Thin end of the wedge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Kia E-Niro ex C 200 CDI Sport
Just read that there are proposals to reduce speed limits on certain sections of Motorway to 60mph to reduce pollution, is this the start of more restrictions on motorists.

Reactions: 219
Just read that there are proposals to reduce speed limits on certain sections of Motorway to 60mph to reduce pollution, is this the start of more restrictions on motorists.
The local authorities in Wrexham put a permanent 50mph limit on a section of the dual carriageway main bypass (A483), citing reduced pollution as the reason. This was either earlier this year or late last year (losing track of time due to the lockdown period).

So to answer your question... yup!

The authorities in north Wales are famously anal about speed and speeding, with the support of the police, courtesy I think of a previous Chief Constable called Richard Brunstrom, whose legacy of obsessive rigid speeding enforcement lives on. The so-called 'North Wales Expressway' (hah), the main artery dual carriageway running along the North Wales coast, is restricted to 50 mph for its entire length in Wales.

Been peak time 'congestion' speed limit reductions on M1 near Sheffield for years in the name of reduced pollution I believe

... The so-called 'North Wales Expressway' (hah), the main artery dual carriageway running along the North Wales coast, is restricted to 50 mph for its entire length in Wales.
Fake news, unless it's changed very recently.

The North Wales Expressway (A55) is not restricted to 50 mph for its entire length in Wales. The section past Colwyn Bay is 50 and has been for quite a few years. Besides some other local restrictions (Conwy tunnel for example) National Speed Limits apply.

Having different type of cars driving at different speeds on the motorway can be dangerous. Petrol and Diesel cars will be driving at 50mph or 60mph, while EVs will be driving at 70mph. Oh, wait, EVs are not exempt from the new speed restrictions? But I thought it was due to pollution... oh well.

Having different type of cars driving at different speeds on the motorway can be dangerous. Petrol and Diesel cars will be driving at 50mph or 60mph, while EVs will be driving at 70mph. Oh, wait, EVs are not exempt from the new speed restrictions? But I thought it was due to pollution... oh well.
I think they are reducing the motorway speed limit so that electric vehicles can travel a bit nearer to their stated range rather than just between service station charging points. Stranded EVs are a right pain in the Rse.

Fake news, unless it's changed very recently.

The North Wales Expressway (A55) is not restricted to 50 mph for its entire length in Wales. The section past Colwyn Bay is 50 and has been for quite a few years. Besides some other local restrictions (Conwy tunnel for example) National Speed Limits apply.

About four years ago, I bought a car from the owner of a caravan site at the foot of Mt. Snowdon. I can't remember exactly where I joined the A55 on the way back, but it was certainly before Conway. Another member on here had warned me to stick rigidly to the speed limit, which was 50 mph, and I did. Perhaps it's that unusual behaviour (sticking rigidly to the motorway speed limit; not something I'd normally do in the civilised world Darn Sarf...) that I recall.

Well my thoughts are that these three sections of motorway,will become very dangerous when they bring the speed limit down to 60 mph,motorways are the safest roads we drive on,but with a speed limit of 60 mph ,you will have the LGV's doing very near or at that speed and so we will have three lanes of traffic all doing the same speed,there will be a increase of accidents because of this,I would suspect that there will be more traffic jams as well so the pollution will not go down either.

About four years ago, I bought a car from the owner of a caravan site at the foot of Mt. Snowdon. I can't remember exactly where I joined the A55 on the way back, but it was certainly before Conway. Another member on here had warned me to stick rigidly to the speed limit, which was 50 mph, and I did. Perhaps it's that unusual behaviour (sticking rigidly to the motorway speed limit; not something I'd normally do in the civilised world Darn Sarf...) that I recall.
Well, prior to lockdown I drove along the A55 reasonably often, from and back to the Chester end, to various points into Wales depending on what I'm doing. The A55 is not to my knowledge or in my experience, generally restricted to 50mph.

Your comments regarding the enforcement of speed limits in North Wales are otherwise correct. Given that some areas of North Wales (Evo Triangle for example) get used by groups of 'enthusiastic' drivers (including me in the past) it's not hard to understand their position.

Given the still increasing COVID national expenditure , yes the motorists will be pulling their cheeks apart (and their wallets) :eek:

The authorities in north Wales are famously anal about speed and speeding, with the support of the police, courtesy I think of a previous Chief Constable called Richard Brunstrom
A friend of mine had the misfortune to serve as a Traffic Officer in Sussex at the time Bumstorm was a senior officer there. Described him as a fanatical pain in the derrière.

I don’t buy the pollution argument in Wales, one of the least densely populated regions in the UK

these restrictions are political dogma, exercised by fanatical folks

A friend of mine had the misfortune to serve as a Traffic Officer in Sussex at the time Bumstorm was a senior officer there. Described him as a fanatical pain in the derrière.
That who "zero tolerance" approach to speeding is a bit of a nonsense. - We got fined for 31mph in a 30mph zone in Sandycroft.

On the M4 from just east of j43 to j41 there's a 50mph limit in the name of noise pollution.I drive at an indicated 54mph,usually following a hgv or white van driver.It amuses me when I see a number of drivers slowing to 45mph as they are approaching a average speed camera.🤔

OMG - here comes another spew of conspiracy theories..... :wallbash:

No. Why would it be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom