Thermostat C209 200K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clogdiver

Car
2006 CLK 200K / 2013 E Class E350 CDI Sport
I was going to take a look at swapping out my thermostat because I can do 25 miles and the heater never gets hot and the display never goes above 40.

Has anyone seen a fault like this?

Is it normal for CLK 2006 200K to be so slow to get hot?

When I change it, is there anything to look out for and what coolant to top up with?

It needs changing, optimum is 90º and should reach temperature a lot quicker than it does and run at least somewhere between 85º & 90º. Use a genuine MB stat. You should notice an increase in mpg and better performance.

Probably best to use MB coolant, supposed to last a good many years without changing it. (Check with dealer). And it's always worth asking if they can offer any discount.

I had the same problem as you on my 2003 c220 I could do 20 motorway miles and my temp would only get to 50 degrees. I changed the thermostat last week and the prob is sorted my temp is constantly around 90 degrees so I pleased with that as for antifreeze I suppose it's up to you as long as it's the correct one for your car I'm using comma extreme G48 it's around £12 for 2 litres

Thanks. I am going to get the bits and pop it in. Looks a simple job so I will give it a go. Because its happened over time I just could not remember what was running temp. Cant make it worse ! I hope.... :)

Mike, I made the stupid stupid mistake of just trying a stat from Europarts. I used a Circoli one. It made the job 3 times a long. I think I would rather sit on the number 9 bus out of Stourbridge to Brum than do that again. Its working at the moment but I am going to swap it with a MB one.

Stick with the Circoli stat, at least long enough to see how it performs. It should be comparable with the MB one. To be perfectly honest with you, I have an ECP stat (different design to yours) in my oil burner and it works really efficiently. The main reason I suggested MB OE for you is because I've seen a posting on here about the ECP stat for your engine saying that they were a little bit oversize and had to be filed down to get them to fit properly.

Is it all toasty in the cabin now?

Only just noticed that you're in Stourbridge. :thumb:

Just for info, my brother in law had the same problem with his S Class and he brought a thermostat from MB. He said it wasn't that expensive. So on New Years day he popped round and we had a go to change it. 6 hours later we had the old one out and new one in, only because we need bits and pieces. Anyway his old temp used to be around 50 degrees and when the new one was fitted after a short while went up to 90 degrees and his cabin was hot.

He lost some coolant but brought some coolant called Xtreme which he had in there before.

Mercedes charge about 10-12 for 1 litre of coolant, I know this because I rung them about coolant yesterday. I thought that was cheap and I would stick with the MB coolant if I was you.

P.S. If you don't empty the reservoir then be prepared to lose some coolant lol as we found out.

kind regards

Raj

Mick,
The Circoli works fine now and is running at 90 (opens and closes as required). The only real issue I had was the same as you. It would not fit in the hole because it not round and needs to go in perfectly straight. I spent a couple of hours filing around it and checking with the caliper. Washing it in clean water so I did not fill up my block with any filings. Eventually it went in. Kind of precision engineered fit but its in.

To be honest the Circoli looked like they had thrown it against a rock when it arrived. Outer box was perfect so its down to the manufacturing process and quality. To be honest for the price I really cannot grumble (but I will).

The cabin is toasty roasty now and I must have forgotten how it was supposed to run.

Getting better MPG at idle but nothing much extra on 25 mile run this morning.

Mind you nearly made a giddy 33.4 this morning.

Yes Im also in Stourbridge. I'll buy you a pint if I see you!

Ps thanks Steve / Raj :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom