Thermocoupling Fan broke off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLP 92

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
Just as i have started my mods and ordered my bodykit for my SL500 i hear this massive shearing sound followed by a series of clangs. :eek:
Slowly pulled over, got out of the car and saw steam pouring out the front, a small dent protuding out of the bonnet, water dripping from under the car. Opened the bonnet and the fan was poking out the radiator, steam everywhere! So called my mate thats a mechanic and told him to get his tow truck and take the car in.
He had a quick look at it and said the visible damage includes new radiator, new hoses for radiator, new water pump, new thermocoupler, new radiator housing and probably loads more when he finishes inspecting it properly... and the bonnet will need a repaint!
I suppose the bill will come to at least a £1000+ so i'm not in a good mood. Euro-Car-Parts want £350 for the rad, £200 for the coupler and water pump is £71. prices without VAT. I will be using genuine Merc parts but looked on the internet site for europarts to get an estimate.
Does anyone know where i can get the above parts from cheaper?
Does anyone know why something loke this would happen? The car had been driving fine, no rattles or squeels or any sort of overheating problems whatsoever. The car was last services 1000 miles ago at Mercedes and a full extended service was carried out. Shouldn't Mercedes have picked up on a potential problem?

Sorry to hear about that :-(

It will be no consolation to know that this type of failure is not uncommon

Linky

There were many other reports - but when you you are up to your ar*e in crocodiles another alligator is irrelevant.

Good luck

Last edited:
Tough luck mate, lets hope that you are back on the road soon without too much of a drain on your pocket. :devil: :devil:

Well £292+vat for the radiator, £262+Vat for the coupling and approx £120+ Vat for the water pump :mad:
Basically lokking at £800 for parts alone. So i decided i will get the gearbox oil changed as well and basically get a full inspection done on it. All discs/pads are being changed as well and i am getting the rear diff oil renewed as well as the brake fluid. Basically a big hole in the pocket! Will have to put the idea of my twin twin exhaust aside for another few months!!

looked at them but they haven't got anything in stock!
Anyway i ordered the genuine merc parts. Peace of mind in long run.

KLP 92 said:
Well £292+vat for the radiator, £262+Vat for the coupling and approx £120+ Vat for the water pump :mad:
Basically lokking at £800 for parts alone...............snipped

I assume you got at least a 10% discount on parts at the dealership to bring those prices down a tadge?

Last edited:
Got the trade discount whatever that is!

that is bad luck. I hope you are back on the road soon......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom