Things you find in your garden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Man recalls moment spitfire plane was buried in back garden in Meopham

I live next to the former Detling Aerodrome and the surrounding area is peppered with crash remains from both sides of the war. My neighbour had a Hurricane crash into his barn (Pilot survived). The wreckage of this sprayed out over the adjacent fields as well as flattening his barn at the time.

Last edited:
Bruce we had 2 planes crash in to the Wyreforest .You can find parts of it now ,screws and alloy ,and the engine block .The pilot of one of them was a Polish woman ,.She was in a Spitfire, and on her way back to Bristol , or some local repair shop to get the plane repaired ,she never got there Poor girl she crashed in the woods just above Bewdley .She is in the church yard at Bewdley One was a Spitfire other a Lancaster. I have seen the spot .I did a Google on it to find the location .

We have a ME109 that crashed in the woods adjacent to my property. Rather bizarrely when the wreck site was excavated no remains were found. But some very personal artefacts were discovered - Belgian Coins, Gloves, Goggles etc.

I did a lot of research on the pilot. The Germans listed him as "missing captured" The British listed him as "missing killed". Whatever became of him? He never surfaced again either during or after the war.

Some say that most likely explanation is that his remains were found when his aircraft was excavated. These were then re-buried to avoid the coroners court and any possible charges being levied on the diggers.

Another neighbour had (for many years) the radio set from a ME109 in his garage. That was removed as a trophy at the time of the crash. The pilot survived the crash, landing in his parachute which hung up from the local church tower until rescued by the Home Guard.

Last edited:
I have a metal detector, and have found lots of bullets, cap badges, old coins, and even a tin of unopened painted salmon tin......

I've always wanted a metal detector... A friend of mine bought one for his little goddaughter, then buried chocolate buttons with some screws so she could find them.

As the lass was six, it was a quick bury in the packet Bruce, as you very well know!

I remember watching Why Don't You during school holidays in the 1970s. The basic idea was that they would show kids things they could do rather than sitting in front of the TV and they featured children involved in various hobbies and activities.

In one episode, they showed a group of children who must have lived in the Kent or Sussex area who used to spend time foraging in woods and undergrowth for aircraft fragments from the aerial battles that had taken place overhead some 35 years previously.

They had collections of various pieces of aluminium, many with paint (which looked suspiciously fresh) still on them. I was quite envious as all you would find in the bushes and hedgerows around our way would be a rusty old bucket and dog poo.

I remember watching Why Don't You during school holidays in the 1970s. The basic idea was that they would show kids things they could do rather than sitting in front of the TV and they featured children involved in various hobbies and activities.

In one episode, they showed a group of children who must have lived in the Kent or Sussex area who used to spend time foraging in woods and undergrowth for aircraft fragments from the aerial battles that had taken place overhead some 35 years previously.

They had collections of various pieces of aluminium, many with paint (which looked suspiciously fresh) still on them. I was quite envious as all you would find in the bushes and hedgerows around our way would be a rusty old bucket and dog poo.

And Penthouse magazine.

Brian 1 said:
I have a metal detector, and have found lots of bullets, cap badges, old coins, and even a tin of unopened painted salmon tin......

lisa110rry said:
I've always wanted a metal detector... A friend of mine bought one for his little goddaughter, then buried chocolate buttons with some screws so she could find them.

You guys lead amazingly exciting lives, how I wished that some-one I knew would have bought me a metal detector. It was all I ever wanted when I was in prison. All we could ever afford was a government issue fork made of tin.

I remember back in 1950 a relation of mine had a metal detector of some sort, that he get from Japan, but my grandmother told me that he get killed using it, when he discovered that the big this beside the trigger was made from uranium. This was typical of Japanese, cheap imported toys in those days, you just didn't know what they were made off.

I happen to know, because I have studied the subject long and hard, that rabbits and badgers hide down exceedingly deep burrows, when they hear people coming with metal detectors, or as we call them in our house because we are sophisticated "Metallsuchgerät". Badgers are particularly nervous of metallsuchgerats [see, I know how to use this work in German as well as English] because they think that it some sort of strange sex toy, and it inevitably ends badly. So they are inclined to run away, just in case anyone is wondering why they never catch badgers, or rabbits, with a metal detector [or metallsuchgerat].

For more information, please read my latest book "Discovering Rabbits, Badgers And Other Dangerous Wildlife With A Metal Detector [or Metallsuchgerat]", issued 2016, by Donkeyknob Press, Johannesburg. Price - £29.99.

parkman

And Penthouse magazine.

Ha Ha, I remember coming across, sorry finding a very substantial stash in woods near my parents all nicely wrapped up in plastic. It was someone's entire stash and pretty strong stuff.

Kent it hidden in my dads folded tent in the garage, until my mum decided to put the tent up in the garden to check it was OK prior to a camping holiday!

S

30 years ago my first dog kept finding scraps of old bone to play with in the garden. It wasn't till she wandered into the kitchen with a skull that we realised she'd dug up the previous occupants' dog, which had apparently been buried under the tree at the end of the garden.

Parkman! You have ascribed to me your own ability with the German language by writing within the quotes!!! Furthermore, I was not born until several years after 1950!!!

Parkman! You have ascribed to me your own ability with the German language by writing within the quotes!!! Furthermore, I was not born until several years after 1950!!!

Ah-ha, that fact that you recognised that I have fluency in German leads me to believe that you were, in fact, born during the 1940's !!!

Only Russian spies or German soldiers [ or Wehrmacht, as we call them in our house, because we are double-jointed [ehhhh ???] can easily recognise this very rarely used language.

I am off to do some research in another tome that I wrote, "The Importance Of Recognising Very Rarely Used Foreign Languages; or Self Survival In Mongolia", Volume 4, Publish by Flatulent Editions Publishing, London, 1957. Price £24,000.
[Volumes 1 - 3, and Volumes 5-28 are now out of print.]

parkman

What happened to volume 4?

Volume 4 is the undiscovered volume of "The Interminable Secrets Of The Otterman Scientologists", which has not been discovered yet.

I am presently researching its' whereabouts in Volume 4, which I found in my neighbours' garden shed.

When I finally discover the whereabouts of the long-lost, very interesting tome, then I will send pictures of my discovery to The Sun. [See Volume 4 for details].

parkman

What happened to volume 4?

"I am off to do some research in another tome that I wrote, "The Importance Of Recognising Very Rarely Used Foreign Languages; or Self Survival In Mongolia", Volume 4, Publish by Flatulent Editions Publishing, London, 1957. Price £24,000.
[Volumes 1 - 3, and Volumes 5-28 are now out of print.]"

Volume 4, mentioned here, has been re-enumerated as Volume 3.1, so that the possibility now exists for the previously mentioned Volume 4 to be replaced by a soon to be discovered Volume 4.

The inaudible condition of Volume 4 is more than compensated for by the inexhaustible activity of the sub-Saharan Koala bears looking for deleted terms of reference in the Volume 4 index.

Volume 4 will be well worth searching out. Or it can be purchased from me at the discounted price of £1,200,000.

parkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom