Things have changed since I was a lad (or lass)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Today I had one of those moments when I realised just how much has changed in few decades. Have you had any similar moments?

First thing tomorrow Mrs D will be going into hospital for a few days, very short notice but thankfully nothing too serious. So today I was briefed on school lunches, and it went something like this.

"Toby just has something simple,
so a wrap with ham, lettuce, cucumber,
with a drizzle of balsamic glaze
"​

A drizzle of balsamic glaze!? He's eight! And apparently that's something simple for a school lunch!

Sounds gourmet to me!

I used to hate packed lunches for Monday school.

My Mum would bung whatever was leftover from the weekend in a sandwich.

Parma ham wasn't normal in the 70s.

Ever seen the size of a homemade scotch egg with a hen's egg?

You're so very right Rob.

We've just completed a refurb of our 11 year old daughter's Bedroom & EN-SUITE!!!

Ant.

Ever seen the size of a homemade scotch egg with a hen's egg?

About the size of one of those indoor "soft" American footballs!! I could eat one for tea tonight...

Another thing is 95% of the kids walked/bused it to school 'when I were a lad'

Nowadays it seems 95% of kids get chauffeured

You're so very right Rob.

We've just completed a refurb of our 11 year old daughter's Bedroom & EN-SUITE!!!

Ant.

Ant, now that's posh!

I feel sorry for her future husband, having to meet the same high standards! Or is that the reason for for installing an en-suite??!! :D

She's a lucky girl having an en-suite, and an even luckier girl to have such a loving family. Good for you Ant.

I've told her she's only allowed to marry if her future in-laws are land owners.

In return for our daughters hand in marriage I'm prepared to accept an ample size building plot.

You don't see petrified white dog poo on the pavement any more.

It may be that all Petrified White Dogs have been eliminated.
A Petrified dog of any colour wouldn't be much use as a guard dog, would it?

In return for our daughters hand in marriage I'm prepared to accept an ample size building plot.

You'll be lucky - our daughter's wedding 2 years ago COST us the price of a piece of land (or the cost of my 20ft x 16ft garage at the last house!)

You'll be lucky - our daughter's wedding 2 years ago COST us the price of a piece of land (or the cost of my 20ft x 16ft garage at the last house!)

Shes 11 Chris. Hopefully by the time she's ready for marriage the tradition of the brides parents paying for the wedding will be well and truely gone. ;)

Just read your OP to Mrs Ant and daughter Rob. Apparently all kids have these's 'simple' packed lunches nowadays. A 'Cream Tea' packed lunch in a personalised wicker basket is the norm. :D

40 years + ago my pack lunch consisted of cornbeef or spam sometimes jam butties when times where tuff, and a peace of Manchester tart or bakewell tart and if mum had spare penny's we'd all get a wagon wheel, that's when wagon wheels was at least 19" :D and a cream egg was the size of your palm :p

I've told her she's only allowed to marry if her future in-laws are land owners.

Daughter no.1 has just started "dating" and chap who owns a brewery. Unfortunately said brewery is in New Zealand. :doh:

40 years + ago my pack lunch consisted of cornbeef or spam sometimes jam butties when times where tuff, and a peace of Manchester tart or bakewell tart and if mum had spare penny's we'd all get a wagon wheel, that's when wagon wheels was at least 19" :D and a cream egg was the size of your palm :p

We only got the butties...but that was 48 years ago youngster.

Such fun to be had with that stuff when I was a young lad.

I'd have the really young ones queuing up as I shouted "The Milky Bars are on me!"

I know I'm gonna cop it when my time comes. :(

I'd heard this was because of advances in dog food - something about bonemeal being removed.

Nobody licks the palms of their hands and sorts your hair out as you go to leave the house. I suspect if I tried to do so with my teenage daughters I may end up the worse for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom