The XF-R: Jekyll & Hyde in the metal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Having owned my XF-R for just shy of a month now, I thought it'd be worth putting my experience thus far into black and white.

Starting from the beginning...

I bought it unseen, seller was a genuine chap from over Cheshire way and he described the condition very well and was very upfront about its two issues; it needed new rear tyres very soon and there was a bit of paint needed to the bonnet but other than that it was in mint condition. And he was right, it is.

Took the scenic route back through Snake Pass and the first thing I noticed was how well it dealt with the twisties, I expected it to be a little more wallowy but was pleasantly surprised at how stiff it was when pressed. Here's a photo of it on the way home from collecting:

Separate to the dynamics, the supercharged 5.0 V8 is phenomenal, so so addictive; put the gearbox in 'S', turn on 'Dynamic Mode' and let the games begin! And to show its split personality, stick it in 'D' (it's the six speed ZF box) and it'll happily tootle along with little fuss, the sound insulation is seriously impressive, the only real gripe is that because it's that good, the symphonic soundtrack is slightly muffled which is a shame but I suppose that's the oxymoron of this car; quiet on the inside and raucous on the outside.

The interior is a nice place to be too, and the blue vein of light that runs through the car it night is a very sleek look. I'm a cruiserweight size and the seats are very good, the base is slightly longer than the average but it's not annoying, you get used to it pretty quickly.

Fuel wise I'm averaging 16mpg, it's really good on a steady run though, I've had 29.4mpg.

Since I bought it I've had a bit of colour coding done, namely the chrome tailgate strip and the wheels:

To summarise I'd describe it as Mike Tyson wearing a Savile Row suit; sharp and classy but with a vicious maniac bubbling underneath. I find the jibes I've had about it being an old mans car hilarious, I don't define myself by the car I drive, I mean I bought my first Mercedes when they were also called old mans cars and look at them now...

Anyway...The long and short of it is that I love the car, I've always said the XF was the natural successor to the W211 and I stand by that statement, I really get Q-Cars, and a 510bhp four door saloon definitely ticks many of those boxes.

Nice.

Black (I assume) with black wheels and red chavcals - what's not to like ;).

How's the performance vs your E55s'?

Very very nice Lee. Liking the black detailing. Never been a lover of the chrome stuff.

Is it a keeper? :dk:

Ant.

Bet he's already lining something elese up.

How's the performance vs your E55s'?

On paper there's not a great difference but, in reality, and probably due to the ZF box, there is.

I'm a fan of forced induction engines, particularly supercharged ones, and this certainly feels as though its DNA is of the E55k.

Very nice, they do stand out when you see them on the road.

Driven the normal XF which is nice, this is no doubt a real hoot.

I've fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Well, just keep it until you get the McLaren.

THEN come and take me for a spin. :D

Very nice, they do stand out when you see them on the road.

Driven the normal XF which is nice, this is no doubt a real hoot.

I owned the twin-turbo diesel XF about a year ago and that was another peach of an engine; 50+ mpg with 275bhp on tap.

That was the one I drove. Press car when first launched, very nice.

Whole different experience to this one though no doubt.

Seeing this reminds me that acquiring a fast Jag would be a really good idea.

Then I remember that this idea has been scuppered by the manufacturer not being aware that anyone exists above the 50th percentile.

That was the one I drove. Press car when first launched, very nice.

Whole different experience to this one though no doubt.

Yes, the XFS is a good car in its own right but this is simply a privilege to drive and to own.

Nice one Lee! Got to be honest i keep looking at the approved used XKR cabriolet that would remedy the soundproofing issue.

Tony.

Glad you're enjoying it Lee.

I never really got on with mine as you know, but I think that was my fault and not the car's. Still no idea why this was really, I just didn't seem to gel with it.

Have a look at a Spires exhaust if you fancy a bit more noise out of it. I had the back boxes on mine and they really open it up, giving it the pops and crackles it deserves on the downshifts. :)

Thanks for the update Lee. This is definitely on my list for the next move. Seems to me it's a natural progression from the E55K, in that it delivers the power but also delivers a more modern surroundings to enjoy.

Having owned a S Type R you can tell any old man jokes wouldn't bother me. Do you know how well the motor responds to mild tuning like a remap?

Nice one Lee! Got to be honest i keep looking at the approved used XKR cabriolet that would remedy the soundproofing issue.

Tony.

My dads friend owns an XKR 5.0 S/C cabriolet and it's a great tourer, it's got both the looks and the sound.

Have a look at a Spires exhaust if you fancy a bit more noise out of it. I had the back boxes on mine and they really open it up, giving it the pops and crackles it deserves on the downshifts. :)

I've seen them Dave, I was adamant that I was going to get some exhaust work done because of how quiet the cabin is, the problem being it's quite loud outside (certainly louder than my E55K with Kleeman manifolds and rear cats gutted). So I think the problem would be that I'd have to get it that loud to hear it inside that it would be monstrous on the out.

Still undecided to be honest but I'm edging towards just leaving it standard, it pops and crackles for fun as it is...

Having owned a S Type R you can tell any old man jokes wouldn't bother me. Do you know how well the motor responds to mild tuning like a remap?

Eurocharged can get it to 570ish for under a grand with a pulley/remap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom