The White Dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm pleased the driver didn't try to avoid this wild dog last week as we were about a mile vertically on a rather precarious mountain road.
Would've meant more than a cracked bumper.

P1030792.jpg

A different driver for us having already wiped out one of the locals on the way there, not 30 minutes before, it was probably worth giving it a miss.

P1030786.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you get it sorted, but a little nagging voice tells me a chap in a mobility scooter is unlikely to have pet insurance or the means to pay.

All may not be lost as some house insurance includes 3rd party cover for household dogs. I know it's also included 'free' with membership of the Dogs Trust (what used to be the NCDL) ... possibly some other organisations.

Oh mate!, at least as you say Rash, its primarily plastic clip on parts, just need a good paint company, it could of been so much worse, and hopefully the dogs OK.

sorry to hear about the dog and the car mate, as olly mentions make sure the silver is spot on, its a hard color to match

hope you get it sorted soon bud

Sorry to hear about this Rash. Like others have said liability cover on their house insurance might save the day for everyone. Hope it works out OK.

Whilst I have every sympathy for the dog, the fact is the owners didn't even exchange details with the driver. That says alot. It seems like the driver was a little shaken by the whole thing or else I suspect he would have pressed the people there for more information, taken some phone photographs and taken the number of the car in which the dog was removed. If a collision with an animal is classed as an RTA then surely the owner of the dog was obliged by law to exchange details before leaving the scene of the accident. If the other parties can afford to keep a dog and take it to the vet then they ought to be able to pay for the repairs. It's just that they don't want to - as proved by their failure to provide any meaningful information to the driver. The world is full of all sorts of people and honest ones are few and far between.

Sorry to read all this Rashman. First and foremost I hope the dog makes a full recovery. Knowing how much you care about your car, I don't have any doubt that it will be repaired to perfection but I hope the process isn't too drawn out for you with availability of parts etc.

Unlike others here though, and with some experience of such a situation although some time ago and with a horse, I'll be amazed if you successfully claim anything from the dog owners, no matter what insurance they may or may not be covered on. As I understand interpretation of the law regarding dogs in this country the owner has an obligation to take all reasonable steps to keep their dog under control. In this case you say the dog was on a lead but it broke free and so I imagine the dog owners and their insurers, if any, will claim they had taken all reasonable measures and are therefore not liable.

Anyway, as I say, I could be wrong but I say it so you don't assume their insurance will pay. I strongly suspect this could easily end up as your bill and yours alone. Good luck with it all though, I'll be interested to know the outcome.

The following thread is four years old but appears to support what I believe...

Dog Owner liability in road accident? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

This might be a useful reference...

Animals Act 1971 | Road Traffic Accident Compensation | RC Solicitors

Regards,

Sorry to hear about the accident Rash' - I hope everything is sorted out to your satisfaction as quickly as possible - and that the dog recovers...

In my experience any dealing with an Insurance Company is a painful and drawn out affair. I think hoping that the owner has some sort of insurance cover may be wishful thinking – but I really hope not. It seems most unfair that you would suffer through someone else’s negligence. And although he admitted liability to you, you will need witnesses to the admission – otherwise it’s his word against yours.

It might be worth considering having some sort of claims manager take care of it all. Check your bank account small print details for any kind of assistance/insurances they might be able to provide.

Sorry to hear of your trouble Rash, hope the dog is okay and your car returns to it's former glory.

Really sorry to hear about this Rash, I know you'll get the car back to the exceptional standards that you keep. Glad the dog will be alright too, I have a small dog who likes to run off (with his harness - as if it is a game fortunately only in fields though) I'd be mortified if anything happened to him but as has been stated before don't think you'll get much joy utilising the owner's pet insurance towards dealing with the repairs to the car.

Well there I was minding my own business heading home from our local annual fancy dress party (this years theme was big dogs) out of nowhere some bloke comes round the corner in a Mercedes and knocks me flying.

I was livid. My dog costume is ruined. I will never get all these carbon fiber shards out of my buttocks now.

Thanks a lot.

I hope you get it sorted, but a little nagging voice tells me a chap in a mobility scooter is unlikely to have pet insurance or the means to pay. I hope it isn't a dreadful headache, and the dog is also ok.

Freakish coincidence though.

Hi mate,

Yes, I know what you mean.. I had the same thought go through my mind too, about the guy in the mobility scooter.

As for the freakish coincidence... man, tell me about it :crazy:

Thanks for posting up your thoughts.

:thumb:

Oh mate!, at least as you say Rash, its primarily plastic clip on parts, just need a good paint company, it could of been so much worse, and hopefully the dogs OK.

Hey Ricky, hope you are well bud. :thumb:

Yes, it does appear to be just plastic components that have broken.

But closer inspection may reveal other stuff that may have broken that I haven't seen yet.

I have the car booked in tomorrow at Maidstone Mercedes. They will be able to give it a full inspection and determine what needs to be replaced.

sorry to hear about the dog and the car mate, as olly mentions make sure the silver is spot on, its a hard color to match

hope you get it sorted soon bud

Hey Alps, good to hear from you. :thumb:

Yes, it was such bad luck :doh:

Poor dog too.

I understand what you and Olly say about the matching of the silver paint.
I'll make sure it is spot on.

Hope you are well and hope to see you soon.

Sorry to hear about this Rash. Like others have said liability cover on their house insurance might save the day for everyone. Hope it works out OK.

Hi mate - hope you and your new car are well :)

Thanks for your input.

I have mentioned the likelihood of claiming under the dog's owner's home insurance to my insurance company.. I will touch on that in a moment.

Thanks again for posting up.

Whilst I have every sympathy for the dog, the fact is the owners didn't even exchange details with the driver. That says alot. It seems like the driver was a little shaken by the whole thing or else I suspect he would have pressed the people there for more information, taken some phone photographs and taken the number of the car in which the dog was removed. If a collision with an animal is classed as an RTA then surely the owner of the dog was obliged by law to exchange details before leaving the scene of the accident. If the other parties can afford to keep a dog and take it to the vet then they ought to be able to pay for the repairs. It's just that they don't want to - as proved by their failure to provide any meaningful information to the driver. The world is full of all sorts of people and honest ones are few and far between.

Hi mate,

Thanks for your contribution :thumb:

You are right on many counts.

Although it was perhaps a more mild incident as far as traffic accidents go, it was quite a shock. Hitting an animal at low speed seems like a small incident to happen, but the truth is, seeing the little guy go out of view under the car, hearing the blunt bang as it makes contact and then hearing the yelp is not something you experience often and was a harsh experience.

Plus the acceptance that your pride and joy has been damaged really knocks you out of sync :(

As for getting the number plate of the car that ferried the dog to the vets.. I didn't even get close enough for that. By the time I was half the distance down the road, they were getting in the car and driving off! :eek:

I called out to them but they just drove off!

I took a picture of the stretch of road and also of the damage to my car.

And yes, I really wish I had stopped mobility scooter man from hurrying away! Annoyed with myself for that :mad: but luckily I know weather they took the dog and the police will be getting his details in due course.. more on that in a moment.

And yes.. after speaking to the police this morning, hitting a dog is a RTA and should be treated as such by all parties involved.. more and that too in a moment..

Sorry to read all this Rashman. First and foremost I hope the dog makes a full recovery. Knowing how much you care about your car, I don't have any doubt that it will be repaired to perfection but I hope the process isn't too drawn out for you with availability of parts etc.

Unlike others here though, and with some experience of such a situation although some time ago and with a horse, I'll be amazed if you successfully claim anything from the dog owners, no matter what insurance they may or may not be covered on. As I understand interpretation of the law regarding dogs in this country the owner has an obligation to take all reasonable steps to keep their dog under control. In this case you say the dog was on a lead but it broke free and so I imagine the dog owners and their insurers, if any, will claim they had taken all reasonable measures and are therefore not liable.

Anyway, as I say, I could be wrong but I say it so you don't assume their insurance will pay. I strongly suspect this could easily end up as your bill and yours alone. Good luck with it all though, I'll be interested to know the outcome.

The following thread is four years old but appears to support what I believe...

Dog Owner liability in road accident? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

This might be a useful reference...

Animals Act 1971 | Road Traffic Accident Compensation | RC Solicitors

Regards,

Hey buddy! Hope you and the Mrs are well too :thumb:

Yes, I too am hoping that this won't be a drawn-out affair.

Getting the replacement parts will probably take a while as I'm sure the bumper at least will need to come from Germany. I'm damn sure they haven't got a CLK63 front bumper in stock here in the UK! :doh:

But I have accepted that it may be a while before the car is back to its former glory, so I am keeping calm. In the scheme of things, the damage is pretty minimal as far as RTA's go.. it's just the process of sorting it that's going to take the time :doh:

You may be right regarding successfully claiming off the dog owner too.. more on that in a moment..

Thanks for posting up your thoughts mate, much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the accident Rash' - I hope everything is sorted out to your satisfaction as quickly as possible - and that the dog recovers...

In my experience any dealing with an Insurance Company is a painful and drawn out affair. I think hoping that the owner has some sort of insurance cover may be wishful thinking – but I really hope not. It seems most unfair that you would suffer through someone else’s negligence. And although he admitted liability to you, you will need witnesses to the admission – otherwise it’s his word against yours.

It might be worth considering having some sort of claims manager take care of it all. Check your bank account small print details for any kind of assistance/insurances they might be able to provide.

Hey Mark, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and contribute.

Yes, I have the same opinions regarding dealing with insurance companies :(

I'll touch on what you have commented on in a moment..

I hope all is well with you bud and I look forward to catching up with you soon.

Hi mate,

Thanks for your contribution :thumb:

You are right on many counts.

Although it was perhaps a more mild incident as far as traffic accidents go, it was quite a shock. Hitting an animal at low speed seems like a small incident to happen, but the truth is, seeing the little guy go out of view under the car, hearing the blunt bang as it makes contact and then hearing the yelp is not something you experience often and was a harsh experience.

Plus the acceptance that your pride and joy has been damaged really knocks you out of sync :(

As for getting the number plate of the car that ferried the dog to the vets.. I didn't even get close enough for that. By the time I was half the distance down the road, they were getting in the car and driving off! :eek:

I called out to them but they just drove off!

I took a picture of the stretch of road and also of the damage to my car.

And yes, I really wish I had stopped mobility scooter man from hurrying away! Annoyed with myself for that :mad: but luckily I know weather they took the dog and the police will be getting his details in due course.. more on that in a moment.

And yes.. after speaking to the police this morning, hitting a dog is a RTA and should be treated as such by all parties involved.. more and that too in a moment..

Sounds like "failing to stop at the scene of an accident" situation!

Sorry to hear of your trouble Rash, hope the dog is okay and your car returns to it's former glory.

Hey Peter, hope you are well :thumb:

Thanks for your kinds words.

Things will be ok.. it'll just take a while to get things sorted, that's all.

Take care for now and look forward to seeing you soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom