thermostat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.farmer

Car
the only car is a Merc
Would anyone know how to remove the thermostat from my W124. 200 TE
had to break it out over the weekend and just leave the outer flange as it didn't want to be removed. Thanks Rob

Robert, if its anything like my 200T then its quite simple. Undo three screws on plastic thermostat housing. Remove Housing. Pull our thermostat. Replace with new thermostat. Clean and examine plastic thermostat housing cover. If its crack free and in good condition replace ( I always put some gasket gum round the seal)

Hi Ian, done all that but will not come out and as its an ally casing don't want to be too heavy handed, i suspect its the original one and it has welded itself in so perhaps its off to the garage to get it done.

On an car I had once the thermostat was actually part of the ally housing so both had to be replaced as one part.Im wondering if this applies for this as well?

THats what i have been told but acccording to the book it should come out.

On my 190E its an ally casting, the thermostat was quite well stuck in, but came out with a good heave. The surface above it had corroded a bit because someone had just put water in the cooling system.

You could try sanding back the little surface above it, or just spray on some WD40 and give it a good pull.

at first sight they are a sod to get out Rob but.......

look just inside the lip of the housing and you should see a rubber insert - pull that out (geta small flat screwdriver behind it to break the seal) then the thermostat should just lift straight out

HTH

Andy

Pour boiling water over the ali to expand it then tap the thermostat clockwise or anti clockwise to break the seal. Give it a try and let me know. Cant see that it is a one piece unit. Doesnt make sense to me.

Thanks all it does look a a bit of a sod but will see what i can do ,doesn't make sense to me either being a complete unit, can't see the point, will keep you informed.

You could try giving it a few taps with a rubber or wooden mallet to try and break the seal.

Stu

took car to garage this morning to see about termostat, took the cover off and with a large pair of grips he gave one mighty Yank and it came out,new one fitted all done in about 5 mins, i won't repeat the names he called me but all i said was that (you are a braver man than me) topped me up with antifreeze and away i went ( minus bonnet star) total cost £15.00. What was i worrying about??????????

Some toerag nicked it putting 3 dents in the bonnet in the process :devil: :devil: :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom