The year CDI Black death stopped occurring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

farmerpete

Car
1989 w124 300d, 2003 ml270, 1979 w123 300td, w210 E300 Turbodiesel ( 2 of ...yes its a sickness )
Hi from Australia
I'm the sad owner of a 2003 ml270 with recurring black death :fail
Yes my own spannering :fail
Nice vehicle otherwise.
What year did the boffins at MB decide to change the design of the injector seating to eliminate this :)fail) problem?
Cheers Peter

What are you doing wrong?

I had signs that it was starting to occur on my 2007 CLS with the 3.0 V6 diesel, however I now have a 2011 E class with the same engine, but a bit too new and slightly lower mileage at 72k to tell if it will ever come up or not.

What are you doing wrong?
Not grinding enough surface off .... perhaps will heat treat the copper seals next time

Hi,
Are you replacing the clamp on the bolt? and torqueing down to the correct setting?

Never had the problem, but I do believe that using Honda copper injector seals is a better bet than using MB. The seats need dressing properly and the stretch bolts must be renewed and correctly fitted and torqued.

So its good to have continuity with threads ...sorry
I had 3 of 5 injectors leaking. Did the grind of the seat with a purchased tool... making sure (hopefully) the ground surface was near perfect.
Did the 2 not leaking (in the same manner) for insurance.
New thread bolts but only one ninety degree turn after 7 Nm with torque wrench.
Number 5 started leaking after about 5000 kms maybe less
Car parked for 2.9 years
Fast forward to a month ago
All injectors pulled and lightly reground being even more careful of the seating surface in the head
Used new stretch bolts and honda copper seals( Note.are approx 30% thicker than MB seals ) This could be good with reference to the shaving of the aluminium seat surface.
Bugger...after finishing job and more reading should have checked all the injectors mating surface for corrosion.
In my previous failed attempt no 5 started leaking again so I DID CHECK THAT INJECTORS STEEL SEATING SURFACE AND IT WAS CORRODED.Unfortunately it was done last so the only one that got proper attention.
I improved it a great deal, although watching another aussies youtube video I could have done a better job still.
These injector bolts were tightened 7Nm then 90 + 90 deg
So time will tell I guess.

Are you replacing the clamp on the bolt? and torqueing down to the correct setting?

Hi I did buy new clamps ( the indy I purchased them from looked at me comically ) and I only used two... ( I don't know why ?)...brain fade? They "looked" exactly the same is my excuse.
So torquing is correct this time ....honda seals are said to be slightly softer which may help? but not the attention to the injectors steel mating surface
I am about to deal with the swirl flap intake fiasco before re registering vehicle and while in there do the egr delete.
I will report back when the next injector leaks (if I still own it)
As insurance I will probably purchase another 5 stretch bolts to be ready to get on it quickly.
Cheers Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom