Thermostat on 2litre C200K. How to change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookci

What temp should the car run at? It seems to take forever for the it to get to around 80 on a run and then doesnt go above? is this normal? In traffic it can reach almost 100

Is changing the stat on one of these a DIY job and if so where abouts is it? Im not a complete beginner having changed about 5 in my life now although on jap cars

Mine doesn't reach temperature for a few miles, but it's not ages... I hit about 80 in about 5 miles I guess, less if I'm going down the motorway, then it's pretty instant, about 2 miles I guess.
I have to say though that if you have a dodgy thermostat it is worth changing because I had a similar problem in my old car and it was hammering my fuel economy.

Mine doesn't reach temperature for a few miles, but it's not ages... I hit about 80 in about 5 miles I guess, less if I'm going down the motorway, then it's pretty instant, about 2 miles I guess.
I have to say though that if you have a dodgy thermostat it is worth changing because I had a similar problem in my old car and it was hammering my fuel economy.

Diesels do take a long time to warm up and thats normal

What temp should the car run at? It seems to take forever for the it to get to around 80 on a run and then doesnt go above? is this normal? In traffic it can reach almost 100

Is changing the stat on one of these a DIY job and if so where abouts is it? Im not a complete beginner having changed about 5 in my life now although on jap cars

Yes it is a DIY, not clear on the car the first 6 VIN numbers

203 ???

so how many miles would you say i need to do before it should be warm?

it took about 4 miles at 50mph to hit 80 degrees. Not sure if that means its actually ok?

thanks. I will have a look when i get home :)

You could have a choice of a Winter or Summer stat to alter the warming up times

it took about 4 miles at 50mph to hit 80 degrees. Not sure if that means its actually ok?

is that in Petrol or Diesel? The thing is (like Television said) Diesels are slower to warm - mine sounds like a tumble dryer on amphetamines for the first few moments of it firing up :crazy: but I read somewhere that it actually does them good to put your foot down right away and it's a bit of a fallacy that you need to be gentle with them as such to 'warm up'.

Mine loves it if I boot it down the motorway right after firing it up (I live right near the motorway junction) so I would say that if yours is a Diesel, sounds pretty normal to me.....but then I have to put a disclaimer here that I am very blonde and I am a woman, so you are well within your rights not to listen to me!! - nuff said ;)

Edited: I just looked at the car you have - maybe I should have done that to begin with - I am going to shut up now and let the professionals answer you!! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom