Theft From Locked Vehicles x2 - how?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by developer, Mar 22, 2014.

1. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    A neighbour has two cars - an Audi A5 unknown year but recent (his), and a Vauxhall Astra 06 plate (hers).

They came down the other morning to find both cars open, and the Satnav (Astra) and other contents gone, with the remaining contents on the passenger seats.

Both cars were locked the night before.
    Both sets of keys are still with the owner.
    Neither car has any damage to bodywork or glass.

Police have issued a crime number and knocked on neighbours doors notifying/warning of the crime.

:dk:

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    Were they the only cars targeted in the street?

3. OP
    OP
    developer

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    Yes, as far as I know.

4. jamesfuller

jamesfuller Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The one that starts!
    Not sure if its true but I heard somewhere that there is a device that can catch the rolling code if its in use at the time of arming or de arming. I suppose whatever tech there is its only a matter of time before someone finds a way around it.
    Having said that, if someone was a pro and had this kit they would probably not just be taking satnavs!

5. MCFastybloke

MCFastybloke Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '95 300d.BMW330d
    They left house unlocked?

6. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    As the code changes at every key press only the synchronised fob and EIS can possibly know what the next authentic code will be.

Agree re pros, they would be stealing the cars to order...

7. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    It's easy to get into a car without causing any damage. It's not so easy to avoid the alarm triggering.

Do they get both cars serviced at the same garage?

8. OP
    OP
    developer

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    The Police indicated that there were gadgets that would open the cars, allowing the contents to be pilfered, but not started, which is what happened in this case.

9. OP
    OP
    developer

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    Sorry, I don't know that.

10. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Not sure that the alarm actually bothers the thieves... at night time, in a quiet street, the SatNav and other valuables can be taken within a few seconds. By the time a neighbour goes to the window to see where the sound is coming from, the thieves are long gone.

What I don't understand is why steal SatNavs... brand new with all the accessories and warranty they range from £80 to £150, so a second hand stolen obselete model with no charger or cradle would probably not have any significant resale value?

1 person likes this.
  11. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
    There certainly are, they not only get you in but disable the alarm as well, not all manufacturers work on rolling codes either. There was a guy used to come to our motorsport business who bragged he could get into any car with an electronic gismo. We tested him on a few cars we had in one was SWMBO Audi A8, My Nephews BMW 530d with OBD port enabled and enhanced security and a Toyota Land Cruiser. The gadget opened the cars and disarmed the alarm just like the normal key fob, scary :eek: So if he could do it I'm sure there are plenty of others who can too.

12. OP
    OP
    developer

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    Who knows :dk:.

I imagine they took it because it was there - on this occasion it was the only "valuable", on other occasions they may be other stuff that people leave in their car.

Like Storage Hunters, you don't know what's inside until the lock gives.

13. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    I can't imagine car thieves standing outside the car getting all excited like a bunch of t0ssers, before breaking in.

14. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    I imagine the mentality is more of - if they leave a sat Nav lying about, what else do they leave ready for the taking?

Statistically, cars with nothing on show are less likely to be broken into.

15. OP
    OP
    developer

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    I believe the stolen satnav was in the Astra's glovebox.

16. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    If its resale will cover £10 of crack or smack then jobs a good'un in the eyes of an addict sadly.

The sooner addicts can be prescribed medication (instead of having to steal for it) the better in my view.

1 person likes this.
  17. DSM10000

DSM10000 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, C320 saloon MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Clinics providing counselling, support and ,where necessary, prescribing of alternative drugs to aid in the controlled withdrawal from illegal drugs have been available for many years. It does, however, require those addicted to want to change their habits and lifestyle, some do not.

1 person likes this.
  18. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
    Just legalize all drugs, then if the addicts want to kill themselves let them get on with it and the dealers go out of business. Wim win for all.

19. Scott_F

Scott_F Hardcore MB Enthusiast

If one of your children, another family member or a close friend fell into the trap of addiction you wouldn't make such a glib statement.

20. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Or alternatively apply to drug users what we apply to other areas of the law - the notion that illegal consumers create the demand and create the market and trade, and are therefore just as guilty as the dealers.

If there were no drug users, there would be no drug-relared crime, no drug barrons, and far less beheadings in Mexico.

I would say that anyone who ever bought and paid for any form of illegal drug, is to some extent morally responsible for the grim realities of the drug trade, from petty street crime to the horrific South American cartels fueds.

But for some reason people who use illegal drugs are generally considered victims these days, not criminals. Odd, that.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    2 people like this.