Things You Must Do In Belgium.......??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WDB124066

MB Enthusiast
Car
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
Looks like I'll be spending a bit of time in the Low Countries and was wondering if there is anything I must see and do whilst there.......

Pop over to England and meet us lot.

Are you around for Olly's GTG. I'm sure he could squeeze in a well traveled member.

wondering if there is anything I must see and do whilst there.......

Stay away from Broxxels

That might be a good idea, when is Olly's GTG, mid May.....??

Stay away from Broxxels
Actually, I was going to suggest the opposite :)

Suggestions:
  • Visit the Atomium to see what the future looked like in the 1950's
  • Spend an afternoon sitting outside one of the bars around the Grand Place and take in the great architecture (and the great beer, of course)
  • Visit the Spa Francorchamps circuit to see why it's one of the best circuits in the world
  • Visit Tyne Cot Cemetary to see how the victors commemorated their dead from WWI
  • Visit Langemarck to see how the vanquished commemorated theirs
  • Visit the "Trench of Death" at Diksmuide to get a (much sanitised) perspective of trench warfare
  • Watch the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate in Ypres (8pm every evening)
  • Drink lots of great beer (sorry, had to mention that again :D )

They say Brugge is quite nice too........??

As above, plus Antwerp is worth seeing. And as others have said, the beer is good. Very good. And the mussels. With frites and mayonnaise. Don't miss the beer. And the chocolate isn't too shabby. Oh, and did I mention the beer?

Belgian trivia spot: I seem to recall that Belgium was the last country in western Europe to introduce a driving test.

Ooh, frites with mayonnaise - forgot to mention those. I've found it to be physically impossible to visit Belgium without consuming some (OK, lots) :rock:

There's also a weird bar in Brussels, just off the Grand Place, called Le Cerceuil which is decorated with skulls, coffins and other things associated with death. The tables are coffins (hence Le Cerceuil) and you can drink beer out of skull-shaped glasses. The drinks are expensive, but it's worth having just the one in there to see the decor.

There's also a weird bar in Brussels, just off the Grand Place, called Le Cerceuil which is decorated with skulls, coffins and other things associated with death. The tables are coffins (hence Le Cerceuil) and you can drink beer out of skull-shaped glasses. The drinks are expensive, but it's worth having just the one in there to see the decor.

Been there, but don't remember too much about it, other than that it was actually recommended to us by the barman at another place nearby. :crazy:

May also be worth visiting The Mercedes House in Grand Sablon, depending what they have there at the time. When we went, they had one of those twin-engined W168s on display, plus a sit-in F1 simulator. They also do decent meals there, and have lots of MB models/trinkets for sale.

A quirky souvenir from my visit to The Mercedes House:

mercedeshouse.jpg

Belgium is the only country in the world with a fully lit motorway network :)

Visit McAuley square in Bastogne; named after General McAuley who gave the famous "nuts" reply to the Germans, during the Battle of the Bulge, Dec 1944.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom