There's always something that stops you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp87

Car
W166 GLE350d
Well, received my wheels for the CLK yesterday and got them all sealed up (2 coats of Chemical Guy's Wheel Guard) and as I'm house bound this weekend due to work decided to have a go at fitting them.

Started on the back, no problems at all aside from the fact the new bolts I got from eBay didn't fit at all grrr......

Although that was nothing as when it came time to change the fronts over I couldn't even budge the bolts. The brakes were changed on the fronts just before I collected the car and they must have torque'd them to heck! :wallbash:

So now I've got a very wonky looking car with 2 AMG alloys sitting in the boot. Need to try and pop along to Kwik-Fit and ask them nicely to change them for me and I suppose whilst they are at it refill them with nitrogen to get those green valve caps.

Here is how she is currently sitting...

_MG_7609_zps28fddaad.jpg

It's going to look good, thanks to whitenemesis for the wheels and taking such great care of them. :rock:

Sorry to hear the wheel swap wasn't as simple as planned.

If the front wheel bolts have been tightened up that much, the threads may be buggered and stretched.

But if you have new bolts, you won't need to worry I guess.

:thumb:

You're going to have to lower it too now, looks like it's on stilts with those wheels.

Great improvement though, suit that car/colour nicely.

Wheels look nice Marty but the ride height looks odd at the back. As its raised up, I'd check the alignment is ok.

Really hope the threads are okay on the bolts as the new ones were the wrong thickness so wouldn't even go through the hole on the wheel.

I do agree it looks like a off-roader! I'm thinking once the front are fitted it may balance it out a little better. If not H&R springs and Bilstein shocks will need to be added to the mod list.

Thanks Steve, as I said above I'm hoping the fronts will balance it out a little but as I need to get a shop to change the wheels (I can't believe I'm saying that) I will ask them to do an alignment check on the car although it won't lower the car it will at least make sure the tracking is good!

Could it look high just because its not settled back down after jacking up to change the wheels? The new wheels look great.

It looks much the same as the pic in his sig, think it's just the unfortunate optical illusion you get when the wheel gets bigger and profile gets smaller, when the depth of the tyre is a lot less than the wheel arch gap.

Don't worry, most people won't notice in the flesh, we're concentrating on a still image.

Never thought about the fact it might not have settled back in to its normal position after being jacked up, I'll take a look this afternoon.

Although, as you say Ian, I think it probably is just the way it is going to sit on the Avantgarte suspension. I'll need to price up some new shocks and springs for it but a trip to the bodyshop to repaint the rear bumper and blend in the edges of the doors is in order first, along with the 60k service.

As I can't go anywhere today the other two wheels will be fitted tomorrow, fingers crossed it goes smoothly! Pics will be posted, assuming it is still light if not Tuesday evening.

Might sound a bit trivial re the bolts, but have you slid a long pole to the wrench?

Gives you enough leverage to undo the tight bolt.

Hi Billy, yes. As I struggled, I asked my dad to take a go who brought out a power bar to no avail either. Those front wheels are on very, very tight!!!

Good news!

Got the front wheels swapped over today at HiQ - fantastic service, £10 to change the wheels and £5 to refill all four wheels with nitrogen.

Sadly it was too dark for photos by the time I got home, but will grab some tomorrow. Measured the gap from the top of the tire to the wheel arch and front and back sit at 40-45mm. Not that much of a gap, I think on the original photo it was perhaps due to the car not settling back down after being jacked up?

looking good mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom