rev counter in the dash).

image-2738457672.jpg

Although I admit that was a long time ago

You'll still have to do well to catch the member or this or the official club forum ( can't remember who it was ) who won a W124 estate for something like £7.50 on eBay ( yes , seven pounds fifty pence ) which had a big dent in the back wing and the usual rust round the arches etc , but was MOT'd and a runner - I think he was doing up a house and wanted it to do dump runs and the like .

Anyway , when he turned up , not only did the car have a full tank of fuel ( worth several times the price paid ) but he also found money down the seats which further reduced the outlay .

The car went on to do sterling service for a while too .

You'll still have to do well to catch the member or this or the official club forum ( can't remember who it was ) who won a W124 estate for something like £7.50 on eBay ( yes , seven pounds fifty pence ) which had a big dent in the back wing and the usual rust round the arches etc , but was MOT'd and a runner - I think he was doing up a house and wanted it to do dump runs and the like .

Anyway , when he turned up , not only did the car have a full tank of fuel ( worth several times the price paid ) but he also found money down the seats which further reduced the outlay .

The car went on to do sterling service for a while too .

Sounds great, My saab only had 1/4 tank of petrol and a bit of an oil leak after a pipe came off :D

Not scrabbled under the seats yet, but have found a couple of CD's in the centre console..

What did it cost to fit the replacement engine - or was that a DIY job ?

I expect it was DIY otherwise he would have costed it? :)

Nope, a mechanic I know did it FOC on the basis he can sell my old 95 saloon and keep 50% of sale price.

So not quite as cheap as the Rover 75 P3 I bought for £12.50 then. The straight six engine was so smooth I had to check the pressure gauge to ensure it was still running when stopped at traffic lights (nothing as crude as a rev counter in the dash).

View attachment 55178

Although I admit that was a long time ago

Nice Rover.

I did have a 1946 Rover 16 Sports Saloon once.

Last edited:
I just got a diesel Citroen xantia for £35 with a snapped clutch pedal clip!!!! Got the clip, just need to fit it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom