There May Be Trouble Ahead.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuffolkBenz

Car
C Class 280 2006
Hello all. Here is an interesting situation I would appreciate any views on.

Bought a C280 2006 1 month ago from MB Main Dealer. Full warranty of course. Air Con didn't seem to work, so took it to another, local MB dealer for a re gas today.

Told that the Air Con compressor has been hit by a stone and is u/s. Need a new one at £820 :eek: and warranty will not cover. Advised us to speak to the original, selling MB dealer.

Now- no way has the car been hit by a stone big enough to damage the compressor. I'm thinking that must be a major hit, and the car remains immaculate with no damage whatsoever. I believe the thing must have been faulty when sold.

So- can the ac compressor be written off by a stone through the grill? Do you think the selling MB will pick up some/all of the cost? Should I just sell a kidney now??

I'm not familiar with your model of Mercedes, but stone damage usually occurs to the condensor (the small radiator used by the a/c system) rather than the compressor which drives the a/c system via a belt from the drive shaft. I'd be shocked if someone quoted me over 800 for a condensor. Are you sure they quoted the right part ?

2nd opinion from selling main dealer without advising them you have already visited another?

I assume that you mentioned the non working a/c when you bought the car? Just take it back to the selling dealer and tell them it has never worked please can they fix it.

yeah , original dealer should help.

The MB used car warranty won't cover this as the car wasnt right from day dot.

Thats crap mate, there is no way a stone will go through a compressor.

Ive has this on a few Mercs, the garage tell them its a broken compressor, they bring it to me (Owner of PremiAir Conditioning, Air conditioning and refrigeration engineers) for a seccond opinion and all they need is a Re-gas.

I looked into it and the book timeings and costings of a dealer doing it will fill one mans alotment for a days work. So what i recon they are doing it telling people there broken, in the hope of getting an easy day as in reality it would only take 2-3 hours to do.

Best bet is get you car to a profesional Refrigeration engineer and they will tell you exactly whats going on.

It sounds most unlikely that a stone could damage an aircon compressor.
I'm not familiar with the exact layout of your engine compartment, but I would be most surprised if a sizable road-stone could even hit your compressor.
Stone damage to the aircon heat exchanger rad is not uncommon.
They are pretty fragile, as are most vehicle rads.
Is this what they really mean ?

Johnsco

I think you mean condensor not compressor.

A stone can put a hole in the condensor which is very common. And its not usually covered under warranties either.

Brief update. It was a stone through the Condensor. MB replaced it (over 4 days!) for £770, negotiated down to £460 for "goodwill". They were adamant air con worked when the car was delivered.

Have I been done?

well yes and no.. genuine condensors are expensive and so the price may not be too bad.

In their defence they do go very often and it could easily have happened after purchase. The stone doesnt have to be large at all.

Brief update. It was a stone through the Condensor. MB replaced it (over 4 days!) for £770, negotiated down to £460 for "goodwill". They were adamant air con worked when the car was delivered.

Have I been done?

Only you know if it worked when u picked it up or not...if it worked then no -- if it didn't then a big yes..

Did you see/have they got a copy of the pdi report?

When we bought the car it was freezing cold- so hard to say if it worked or not. PDI merely showed air con to be working, no inspection of the various parts.

PS had a loaner for a week though- a G class. Great fun, but 21 mpg in a diesel :eek:....

I'm happy with how the dealer has dealt with us, but surprised at 15 hours of labour and the cost of a genuine MB condensor

thats crazy.. and impossible? The labour rate is usually over £100 so with a £700 invoice??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom