Things I miss about my w202 on my new s205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
Having had my new car for a bit and my old c230k about to join the great crusher in the sky come 26.10.21, I set out the things I miss:-
1 The aircon and ventilation buttons on the s205 are all the same size and shape in a big line. The w202 system was much easier to adjust without having to look if I was pressing the right button or turning the correct dial.
2 The lockall doors button on the w202 centre console is no longer there so the pasenger cannot lock the car unless they stretch right over to the driver's door.
3 There is no longer enough space for a spare tire under the boot floor which means on long trips, I will have to keep a spare tire on a roof rack or have it inside the boot in a tire bag.
4 My s205 centre screen isnot a touch screen and the centre pointy dial thing can take ages to react. I used to have a kenwood KVT627DVD headunit and a KNA-G520 satnav which were better than my MB system from the navigation ease of use point of view. I am ripping my kenwood unit out of the old car and keeping it, and maybe also the AMG 17" style 2 alloys. The old car is only good for spares as it is a typical rusty 1990's era MB. The number plate MBC230K will go on retention.
5 The economy of the new 2 litre engine with 7 speed auto is at least 40% more efficient than my old 2.3 litre engine with 5 speed auto. I will be sorry to see the old C230K go, but that's life after 230k miles and 22 years of ownership.
6 I miss the w202's mono wiper as it was just so cool and even lasted the full 22 years with a helping grease now and again.
Next year, once the Russian family visa's are sorted out (12m visa maybe possible) and a very long trip to the south and east may be possible.
7 The s205's economy mode makes costing downhill at 700rpm very easy and helps fuel consumption immensely, as does the alternator which disengages when not charging the battery.
8 The air conditioner unit appears a bit asthmatic compared to the c230k which was ice cold when cranked up. I used to be able to get condensation on the outside of the windscreen at the bottom.
9 I have not yet worked out how to convince the s205 to auto close its windows when I lock the car. In the C230K it was a simple press and hold on the key lock button but I think its more complicated now. Further research needed.

Doubtless I will think of more, but it is staggering how much has changed in 18 years (s205 is a 16 plate car).
Overall I am satisfied with my exlease bargain.

I moved from E Class 1998 to the C Class and my observations are the same as yours 👍

Two additional points,

1. New engine sounds rougher and is more coarse than the old petrols due to direct injection making a slightly diesel like sound.

2. The 205 C class is about the same length as the 1998 E class since it's grown in size, but what did they do with the interior space? Way smaller boot, and way less rear leg room .

I’ve no idea if this works. Just thought I’d have a look in TFM and see if I could find something, I hope it helps.
Right, have now tried ‘convenience’ opening and closing of windows and panoramic roof via the key, and it works a treat!

I moved from E Class 1998 to the C Class and my observations are the same as yours 👍

Two additional points,

1. New engine sounds rougher and is more coarse than the old petrols due to direct injection making a slightly diesel like sound.

2. The 205 C class is about the same length as the 1998 E class since it's grown in size, but what did they do with the interior space? Way smaller boot, and way less rear leg room .

We moved from an S203 C230 (2.5 V6) to the S205 C300. The V6 was a much sweeter engine, but economy and performance are way better from the C300's 4-pot. Totally agree about the sound though :)

We don't really use the back seats, but having done a number of runs to the tip with them down the total space in the S205 is significantly up on the S203.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom