The V8 Bug - Is There A Cure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Much as I love my car, I'm lusting after a V8 S212 E63 and have started looking at the usual outlets - MB Approved Used, Autotrader, Pistonheads, etc.

I've seen a perfect example with a great spec (though it's overpriced at the moment).

So, I have two problems:

My current car is great and has been fabulous since the day I bought it - it's going be hard to better, due to being very well specced for an E320 Sport.

The age/mileage of car I'd like means it's a lot of money, that I could better spend, in my case, on another property project.

So, is there a cure once you've been bitten by that V8 bug?

Get yourself a Westfield V8 as a weekend plaything. :)

No, there's no cure BTW. I've had 5 different V8 engined cars, the right way to do it is big V8 in small car. V8s in big cars don't do it quite as well IMHO unless it's forced induction.

Best wait for a 63 with a 5.5 TT.

Last edited:
1. No.

2. Get it bought.

Cheers,

Gaz

Ask yourself, do you really need another property project? (OK, I know you don't really need a V8 either, but let's leave that to one side for a moment.)

You already have a string of properties to your name, which are presumably providing you with a decent income as well as being tangible assets should you ever need to release funds in the future. So you're comfortable.

When you have an itch to scratch, you need to scratch it or it just keeps itching. There comes a point when you need to enjoy what your prudent investments have yielded. Adding another property to your empire now will just defer the day you enter the V8 fold.

Just thinking what V8 I should put in the W202 I just bought...

p.s. there is no cure..:D

Don't be coming on here looking for sympathy and understanding:D get it bought and be a man:p

I'm going to collect another V8 AMG in the morning because I haven't stopped pining since selling my last; it really is a worse addiction than crack.

Remember this as well John; coffins don't have pockets...

Get yourself a Westfield V8 as a weekend plaything. :)

No, there's no cure BTW. I've had 5 different V8 engined cars, the right way to do it is big V8 in small car. V8s in big cars don't do it quite as well IMHO unless it's forced induction.

Best wait for a 63 with a 5.5 TT.

I totally agree with this small car big V8, had my fair share of toys based on the good old Rover V8 and loved them. Then I went down the route of screwing big power out of small engines, then up to getting power out of relatively large reasonable power engines, which is where I am now with the CLK.

The one itch I have not scratched and I will do at some point is the V12 itch :eek: but wherever I go next it will have to wait until junior SWMBO has finished Uni :thumb:

1/2 way house - rent a V8 for a w/e once a month.

It would be cheaper to lease one and have the use of it all the time, although the rental option allows you to try a variety of V8s (and other exotica).

I totally agree with this small car big V8, had my fair share of toys based on the good old Rover V8 and loved them. Then I went down the route of screwing big power out of small engines, then up to getting power out of relatively large reasonable power engines, which is where I am now with the CLK.

The one itch I have not scratched and I will do at some point is the V12 itch :eek: but wherever I go next it will have to wait until junior SWMBO has finished Uni :thumb:

As above............try a V12TT.:D

There was a black E63 for sale in my local dealer in the last couple of weeks at around £33,000 irrc -- it lasted about a week!

Keep the estate - it owes you nothing and you love it for the long haul.

Get a plaything. R172 or R230 and use it when the need suits. They have no space so you will appreciate your estate for what it offers and will be seduced by the power of the cabrios.

Just stop dithering and do it.

The fuel bills.

A petrol V8 offers oodles of torque - it is insufficiently different from what you've already got.

it is insufficiently different from what you've already got.

With respect, I couldn't disagree more. :eek:

Whilst midrange shove may be similar, that's it. What about the accompanying soundtrack, and the fact that it keeps on going just getting harder and shriller up to 7 or 8k? (Depending on motor)

Plus there's the 2k rpm wuffle that no diesel can possible hope to emulate.

May I quote JFK.

"I think all people should buy a V8 and return it safely to their place of residence. We choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are difficult."

Hard to argue with JFK.

With respect, I couldn't disagree more. :eek:

Whilst midrange shove may be similar, that's it. What about the accompanying soundtrack, and the fact that it keeps on going just getting harder and shriller up to 7 or 8k? (Depending on motor)

Plus there's the 2k rpm wuffle that no diesel can possible hope to emulate.

Not forgetting another 250bhp...

Hello

OK not the same level as a E63 but I was looking at a CLK 500 Cab the other day, looked really smart (on e-bay)

Roof down, 4 up, still a V8 with over 300bhp?

It was on for around £5K at the time, just tried to find it but gone.

That's cheap motoring, my dad has the SL500 as a 'fun car' guess same engine? be even gets 30mpg on a run. Also not being the 'AMG' model means all the parts are much lower.

just a thought, for an 'as well' car.

I would think seeing 15mpg.... would probably annoy you as a daily if you do over 10K miles? but as a weekend car... who cares.. :)

May I quote JFK.

"I think all people should buy a V8 and return it safely to their place of residence. We choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are difficult."

Hard to argue with JFK.

Or as Will the Quill might have put it:

Now is the winter of your diesel bent
Made glorious summer by this petrol torque;
And all the clouds (of black smoke) the lour'd upon your rear bumper
In the deep bosom of a pothole are buried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom