The Venom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

I live in the sticks and most days drop my wife off at the station some 8 miles away. It's a lovely drive but there's one single track road that I have no choice but to use, and it has several blind bends!

Now being a sensible chap, I never approach any of these blind bends without slowing right down, leaving space for me to stop and unsuspecting oncoming traffic. And today, as often happens I met a car on my side of the bend and they only just managed to avoid hitting me. And had I not been going so slow, they would have collected me, and probably at the speed they were going, would have seen me in hospital - Audi A5 vs huge 4X4!

We all make mistakes, but what made matters worse was that the driver was apoplectic with rage, screaming at me as they drove by. They being the driver and a shocked kiddie in the front seat. The driver was so angry, and I can still picture their face now, that I thought that they were going to have a heart attack - or jump out and hit me. It was that bad.

What gives? I'd saved their bacon yet somehow they'd twisted it and I was in the wrong.

I don't get it.

I live in the sticks and most days drop my wife off at the station some 8 miles away. It's a lovely drive but there's one single track road that I have no choice but to use, and it has several blind bends!

Now being a sensible chap, I never approach any of these blind bends without slowing right down, leaving space for me to stop and unsuspecting oncoming traffic. And today, as often happens I met a car on my side of the bend and they only just managed to avoid hitting me. And had I not been going so slow, they would have collected me, and probably at the speed they were going, would have seen me in hospital - Audi A5 vs huge 4X4!

We all make mistakes, but what made matters worse was that the driver was apoplectic with rage, screaming at me as they drove by. They being the driver and a shocked kiddie in the front seat. The driver was so angry, and I can still picture their face now, that I thought that they were going to have a heart attack - or jump out and hit me. It was that bad.

What gives? I'd saved their bacon yet somehow they'd twisted it and I was in the wrong.

I don't get it.
Happens around here frequently, nearly always women for some reason.

I've developed a strategy to deal with it, if close enough I give them a big cheesy grin or, if more distant, a very enthusiastic wave.

Takes the wind right out of their sails.

I save blowing kisses for the men.

Edited to add:

What gives?

In my experience:

They have children and are therefore more entitled than you, or
They are elderly and you should show some respect.

There is an old dear on my road who wagged her finger at me a few months ago because she hadn't seen me approach the junction at the end of the road, 2 weeks later she cut the corner massively and received a finger wagging from me. Her husband in the passenger seat was laughing his head off!

This happens to me on a daily basis, I live in the sticks on a single track lane with blind bends and many of the roads are I go on are similar. People seem unable to keep to their side of the road, or slow down for the bends, and as in your case get apoplectic if they ever have to reverse (mainly because they can’t :rolleyes: ).

They frequently drive past passing places expecting me to drive into the hedge to let them by. Our lane is a crazy 60mph limit but in reality it’s not safe to go more than 20.

I’ve lost count of the time’s I’ve been raged at because the other driver is in the wrong ..

"Patagonian The Pansy" must have the wrong thread.. where's those reading glasses?? :dk:

I agree though, with you Chris it has "shattering" effect that can last for days with you - I know I've had it, long story short, A cyclist did this to me in Edinburgh threatened all sorts and " because I was visibly shaken, would let me off with a telling off otherwise would knock my teeth in.." on another occasion I was in a queue of traffic waiting to move off. The BM in front of me started to roll back to within an inch of the bumper. I gave him a sharp toot and... feck! The Incredible Hulk tried to rip the door off my car, pulled at the window - as in out it frame (it was partially open) and wouldn't let go.. eventually others saw that he was blocking the contraflow and started shouting at him..

The final one was my neighbour. Thinking I was doing the right thing, I stopped to let her reverse out her driveway and held up traffic. She couldn't see to her left, so blatantly reversed out into oncoming traffic from the other (left) side, The was nearly an incident as a removal truck loomed down on her. I peeped my horn to warn her as she didn't see it and..... " Slow down, take more care.." she shouted at me.. but wait! I'm at a standstill, how much slower can I be?? :dk:

Do Yer exercises Chris - and whilst yer at it coach me too.. I need some ;)

P.S Its "apocalyptic" with rage, and not... Oh never mind o_O

Last edited:
I love the funny stories of this type, I'd forgotten about a similar one from earlier in the year.

I was waiting to leave the fuel station when a guy stopped right in front of the exit, space behind and in front of him.
I gave him a little toot to move forward and he gave me the finger.
i said to the Mrs for a joke, 'I'm going to follow him home to wherever he lives'.

As it turned out that's exactly what I did, he lives around the corner.

I could see him looking in the mirror at every turn to see if I was still following, he's the type of guy that becomes invisible behind the driver seat due to his lack of stature whereas I'm the sort of opposite.

"Patagonian The Pansy" must have the wrong thread.. where's those reading glasses?? :dk:
o_O

But that's the issue. When we were broken into a few years back I caught them at it and chased the three of them out of door. Next day cops turned up, took one look at me and said, don't ever touch a burglar, the judge won't ever believe you did it in self defence. So I never get involved for that reason.

I'm feeling a right fatty at the mo. Only just started exercising after 2 months of knackered ankle.

I gave him a sharp toot and... feck! The Incredible Hulk tried to rip the door off my car, pulled at the window .

Yeah, sorry about that :D

^ PMSL! Feckin' Brilliant..

I know what you mean though.. I have a Neighbour From Hell.. again long story short, 13 Hours after his attempt at pouring brake fluid over my car "Plod" turns up... "Why do ye no' take 'im round the back an' kick feck out of 'im??" Coming from a Sgt in Strathclydes finest....o_O

I thought that was his job??

Headline reads.. "Local respected Regional Sales Manager knocks seven bells out of Ill Health neighbour.." Uh Huh, can just see that one fly,...o_O

I don't get it.

Presumably neither do they .....

So you actually have something in common.;)

I agree though, with you Chris it has "shattering" effect that can last for days with you - I know I've had it, long story short, A cyclist did this to me in Edinburgh threatened all sorts and " because I was visibly shaken, would let me off with a telling off otherwise would knock my teeth in.." on another occasion I was in a queue of traffic waiting to move off. The BM in front of me started to roll back to within an inch of the bumper. I gave him a sharp toot and... feck! The Incredible Hulk tried to rip the door off my car, pulled at the window - as in out it frame (it was partially open) and wouldn't let go.. eventually others saw that he was blocking the contraflow and started shouting at him..

The final one was my neighbour. Thinking I was doing the right thing, I stopped to let her reverse out her driveway and held up traffic. She couldn't see to her left, so blatantly reversed out into oncoming traffic from the other (left) side, The was nearly an incident as a removal truck loomed down on her. I peeped my horn to warn her as she didn't see it and..... " Slow down, take more care.." she shouted at me.. but wait! I'm at a standstill, how much slower can I be?? :dk:

P.S Its "apocalyptic" with rage, and not... Oh never mind o_O
Apoplectic was correct...IMO.

We moved to the country end of June.

Only 30 houses on the one and a half lane road.

Only one bad bend where you must slow to a crawl...so far only had to reverse once...but it was a dairy tanker.

No bad stories to tell...yet.

The behaviour described in the OPs post is easy to explain: He got a shock when he realised the situation was out of his control as a consequence of being in the wrong, and reacted angrily to being put in that position.

In my experience, there is in inverse law applying in these incidents whereby the lower the intelligence of the driver, the angrier he will get.

Obviously, this works double for women!

I live in “rural” Kent. All single track lanes, some not really maintained. You can judge the tightness of oncoming bends by the amount of bumpers, headlight glass etc that litters the road. Some seem to believe that slowing down is for everybody else but them. The collision rate is scary. Worse still I have to walk my dogs along these same tracks. It used to be a great, relaxing time. Now it is not. Hardly day will pass without some cretin shouting abuse because I am “in the road”. Charming indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When driving of course, no need to blow kisses when they are more accessible!

"Glesga Ones" Perhaps??:dk:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The collision rate is scary

Buy a G Wagen Bruce that will stop them, the rougher the better, then you don’t have to bother if they hit you, they will bounce off and into the ditch. When people see one of these coming towards them they seem to develop impeccable road manners:D

We have a guy who lives at the end of out street and parks his car so anyone leaving is on the wrong side of the road a pain but you just take it easy coming and going. No accidents yet but we are close to a school so most people drive carefully. Now you generally turn left into out street so you pass him then have to move to the other side of the road as usually 6-8 cars parked on the left side of the road so to get past you are on the wrong side of the road. I came in one Sunday towing a caravan, got past the first car and the past the next 3 driving on the wrong side of the road. I see some woman heading straight for me so I slow down expecting her to stop and let me past as this is what we all do. No of course not she pushes on and nearly hits me I stopped 2 cars from the end and she starts waving at me to reverse and sticks her head out the window and say hurry up I need past why aren't you moving. To this I turn off the engine, this really pisses her off and starts shouting abuse at me and reving her engine. I turned to my wife who like me is also in shock at this out burst. Now I've not said word to her or responded in any way so she gets out and threatened to call the police if I didn't move. I politely (still don't know how I kept my cool) asked her to back up as it is only 2 cars for her and it's very difficult to reverse a caravan round the parked cars. She then goes off on one that I should learn to drive if I'm towing a caravan so up goes my window and the radio volume until she finally gave in and reversed back and let me past. 5 mins of my life ill never get back after a lovely weekend away and left me really stressed out.

Wibble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom