The world has gone mad...... Where will it end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We used to use something vaguely similar to get from the crew boat on and off the rig by crane offshore, for some unknown reason it was called a Billy Pugh basket! It was supposed to have a canvas bottom closing the flotation ring that you stood on, so you had somewhere to put your bags. While I was in Greece, Penrod Drilling were tight fisted sods, got fed up with the canvas bottom getting damaged so put a steel bottom in it instead - which meant it would no longer float. Crane ops had loads of fun putting people off the rig (folk going ashore for whatever reason) and lowering the basket into the water.....

Man basket, to those that use them
Just about every factory I have worked in (UK) the last 10 years scrapped these things if used on a forklift , despite them being very useful. All to do with heath and safety 'guvnor. Although not that long ago I was in a factory in Italy where the locals were working off a pallet on a forklift at full mast.....so it can't be a EU thing ;):p

Just about every factory I have worked in (UK) the last 10 years scrapped these things if used on a forklift , despite them being very useful. All to do with heath and safety 'guvnor. Although not that long ago I was in a factory in Italy where the locals were working off a pallet on a forklift at full mast.....so it can't be a EU thing ;):p
I still use my sturdy beer crates as ‘Hop-ups’. Doubt they’d pass H&S but done me fine for many a year.

for some unknown reason it was called a Billy Pugh basket!

I'm in the crane industry, always been a man basket, still is for now 🤪

I would go further so as to point out how sexist that is.

This is because the honourable (I'm sure) ChrisEdu chose to be a beetroot rather than a cabbage.

Beetroot is the main ingredient of borscht, the Russian soup. so it might even be recognised that it is in sympathy of the heritage of the soviet era.

Cabbage is on the other hand the main ingredient of that cultures soup called shchi. Due to the differences in alphabet that is a transliteration and is clearly a reference to the female gender.

Choosing that way relegates the female to 2nd place. And I suggest that over 50% of various populations might find that offensive.
I say over 50% because most of t'other gender are bigger than me.
I'm being true to my Russian roots and family link with the Romanovs.

I'm being true to my Russian roots and family link with the Romanovs.

I think we may be related.... I have Romanian roots...

Cool job. What do you do??
Lift things 🤣

I'm in the heavy cranes side of the industry, done most stuff around Europe, Scandinavia and Middle East, I've ended up in the wind industry installing wind turbines, onshore and offshore.
More of a Supervisor these days, don't operate then so much.

So are they going to remake the Toy Story series of films, Mr Potato Head is mentioned a number of times as is his wife Mrs Potato Head, where will it end :D

I guess we have to say goodbye to Mr Chips as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom