'The Works'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edd1968

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK 320, CLK 55 AMG & 2 Friesian Horses!
I've got a friend staying for the weekend. I had 2 jobs to do to his lovely little SLK, the first being fit a complete set of discs & pads, the second to give it my full 'The Works' treatment. Which as the title says is everything from engine bay detailing to ceramic coating.
Had alot of fun doing this having my tools passed to me by my 65 year old 'apprentice'! ;)
Im sure you'll agree, it looks stunning and the R171 is such a nice design. IMG_20190330_190457.jpg IMG_20190330_190357.jpg IMG_20190330_190429.jpg IMG_20190330_190441.jpg IMG_20190330_190344.jpg IMG_20190330_190331.jpg

...the before and after images of his brakes....

IMG_20190330_190300.jpg IMG_20190330_190234.jpg IMG_20190330_190205.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_190246.jpg
    IMG_20190330_190246.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
You are a very good friend

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk
...well he did come armed with a brand new torque wrench and a new impact wrench for me so I was happy with the trade. ;)

Wow, car looks fantastic! Had to read your initial post twice as I just glanced over the text and it looked like you'd painted the brake discs !! lol

Wow, car looks fantastic! Had to read your initial post twice as I just glanced over the text and it looked like you'd painted the brake discs !! lol
They are brand new pagid discs, they come pre painted. ;)

Where about in the Highlands are you based if you don't mind me asking? just wondering in case I wanted to use your services.

Do you ever venture as far South as the Central Belt?
Not really (for work anyway), it becomes economically unviable. However the friend who owns this SLK lives in London Links, just came up to stay. :)

Not really (for work anyway), it becomes economically unviable. However the friend who owns this SLK lives in London Links, just came up to stay. :)

No problem. There seems to be a good detailing community up North with a few online retailers and good detailing workshops (AM Details, Polished Bliss, etc).

Looks good.
Not sure what your “the works” clean entails but you should include rubbers and plastics.
Not a dig at you, just a recommendation.

Detailing is in the details, and people will always look for the details. Human nature.
Stop them in their tracks by addressing the finer details.

Attachments

• 7E2544EE-D19E-49CC-A73C-166568127FD5.jpeg
    7E2544EE-D19E-49CC-A73C-166568127FD5.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 37
Looks good.
Not sure what your “the works” clean entails but you should include rubbers and plastics.
Not a dig at you, just a recommendation.

Detailing is in the details, and people will always look for the details. Human nature.
Stop them in their tracks by addressing the finer details.

...talking of stopping them in their tracks; This particular SLK has dark grey rubber seals and vinyl mouldings. They were all cleaned spotless and left dry.
I don't cover them in some 'bullshit' spray or finish that leaves a residue (especially on the part that you pointed out where the door window meets the seal)
If you look at the image as a whole you will see that the sunlight is reflecting on alot of parts making them appear lighter and I'm afraid your eyes have been fooled into thinking that I would have left such an obvious part dirty.

Thank you for the recommendation though, I kept wondering why my business has been going from strength to strength - oh yeah, cutting corners and missing bits out!!

I wasn't going to comment but felt the need to put the record straight.
This is also for this reason and these kinds of pedantic posts that I don't tend to come on here and comment on this forum any longer.

...talking of stopping them in their tracks; This particular SLK has dark grey rubber seals and vinyl mouldings. They were all cleaned spotless and left dry.
I don't cover them in some 'bullshit' spray or finish that leaves a residue (especially on the part that you pointed out where the door window meets the seal)
If you look at the image as a whole you will see that the sunlight is reflecting on alot of parts making them appear lighter and I'm afraid your eyes have been fooled into thinking that I would have left such an obvious part dirty.

Thank you for the recommendation though, I kept wondering why my business has been going from strength to strength - oh yeah, cutting corners and missing bits out!!

This is also for this reason and these kinds of pedantic posts that I don't tend to come on here and comment on this forum any longer.
Errr.... ok
Little less caffeine maybe?

You obviously don’t know me.
Otherwise you’d know that I was merely giving you some pointers, being somewhat of a car detailing person myself.
But knowing someone or not, you should check that tone of yours.

Can I also point out that it was YOU that chose to post up about your car and works carried out on it.
No one forced you to do that.

My advice, if you can’t take constructive criticism or advice well, don’t post up.

Also, not sure what your business has to do with any of this :dk:

To pick up on what you said about the rubbers, it is possible to treat them to keep them supple and protected from UV, thus prolonging their life.
Not sure what “bullshit” products you’re referring to but there are perfectly suitable ones out there.

Good day, old bean.

Excellent job there Edd. I think you took Rashman's post the wrong way, he wasn't having a dig at you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom