Things to do in Bruges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Taff814

Car
C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Auto
Off to Bruges for the Christmas Market 9/10 December. Whilst there we plan to go to the chocolate museum. Is there anywhere else worth a visit? I don't plan to drive from the time we arrive at the hotel early Saturday until we leave on Sunday afternoon so any excursions should be local.
Any recommendations for restaurants?
And what about duty-free shopping? Best places?
I'll be travelling by ferry Dover-Dunkirk.

Off to Bruges for the Christmas Market 9/10 December. Whilst there we plan to go to the chocolate museum. Is there anywhere else worth a visit? I don't plan to drive from the time we arrive at the hotel early Saturday until we leave on Sunday afternoon so any excursions should be local.
Any recommendations for restaurants?
And what about duty-free shopping? Best places?
I'll be travelling by ferry Dover-Dunkirk.

Planning Christmas already...............it's only 18th May!

One restaurant recommendation: Ribs 'n Beer at #50 Ezelstraat. Serves exactly what the name suggests, and does it possibly better than any other restaurant in Europe. You will need to book as it's very popular (and justifiably so).

If you have a couple of hours free then a tour of the De Halve Maan Brewery is interesting and informative.

Well it depends upon your interests.

I used to go there quite often when i was an exchange student in nearby Lille many years ago now!!
In summer I used to like to camp out in the side of Lak Van Loppen with my Norton Commando.
Since you are going to be there in the Christmas period, the canal boat tour has to be a must with all the Christmas light decorations on.
Being an art enthusiast there are a number of galleries/museums worth a visit from my own perspective !
If you have a wife -significant other with you, the attraction interest might well change!

Take a look:-
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/belgium/articles/the-top-10-things-to-do-and-see-in-bruges/

All the best
TV

Don't do the chip (frites) museum, that's 2 hours of my life I will never get back. Even the restaurant served rubbish frites.

There is the highest point in Bruges, a church tower in the centre that is well worth the walk up.

If you like beer, find a small cosy bar that sells lots of them and try a few of different types. Here I had my first Lambic fruit beer and it was a revelation.

Frites from a stand, rather than a shop. See where the Belgians are queuing.

A few years back I went over Christmas time and they were doing a special "shoppers" train special from Bruxelles for about €5 return. However nothing can beat the 4p total for 2 people return flights from Stansted courtesy of Ryanair!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Thanks to you all for your replies. I'm thinking that I should have loosened my wallet slightly more and coughed up for 2 nights

Bruges is such a charming city.

't Zwart Huis is one of my favourite places that I always go back to. It's a lively bistro just a few minutes walk from the 'Markt' square. They usually have live jazz / blues playing and the food is bloody excellent. I thoroughly recommend it.

You don't know it's there unless you know it's there.

jgmreg.jpg

If you do drive to Bruges then I recommend travelling on the roads as close to the coast as you can from Calais and drive through Ostend.

One restaurant recommendation: Ribs 'n Beer at #50 Ezelstraat. Serves exactly what the name suggests, and does it possibly better than any other restaurant in Europe. You will need to book as it's very popular (and justifiably so).

If you have a couple of hours free then a tour of the De Halve Maan Brewery is interesting and informative.

Bit late to the party but this. The ribs are unlimited and the meat falls off the bone. I will go back!

The brewery tour at De Halve Maan is also good. The beer at the end is very nice, not filtered etc so it's as it comes from the barrel. Bruges Zot is the beer.

Hi,
I would recommend finding this place on a narrow side street :thumb:

we did and had great food with friendly service, just don't be in a rush, although it could have been us chatting toooooo much during the meal, still found time for a beer in a bar later :bannana:

Bring us back some chocolate from the museum last time there we came away with about 4kg and had many an hour making chocs back home

Malesherbes Brugge

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom