The unexpected cost of running a Fiat 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmm, no need on the Abarth, it’s dead easy. I had the springs and dampers out when I changed the bump stops. I can’t see how the bumper would get in the way of anything?

Yes odd - I'll go back and ask. I looked at a YouTube video and the bumper didn't move.

I know the electric steering is a problem area across the range but I think more those versions that have the city button.

Yes, mine has the girly button.

I actually quite like it super-light as I'm always weaving in and out of traffic and in and out of tight parking spots.

Lots of short trips and stop/start driving are quite hard on urban runarounds too, which might explain the clutch failure.

Actually good point. I'm forever changing gear round town - way more that someone on an open road, can't help.

Italian cars are generally very resilient to damage from poor road surface. The roads in Southern Italy aren't great either (not the Autostrada).

In fact, last week I drove a 15 years old Panda Mk.2 in Puglia, it had 55000 Km on the clock, and I commented to myself that it goes over potholes and speed bumps much smoother than my current cars in the UK do.

I hired a 500 X in puglia a few years ago. It was on a similar mileage and had bits of trim hanging off.....but the ride, brakes and steering were spot on.

The ride in mine is good - I deliberatelty went for a non-Sport with smaller wheels, taller sidewalls, more suspension travel, softer suspension.

Clearly all that does is encourage my wife to hit the speed bumps at higher speed.....

Pandas are like the cockroaches of the automotive world. I love them. Had a 4 x4 one on my first well site job in Basilicata, S. Italy. Amazing thing.
Amen !

Fiat%20Panda%20100HP%20buying%20guide%202023-5.jpg

Yes odd - I'll go back and ask. I looked at a YouTube video and the bumper didn't move.
The back end is very easy - literally just a few easy to get to bolts. You have to push the swing arm thing down to get enough room to wiggle the springs out (against the handbrake cable tension) but you don't need to loosen anything. Actually an easy and satisfying job.

Hi , my daughter has a Fiat 500 Lounge.Her car is built in Poland and is well built and not a rattle to be heard.

Front door handles are of a poor quality and have replaced both of them just to be safe.

Annual service is reasonable price.

Tyre wear is fine using general 13 tyres.The interior of the car is well finished and her dog loves traveling in her car.The gear box is just like the Ford gear box of many year ago.

Much better built than my Fiat 2000 Super Miroforia ( not sure about the spelling ) but I purchased the lightweight model that lasted 3 years.

The pain is the pedal box , I have size 11 shoes and you have to be careful when braking that you don't press the go faster pedal.

Yes, mine has the girly button.

I actually quite like it super-light as I'm always weaving in and out of traffic and in and out of tight parking spots.
Our Abarth has the same in effect but it works on the Sport button. My Sister in Law has an ancient Seicento with the electric steering and it fails intermittently (which can be interesting). It needs a new motor but as they're on Guernsey and there's no MoT they've left it as is!

Hi , my daughter has a Fiat 500 Lounge.Her car is built in Poland and is well built and not a rattle to be heard.

Front door handles are of a poor quality and have replaced both of them just to be safe.

Annual service is reasonable price.

Tyre wear is fine using general 13 tyres.The interior of the car is well finished and her dog loves traveling in her car.The gear box is just like the Ford gear box of many year ago.

Much better built than my Fiat 2000 Super Miroforia ( not sure about the spelling ) but I purchased the lightweight model that lasted 3 years.

The pain is the pedal box , I have size 11 shoes and you have to be careful when braking that you don't press the go faster pedal.
You reminded me actually - ours had the door handle go, i forgot. There's a repair kit you can get for a few £ - bit fiddly but easy DiY to repair. Its basically the hinge part that fails.

Had nothing but smiles with the Abarth I owned years back ….

View attachment 143976
So much so when I sold the 350, I very nearly bought another. 😎
Pretty! At the Italia Festival at Brands a few years ago i had a demo drive with one of the Abarth race drivers in a standard Abarth 500 SS. It was insane - you would not believe what they can do, and the cornering ability. I was truly astounded.

You may have crossed purposes there a little. The front bumper has to come off to replace the front wishbones. It’s a terrible piece of design. The front crash box has to come out of the way to remove the front wishbone bolts. I’ve never seen anything so ridiculous. Ok, maybe Tesla model S. Lower wishbone bolts cant be removed at all - you have to cut the heads off and replace the bolt with new inserted from the other end.

Looking for a replacement, we saw a low mileage second hand Jeep Renegade and Mrs. MJ really really liked it - boxy shape, cute, small, practical, what's not to like.

She then did some research and found out that the Renegade is based on the Fiat 500 underpinning and made in a Fiat factory in the south of Italy.

You missed out on a cracking car, Mark.
I had a 1.4 turbo Renegade from new - yes they are built in Melfi, Italy.
Owned it for 7 1/2 years, 70,000 miles, and the only problems were a battery that I changed because I was unhappy with the voltage in cold weather and changed it as a precaution, and the turbo would not come in sometimes in warm weather - I suspected the wastegate solenoid but never got round to changing it (an easy job)
It was an Italian car in every way to drive - real fun, nippy, decent handling and just a hoot (I live in the country so plenty of open roads)
Nothing fell off, and the only sign of age was the clear laquer on the wheels was just starting to show signs of corrosion.
Having said that, there were quite a few on the Renegade forum that seemed to have problems with either the 2 litre tigershark engine or the 4wd system. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

You may have crossed purposes there a little. The front bumper has to come off to replace the front wishbones. It’s a terrible piece of design. The front crash box has to come out of the way to remove the front wishbone bolts. I’ve never seen anything so ridiculous. Ok, maybe Tesla model S. Lower wishbone bolts cant be removed at all - you have to cut the heads off and replace the bolt with new inserted from the other end.
Ah OK that makes more sense. And that's actually more annoying as a could have had the front dampers done at the same time time and saved the double labour charge.

He was massively busy as was I - crossed wires and all that.

Hey ho, it drives brilliantly now. Can wait to get some Koni's on the front. Oh wait....

You missed out on a cracking car, Mark.
I had a 1.4 turbo Renegade from new - yes they are built in Melfi, Italy.
Owned it for 7 1/2 years, 70,000 miles, and the only problems were a battery that I changed because I was unhappy with the voltage in cold weather and changed it as a precaution, and the turbo would not come in sometimes in warm weather - I suspected the wastegate solenoid but never got round to changing it (an easy job)
It was an Italian car in every way to drive - real fun, nippy, decent handling and just a hoot (I live in the country so plenty of open roads)
Nothing fell off, and the only sign of age was the clear laquer on the wheels was just starting to show signs of corrosion.
Having said that, there were quite a few on the Renegade forum that seemed to have problems with either the 2 litre tigershark engine or the 4wd system. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Well, the South of Italy is full of them, they are everywhere, so possibly they managed to sort it out.

As for the Suzuki, we opted for the variant with the lethargic NA engine to reduce the insurance cost for the kids....

Reactions: Ted
My son has a '59 Panda, bought new on the £2k scrappage scheme that was around at the time. It's the only new car we've ever had (it was my wife's car to start with) and with the £2k trade in scheme it cost the princely sum of £5k. Not bad for a new car. Since then it's been ultra reliable, survives on zero maintenance and is a hoot to drive. The high driving position is an added bonus, especially as you don't look like you're off on safari in it. It's an all round brilliant car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom