They live among us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I personally think 70mph is old fastioned it should be re evaluated today's cars are faster,better made, better brakes you can go faster than 70 in a smart car ,having spent many years in Germany we should have a recommended limit of 85 (135kmh), it would be a better option that under 21s or new driver's should have a cc rating to stop new driver's buying cars they have no idea how to drive just because you have a licence doesn't mean you can drive
The CC rating isn’t a crazy idea, didn’t they do something similar with motorbikes some years ago?

I passed my bike test before the regs changed so I could have jumped off my 125 Honda straight onto a 1200cc BMW. Thankfully that’s no longer the case, so why not with cars?

The upper cc limit on motorcycles was made up when 250cc wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, that all changed with Yamaha 250 YPVS back in the day, they also made a 350 cc with engine parts that were quite easy to swap about and the 250 could be tuned up nicely.

I think it was Motorcycle News that squeezed over 100mph out of a 250cc and stuck it on the front cover...soon after 250cc became 125 cc, then that became 12 horsepower. Not sure what happened after that , there are restrictions still in place , but restricting cubic capacity is not really the answer, restricting power is. BUT it has to be done sensibly , some restricted bike were lethal to ride due to crude attempts at restriction for the UK market such as washers welded in the exhaust pipe/stoppers on top of the carb slide (all easily removable) probably easier to restrict stuff these days using a ECU programme -as we see on our cars today - But better driver education and subsequent attitude adjustment might be a better path to take.

Fines do not work for the wealthy or those who plead poverty, the jails are full (and expensive) , crushing cars/bikes looks good on screen but has a lot of legal baggage and environmental questions asked etc etc. The answer is out there somewhere.....

P
Human error.
Precisely people driving vehicles they can't control hence limit the vehicles available to them for a period of time my other half had her test cancelled due to frost so how does that work in the real world (11years ago) but im sure its still the same the only new thing bought in is motorway driving which I agree with

Not all RTA’s are caused because the vehicle is too powerful for the driver though. A 1.0 litre fiesta can just as easily cause a life changing accident as a 4.0l V8

Not all RTA’s are caused because the vehicle is too powerful for the driver though. A 1.0 litre fiesta can just as easily cause a life changing accident as a 4.0l V8
I totally agree but pardon my french but someone put that idiot behind the wheel as i mentioned before having a licence doesn't mean you can drive,

I totally agree but pardon my french but someone put that idiot behind the wheel as i mentioned before having a licence doesn't mean you can drive,
Correct. But it’s impossible to detect a pr!ck driver during a test because they’ll be on best behaviour.

Correct. But it’s impossible to detect a pr!ck driver during a test because they’ll be on best behaviour.
Agreed but then go out and buy a performance car asking for trouble at least with a 1.0L fiesta etc you could cut the percentage down even carrying passengers could help their is no solution to idiots driving just try to put things in place my 1st car was a opel manta gte berlinetta which i drove flat out everywhere (i was in Germany,)but when i took my test there wasn't the amount of traffic on the roads as today

Re motorcycles, (post #23) I had a 1984 Honda VT250F, first introduced in 1982, when it was the first 4-stroke road 250 to be rated at 100mph+. Redlined at 13500rpm, not bad for a 4-stroke.

Two strokes went faster earlier, I understand.

Last edited:
w
Agreed but then go out and buy a performance car asking for trouble at least with a 1.0L fiesta etc you could cut the percentage down even carrying passengers could help their is no solution to idiots driving just try to put things in place my 1st car was a opel manta gte berlinetta which i drove flat out everywhere (i was in Germany,)but when i took my test there wasn't the amount of traffic on the roads as today
Again, I agree partly with the points you make. But (there’s always a but 😊) I’m guessing that the percentage of daily RTA in high powered cars is fairly small. Mostly they’ll be as a result of human error in very average run of the mill cars.

I have long held the belief that because cars today are very quiet you dont get a real feel for the speed you are doing. My old fiesta was a noisy b*gg*r so it made you think you were going faster than you really were
Unless you drive a c63 😁

There are always going to be idiots, old and young and sadly there will always be fatalities. No escaping this.
Why not take a different approach, make the drivers fully responsible for their actions. If you drive around, fast, drunk, stoned or have no licence and cause no problems, great you got to your destination safely.
If you cause problems then you pay heavily. Jail, fines, loss of lively hood, let the victim help in sentencing. If you murder someone then orf to jail for 25 years. No excuses..

This might seem like encouragement to break the law but once the jails began filling up with idiots and killers things would back settle down but only to where it is now. Pointless you say, well it would free up our police for other issues and some of these idiots might think twice before doing something dangerous. One life saved is a bonus.

I would raise speed limits on motorways, smart motorways could do this easily, good conditions, little traffic so raise the limit and visa versa. Yup, limit cc in early years too.

shall I run for cover now ?????

There are always going to be idiots, old and young and sadly there will always be fatalities. No escaping this.
Why not take a different approach, make the drivers fully responsible for their actions. If you drive around, fast, drunk, stoned or have no licence and cause no problems, great you got to your destination safely.
If you cause problems then you pay heavily. Jail, fines, loss of lively hood, let the victim help in sentencing. If you murder someone then orf to jail for 25 years. No excuses..

This might seem like encouragement to break the law but once the jails began filling up with idiots and killers things would back settle down but only to where it is now. Pointless you say, well it would free up our police for other issues and some of these idiots might think twice before doing something dangerous. One life saved is a bonus.

I would raise speed limits on motorways, smart motorways could do this easily, good conditions, little traffic so raise the limit and visa versa. Yup, limit cc in early years too.

I agree with most of it but you can't fine somone who has nothing ,can't ban if got no licence to start with and tbh jail isnt a deterrent its a joke and people like that only think of number 1 themselves ,the police are to busy fining people for breaking covid rules so no luck with them 🤔

Are you really suggesting people should be allowed to drive how they please, and only if they 'cause problems' are then penalised? How about we do what we can to deter killing innocents in the first place? How can a dead person 'help in sentencing'?

I posted this in another thread:

The maximum sentence for driving while disqualified is six months' imprisonment. The prisons are full, however, and prison sentences for other than serious offences are rare for that reason.

I don't give a monkey's for the 'human rights' of petty criminals; they don't give a monkey's for the rights of law-abiding citizens, so why should they have the benefit of a system they don't respect or conform to? The problem is, it costs a fortune to keep people in prison, and an absolute fortune to build a new prison. Now, if only somebody could come up with a way to do it on the cheap...

Fence off sink estates with the best escape-proof walls money can buy, with heavily-guarded access/exit points to control who goes in and out; move the decent people out, and put all the scum in there to prey on each other until they've served their time? Hmmmmmm... Nah, it would never work; there aren't enough sink estates...

(Yes, I know all the statistics show prison doesn't work as a deterrent to future offending, but if they're locked up they're not offending, are they? What I would most like to see is a justice system which, first and foremost, stops the bastards doing it; rehabilitation comes a distant second. I think most of the population would agree.)

I posted this in another thread:

The maximum sentence for driving while disqualified is six months' imprisonment. The prisons are full, however, and prison sentences for other than serious offences are rare for that reason.

I don't give a monkey's for the 'human rights' of petty criminals; they don't give a monkey's for the rights of law-abiding citizens, so why should they have the benefit of a system they don't respect or conform to? The problem is, it costs a fortune to keep people in prison, and an absolute fortune to build a new prison. Now, if only somebody could come up with a way to do it on the cheap...

Fence off sink estates with the best escape-proof walls money can buy, with heavily-guarded access/exit points to control who goes in and out; move the decent people out, and put all the scum in there to prey on each other until they've served their time? Hmmmmmm... Nah, it would never work; there aren't enough sink estates...

(Yes, I know all the statistics show prison doesn't work as a deterrent to future offending, but if they're locked up they're not offending, are they? What I would most like to see is a justice system which, first and foremost, stops the bastards doing it; rehabilitation comes a distant second. I think most of the population would agree.)
I totally agree but 6 months jail is not the maximum sentence allowed every thing else yes the main problem with the kids of today is they want everything given to them and not willing to work for it ive spoken to you before so you know where I'm coming from national service never heart anyone the youngsters of today have respect for anything or anyone

I may have mentioned this in another thread some time ago.......
Prison life is too easy, in my opinion all prisoners should be made to run on treadmills for 18hrs a day, wear them out then send them to bed. 18hrs every day, of every week, of every year they're sentenced. If criminals don't like that idea then they have the choice to not commit a crime. While we're at it, have the treadmills connected to generators so while the prisoners are doing time they're producing cheap electric for the grid. I'll get my coat......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom