The very common keyless door entry issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lenny63

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS 55 AMG | S211 E280 Cdi Sport
A bit like a ticking time bomb I suppose , my drivers keyless door handle stopped working after a heavy freeze yesterday !

Late last night it worked twice but then stopped working again

It will Neither lock or unlock the car - all remaining 3 including boot are working fine

Car was plugged into STAR this AM and no faults showing

Couldn't be moisture and any tips for drying it out ?

Regards Lenny

Exterior door handle rubber button letting in water. I think someone here removed and repaired but personally I'd just replace the handle completely

Managed to push out the rubber and but of moisture in there - hair dryer - it's not working but intermittently - I also saw "key not detected"
In the dash the odd time when it wouldn't open

Its around £150 plus paint & VAT IIRC Lenny, unfortunately the only option is to replace it. I had the same issue with mine, both drivers door and rear passenger door.
Pretty straight forward to replace the drivers door (videos on you tube), unlike the rear doors.

Its around £150 plus paint & VAT IIRC Lenny, unfortunately the only option is to replace it. I had the same issue with mine, both drivers door and rear passenger door.
Pretty straight forward to replace the drivers door (videos on you tube), unlike the rear doors.

You can order the handles factory painted, that's what I did for my 744 silver E55 at the time - around £135+vat from memory.

Can't see the CLS being any different. 5 minutes to fit with a torx driver :)

Strange they are the same 2 door's that the keyless doesnt work on.

Strange they are the same 2 door's that the keyless doesnt work on.

They're the ones that get used most :)

To confirm only my drivers door has went bad

All others ok

Helpful advice guys - I heard they were £370 a op but maybe that's fitted ?

I'm handy with a spanner so I am sure I can do myself

They're the ones that get used most :)

I use my driver aside rear very frequently (almost as if you forget to lock the car and pass the door and go "oh, better lock thaty ) lol

you can't get factory painted ant more Will !! those bloody accountants !!

I use my driver aside rear very frequently (almost as if you forget to lock the car and pass the door and go "oh, better lock thaty ) lol

I use the rear driver's side quite a lot - if I'm putting a jacket on the back seat (or putting the kids in etc)

At the end of the day, the membrane on the handle is made of rubber, it's exposed to extremes of temperature (ice, 30c+ sun, car washes/chemicals/jet washes, rain, vibration etc). Water gets in on the circuits and they corrode.

At ten years old it's not a massive surprise when they go :eek:

You can buzz them out with a multimeter if you like, or use another handle to test.

you can't get factory painted ant more Will !! those bloody accountants !!

Depends on the model Peter - 211/219 handles are different to the 215 CL, SL etc.

There's loads of colours so perhaps not all available for all models but I'd be surprised if they had none painted :)

I got a SL painted one (R230) late last year.. Same problem (2004 car, drivers door)

I got a SL painted one (R230) late last year.. Same problem (2004 car, drivers door)

Don't the SL ones have a touch sensor on the back of the handle (capacitive?) like on the 215 - I only ask as I seem to remember they're about twice the price of 211 type with the membrane/micro switch on both sides.

Then again, at least on the SL/CL you've only got two doors to worry about :eek:

Don't the SL ones have a touch sensor on the back of the handle (capacitive?) like on the 215 - I only ask as I seem to remember they're about twice the price of 211 type with the membrane/micro switch on both sides.

Then again, at least on the SL/CL you've only got two doors to worry about :eek:

Theres a black rubber button for lock. The pulling action is capacitive

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom