there is something about American muscle cars ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
a mere £35k OTR, brand new .. 6.2V8, 430hp, manual gearbox, lots of toys. You can even get a sunroof.

LHD only though.

Chevrolet-Camaro-1441111105176541200x795.jpg

Chevrolet-Camaro-14212124793111600x1060.jpg

Chevrolet-Camaro-14411111050304811200x795.jpg

Chevrolet-Camaro-17101010221141600x1060.jpg

I purchased a 5.7 v8 Camaro T top in 1987 from the Yanks for $14000.(Brand new) The Yanks get a three year/100000 miles engine and drivetrain warranty. Plus, if purchased from AAFES (American NAAFI)the cost of shipping the car back to the States is included.
there was no service book as with a European vehicle, in case of a breakdown you had to show receipts for oil/plugs and filters etc. Strange thing was the man g/box used ATF.
It was a good car if you wanted to go in a straight line on a flat road,no problem,bends however were something else. The soundtrack was out of this world.

Last edited:
a mere £35k OTR, brand new .. 6.2V8, 430hp, manual gearbox, lots of toys. You can even get a sunroof.

A lot of metal and indeed horsepower for the money. But badly built out of cheap materials - and you must have a mullet if you own a Camaro. It's the law.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

It was a good car if you wanted to go in a straight line on a flat road,no problem,bends however were something else. The soundtrack was out of this world.
Yes! I had an '82 TransAm for a while back in the early 90s and it was a scream! Horrendous build quality and woeful in bends, but straight line performance was great and the noise was awesome!! I still hanker after a C5 'Vette.... :)

Back in the mid seventies a friend had a real muscle car, a 1966 Pontiac GTO with manual transmission. It was as predictable as a predictable thing, namely went like a bat out of hell in a straight line, hated going round corners, drank like it was going out of fashion and made the most glorious sounds imaginable. The best bit was the stacked headlights. And the acceleration, made all the more awesome by the lack of headrests. :)

1966-pontiac-gto-convertible.jpg

Last edited:
Back on the eighties, when American muscle cars were a relatively common site, one of my friends owned a Dodge Challenger 440 R/T, called the Artful Dodger, it was purple & custom painted and with scenes from Oliver Twist. Oh, did that car move.

1966 to 1969 was about when Muscle cars peaked. It's all been a little down hill since then.

Aesthetically speaking anyway. The thought of a 440cui unit and four drum brakes doesn't have the same appeal these days.

67 Camaro
390 gt Mustang
500 gt Mustang
Formula 400 Firebird

All those Pontiacs and Chevy's

Look at that GTO in Stratman's post, it's just built to look good and nothing else.

Sadly, I'd like one of these, although Mrs RedC220 would undoubtedly refer to it as a drug dealers car and refuse to get in it.

eleanor.jpg

Last edited:
The Camaro at the top of the page looks (I think the correct term is) "Bad Ass"...

i dont care about all the talk regarding the handling around corners, etc..

I want one :rock:

The closest you can get to a Muscle Car in RHD until recently was to buy Australian e.g. Vauxhall Monaro [ Holden Special Vehicles?] Think the price of petrol inevitably spells the death knell of the large capacity simple V8's - step forward smaller capacity forced induction straight/V six or four engines --- more's the pity

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Not without it's flaws of course, but I'd have one...

Think the price of petrol inevitably spells the death knell of the large capacity simple V8's - step forward smaller capacity forced induction straight/V six or four engines --- more's the pity

Ahhh, the deep, uneven rumble of a large capacity Vee....

Whilst on business in Los Angeles; I went to a garage that solely dealt with early Ford Mustangs. Amazing machines, beautifully restored and uprated. The guy that ran the garage was impressed with my knowledge and let me drive one of the cars around the block a few times, turns out, it was being shipped to the UK for Justin Hawkins of The Darkness!

A 69 - 70 Chevelle SS 396 for me, or Plymouth Roadrunner with a big block hemi.....beep beep.

Not quite a Muscle car but I recently had a 5.7 Dodge Ram 1500, It seemed to be made from old bean tins but the glorious sound it made from the Magnaflow exhausts as it squirreled down the road was glorious.

It was mildly frightening in the cornering dept but a real hoot to drive through town watching people dive out of its way

Ive driven plenty of cars in my time but the RAM is to date the only car that passers by have taken photos of as I drove by

This was she...... http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/nurple-albums-my-mercedes-album-picture5574-my-old-dodge.html

Last edited:
if I didn't have a CLS55 already, I would be very tempted to order a new Camaro in white, with orange interior and sunroof, with manual transmission.

an interior pic

2012_dodge_challenger_dashboard.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom