Theft. Should I be worried.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FlyTvr

Car
Lexus RC-F Carbon
I'm seriously considering purchasing a C63 Coupe (or maybe a C43).

Having had someone break in looking for car keys back in the day (2002), I am concerned about the potential theft of an AMG.

Here's my situation -

I live in the South West of England.
House is situated in a Cul De Sac (of type)
The car would be garaged (used at weekends)
My garage is integral to my house
House and garage are alarmed
At night I would leave the keys in a place that if someone was to break in they would find the keys. I don't want my family threatened.

So, should I be worried? What's the chances of someone trying to break in?

Many thanks

Its your decision but you have had no break ins in 17 years, you have good security and there are few reports of cars being stolen on this forum.
If the risk was too great then you wouldn't get insurance.
Take reasonable precautions.

As above, take sensible precautions and then just get on with life. It almost certainly won’t get stolen, but even if it does, you will be insured. It’s easy to overthink these kinds of risks, and all that achieves is to rob us of life’s pleasures.

I have a C43 on order and I will be using the Disklok I currently have and getting AutoWatch Ghost fitted to it.

Are you aware that keeping your car in your garage actually increases the risk of it being stolen and will increase your premiums? Assuming they get past the alarm any thieves will have cover and will be able to spend time breaking into the car without being observed. #justsaying

One of our members had his AMG stolen with keys. I believe that knocked on his door as they sat watching TV.

They then set about smashing his front door in whilst demanding he hand over the keys ( which he did).

All of this in front of his family.

Targeted. Absolutely 100% so.

Solution for him and his family. He bought a SKODA.

I have an AMG. In my years of ownership. I have not anything like that happen to me.

I do not subscribe to view of “I’ll bash the up”

They are expecting that and are prepared for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say life’s too short to worry more than you need to over things like this.

You seem pretty clued up and have taken all reasonable precautions.

Buy the car and enjoy it, should the worst happen you’ll not be kicking yourself for not covering the basics security wise either. At the end of the day this is what insurance is for too.

There’s been a few thefts on the forum over the years but taken into context overall the chances of anything happening are quite minimal I’d say. If you live in a crime hotspot maybe for vehicle theft it’s something you’d consider in more detail?

Good luck with your decision :)

I would have thought that the chances of a car being stolen from a locked garage are pretty remote. I have always imagined that the theives identify their target by touring the area and either take it there and then or return sometime later.

Presumably insurance companies also consider garaged cars to be less risk hence the specific question about garaging on the insurance proposal.

Then again my theories on how theives operate might be complete nonsense but I'm content to believe that my garaged car is reasonably safe and I don't give it a second thought.

Think I've heard it all now, I am going to donate all my worldly goods to charity to prevent them being stolen and going to live as a hermit in a cave in the Valleys away from roads as I hear they are very dangerous things!

If I still had young children I would home school them in my cave to avoid any risk of them being bullied.

No wifi in my cave as I heard the waves can cause cancer and I am not coming out as the sun is bad for you too!

I have removed the AMG badge from my car as it was attracting too much attention and fixed it to my wife's posterior so I can still enjoy looking at it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Think I've heard it all now, I am going to donate all my worldly goods to charity to prevent them being stolen and going to live as a hermit in a cave in the Valleys away from roads as I hear they are very dangerous things!

If I still had young children I would home school them in my cave to avoid any risk of them being bullied.

No wifi in my cave as I heard the waves can cause cancer and I am not coming out as the sun is bad for you too!

I have removed the AMG badge from my car as it was attracting too much attention and fixed it to my wife's posterior so I can still enjoy looking at it.

At last, someone has come along thinking the same as me!:rock:

The only part I don't agree with is the AMG Badge positioning, some AMG Owners won't like you badgeing a non MB AMG Posterior!:devil:

At last, someone has come along thinking the same as me!:rock:

The only part I don't agree with is the AMG Badge positioning, some AMG Owners won't like you badgeing a non MB AMG Posterior![emoji317]
I assure you my wife is one of a kind totally deserving of the marque ;-)

I would have thought that the chances of a car being stolen from a locked garage are pretty remote. I have always imagined that the theives identify their target by touring the area and either take it there and then or return sometime later.

Presumably insurance companies also consider garaged cars to be less risk hence the specific question about garaging on the insurance proposal.

Then again my theories on how theives operate might be complete nonsense but I'm content to believe that my garaged car is reasonably safe and I don't give it a second thought.

I'm not so sure, I have heard that some insurers see garaged cars as a greater risk as the thieves can work on stealing it under cover and out of sight.

I have a C43 on order and I will be using the Disklok I currently have and getting AutoWatch Ghost fitted to it.

Are you aware that keeping your car in your garage actually increases the risk of it being stolen and will increase your premiums? Assuming they get past the alarm any thieves will have cover and will be able to spend time breaking into the car without being observed. #justsaying

Assuming.........;). I'd rather keep mine in a garage (as I do) - it is out of sight to people patrolling your street looking to fulfil his current order (apparently Audi are in demand at the moment).

Agreed!

I'm seriously considering purchasing a C63 Coupe (or maybe a C43).

Having had someone break in looking for car keys back in the day (2002), I am concerned about the potential theft of an AMG.

Here's my situation -

I live in the South West of England.
House is situated in a Cul De Sac (of type)
The car would be garaged (used at weekends)
My garage is integral to my house
House and garage are alarmed
At night I would leave the keys in a place that if someone was to break in they would find the keys. I don't want my family threatened.

So, should I be worried? What's the chances of someone trying to break in?

Many thanks

To be honest I was quite worried about the security of my car before I ordered it. Yours will be in a garage (I don't take note of a garaged car being a higher risk malarkey), you are in a quiet spot, etc- if they want it let them have it - after it is a year old you won't care and for the first year you can get new for old cover at no extra cost.

Buy it and drive it like you stole it!

The correct security will be the one you feel comfortable with. Some people are just much more risk averse than others.
When we were exiled for 25years in deepest Norfolk, I never locked the house or the cars. If a burglar ever did manage to find us, were going reward them with a sat nav....so they could find their way out!
Things are slightly different where we are now, and we were burgled a few years ago. No amount of locks would have prevented that as my wife and dogs were in the unlocked house at the time....but I do lock the door at night now!

This is the premise I work on. In my cul de sac there is an Audi, BMW, MB, Range Rover and even an Aston Martin to choose from, all parked on the drives. I reckon my base model MB is very safe in the garage. Encourage your neighbors not to garage their cars and you'll be fine.

If you are still concerned about violent thieves looking for key, leave it in the car and the electronic steering lock won't wear out so quickly.

^^^^as he said..... make yours the hardest to steal or the least wanted.

I have to say that having grown up in South Africa (left in my mid 40s, 20 years ago) the crime here (from my perspective) is a non-issue. Back then, beating and torturing (or worse) the occupants of the house was a side bonus for robbers and vehicle hi-jackings were just normal. I could not get my 5 Series (loved by thieves) insured without having a satellite tracker, and all sorts of hidden emergency buttons etc. The tracker service providers promised to return your car within 4 hours of the panic button being activated (helicopter with armed men tracked and recovered the vehicle). Problem was, the hi-jackers got wise to this and usually just put a bullet in the driver before a panic alarm could be activated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom