Their Saxo - Handbrake stuck on - Any help pls?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blassberg

Car
ex C320CDI, ex SLK200K, Sharing Their Saxo 1.1i !!, Her SLK200K, His ZX6R
Saxo sat on drive for a few weeks whilst #1 at uni and #2 moved out. Tried to move it, there was a clunk at the rear nearside wheel on putting handbrake down but cannot pull away as brakes clearly on.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Funnily enough that happened to darling daughter's on Monday and it pulled the brake pads off :eek:

I was told many moons agp to just take a hammer and give a gentle tap, but be interested to see if that view is held here - have never done it I hasten to add :eek: :D

I was going to suggest that you be a bit more brutal with it....
pammy said:
Funnily enough that happened to darling daughter's on Monday and it pulled the brake pads off :eek:
...maybe you shouldn't.
Try removing the wheel and tapping the brakes with a hammer.

Note: when applying hand-brake, pull firmly then release 1 notch.

PJH said:
Note: when applying hand-brake, pull firmly then release 1 notch.

Sadly that concept I cannot get through Hubby's skull! I often can't release the handbrake when he's put it on - I have to use two hands :eek: I go ape when it's Edna!!

pammy said:
OK Thanks Pammy. On one wheel? Rear nearside? And how simple was the cure?
PJH said:
Try removing the wheel and tapping the brakes with a hammer.
will try that thanks

blassberg said:
OK Thanks Pammy. On one wheel? Rear nearside? And how simple was the cure?

I'll let you know when we get it back from the mechanic later today or tomorrow :eek:

pammy said:
Sadly that concept I cannot get through Hubby's skull! I often can't release the handbrake when he's put it on - I have to use two hands :eek: I go ape when it's Edna!!

Its an emergency brake , not a handbrake. :crazy:

You might want to try just giving it a little nudge in reverse and in first.
So start the engine then select reverse and just nudge the car backwards. Then select first and nudge forward. This might release the pad from the hub (if your lucky).
Mac.

It might just be rust binding the pad that won't release, rust penetrating spray might do it. Not recommended if you are then going on a drive with oil on your discs and pads mind...

Try highish revs and aggressive release of the clutch - if it's just binding that should release it.

I got into the habit of never using the hand brake (instead just parking in gear) when I lived out in Munich as it was common in the cold winters for it to freeze on.

Both brakes had ceased on so have been replaced. It will now be parked in gear until it gets more regular daily use. ;)

machasm said:
You might want to try just giving it a little nudge in reverse and in first.
thanks guys - a lot of progress - but still the front offside sounds like it is binding - will investigate....

all sorted - thanks guys (/girls).

The machasm forward backward technique (!) worked on the handbrake. One piston sticking resumed normal service on a short drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom