Thermatic - Climate control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dad4geer

Car
W204 C180 AMG Sport
I am still confused as how this whole thing works..

What is the purpose of "AUTO", button 12 in the attached picture? Do we use it when we have to activate climate control so I want some other temp and missus wants something else? most of the time it's only me driving so in that case I should not be using AUTO? Am I right? I normally keep AUTO deactiavted as what I noticed that if it is activated I don't get any Air from the centre vents only from side vents.

If I set a temperature, same temperature both sides, is it necessary to Activate Auto? today as it was a bit cold in the morning, I set the dial to 25C and started getting warm nice air from all vents..but then I noticed the A/C light switched on button 4. I was still getting warm air...Why the A/C light came up? my understanding is that it is for cool air (to be used during summer?) I had to press the A/C button to switch it off and even after that I was getting the same warm air.. not sure why it came up and what is the function of that A/C button when I have set a warmer temp compared to outside.:dk:

How would you set temperature during winter days? just set the dial to 25-26 and then set Air distribution using button 8, keeping AUTO off and A/C off?

The Zone, button 3, is that used when you want to set different temp for driver and passenger?

Thanks for help!

Attachments

• Thermatic.jpg
    Thermatic.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 46
Set your side to your preferred temperature, let your passenger set it to their preferred temperature and press auto. The system will then set optimum temperature, air/vent distribution and fab speeds without you having to touch it - apart from windscreen defrost. In reality we tend to like it a bit warmer than 'optimum' in winter, and a bit cooler in summer. Leave the aircon on all the time as it dries the air and keeps windows from misting up.
Edit: no idea what the zone bit is.

Thanks for explaining the A/C button as I was thinking it is for cool air and use to turn it off... Zone button I think is for climate control? not sure though :(

Definitely leave the A/C switched on. Just use the temp up and down buttons to control the temperature.

If the refrigerant and lubrication is not pumped around the system then you run the risk of seals drying out, which can be very much not cheap to repair.

Please do not ask how I know this.

Regarding the Zone button - on the M class, turning the Zone button to off (indicator lamp off) means the drivers side settings are applied to the whole car. Guess that means when Zone indicator is lit, then the seperate driver and passenger settings are applied to the driver and passenger zones respectively.

Would think this applies to the W204 as well.

Ted, nice to see I'm not the only one who 'enjoys' this spousal behaviour.

Unfortunately, mine applies this approach to just about all technology she comes across.

Keeps me occupied though in fixing phones, tablets, laptops etc. I once suggested reading the manual first - won't try that again!

From what i can remember the system in the W204 wasnt too bad when just left on auto.

Leave the AC on as it dries the air and set it to 21/22 and just enjoy :)

Might be worth changing the pollen filter if you haven't done already.

From what i can remember the system in the W204 wasnt too bad when just left on auto.

Leave the AC on as it dries the air and set it to 21/22 and just enjoy :)

Might be worth changing the pollen filter if you haven't done already.

Had a Service D carried out on my car before I bought it last month so I'd imagine the filter would have been changed? :crazy:

Never assume, especially regarding pollen/cabin filters.....

As stated , the zone button controls passenger and drivers temp depending if in it off , allows both sides to be same temperature , or pressing it allows each side to adjust their on temperature ...
the ac light on when in auto mode is to keep the air dehumidifies and help the loss of condensation in the car also ,

"auto" also takes control of the fan speed which can startle you when it's first turned on.

Most ramp up slowly and then only once there's heat in the system.

I've just got a W205 and have to say that the whole climate control way of operation baffles me. Confusing as hell. I have settled for both Sync and Auto being left on all the time however when I got in the car today I set the temp at 23 and nothing came out of the air vents. It seems to have a mind of its own.

By the way does leaving aircon on all the time not use a lot of fuel? Or is it just one of those exaggerated old wives tales?

Not as much fuel as driving the car. - Technically you're taking some power from the engine to turn the compressor over, so you burn more fuel to compensate.
It might be as much as 10% difference in a reasonably new car (older cars could be significantly higher).

If you're trying for maximum fuel efficiency, turn it off.

I've just got a W205 and have to say that the whole climate control way of operation baffles me. Confusing as hell. I have settled for both Sync and Auto being left on all the time however when I got in the car today I set the temp at 23 and nothing came out of the air vents. It seems to have a mind of its own.

By the way does leaving aircon on all the time not use a lot of fuel? Or is it just one of those exaggerated old wives tales?

Air will start once the system stabilised , especially when heating, cooling should start almost straight away.

I have never detected any affect on fuel consumption by using or not using, the a/c. There are far too many other variables in day to day driving that change mpg.

Set it on Auto with a/c on, set your preferred temp and leave it alone....

Not as much fuel as driving the car. - Technically you're taking some power from the engine to turn the compressor over, so you burn more fuel to compensate.
It might be as much as 10% difference in a reasonably new car (older cars could be significantly higher).

If you're trying for maximum fuel efficiency, turn it off.

Well, I am neither a boyracer nor someone that drives with thermal gloves on and heating off. :) I have read on several places that apparently the aircon does use a lot of fuel. But up to 10% for constant usage is not bad at all.

Air will start once the system stabilised , especially when heating, cooling should start almost straight away.

I have never detected any affect on fuel consumption by using or not using, the a/c. There are far too many other variables in day to day driving that change mpg.

Set it on Auto with a/c on, set your preferred temp and leave it alone....

Purely out of curiosity: Why is the Aircon needed to be always on though? The ventilation system itself should be capable to handle the heating side of things.

Plus, yesterday I had the A/C and Auto turned on and the temp at 22. Warm air was coming out of side vents but nothing out of middle vents:dk:. Nothing happened even when I turned the temp up. This was about 5 mins into the journey. Today I turned a/c off and left it on auto and set temp at 19. Because the car was parked in the sun it had got warm inside so when I turned it on cold air gushed out of all vents.

Perhaps I am used to the ventilation systems of other brands such as Corsa and Focus and maybe Merc's is different?

Leaving the a/c on dehumidifies the incoming air, helping to reduce fogging of the windows and keeping the interior nice and damp free. It also ensures the a/c system seals are kept lubricated, preventing them drying out and causing gas leaks.

IIRC on many models the centre dash vents only supply fresh and/or cooled air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom