Things you would like but can't get anymore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I also now have to get out of my car as a respectable lady would, swing both legs out first, grab hold of the door and heave, its embarrassing :doh:

There's a SUV/Crossover out there with a raised seating position that will make your life a whole lot easier. IMO, it's why they are so popular with the elderly.

There's a SUV/Crossover out there with a raised seating position that will make your life a whole lot easier. IMO, it's why they are so popular with the elderly.
Yup 100% that is how I ended up owning my mother in laws Vauxhaull Astra, she had a hard time getting out of it so she bought herself something higher......a Mitsubishi Shogun !! Not for its off road prowess or towing capacity, but because it was easy to get in in and out of !.. Wimmen 'eh ?

After that she went to a Toyota Yaris 🤷‍♂️ she has now given up driving and the Yaris is mine.

We usually end up with an SUV as a hire car in Spain and the seating position is a lot better, however being LHD I still have to do the ladylike thing to get in and out because I have trouble with my right hip.

Be ok in the UK though but it is almost an admission of defeat and I am not ready to give in just yet.

And to think it is not that many years ago I had a Westfield.

Little polystyrene glider kits in a waxy paper envelope which used to be available to buy from newsagents for around 10 pence.

I remember walking in, smelling the paper and ink from the Sunday papers. Had to get there early as they closed before lunchtime.

On the way home I’d stop, and slot the wings into the body, and propellor on the nose and pretend to fly it home.

Wonderful little things. Seems ridiculously cheap now but even then they were great value for hours of pleasure.

Eventually and no matter how careful you were, they would usually succumb to irreparable damage.

“Daaaaad, can I have 10p?”.
The Vikingar Centre in Largs certainly still sold them when last I was there , last year . Our local co-op also sold them . Again end of last year , before I moved .

We usually end up with an SUV as a hire car in Spain and the seating position is a lot better, however being LHD I still have to do the ladylike thing to get in and out because I have trouble with my right hip.

Be ok in the UK though but it is almost an admission of defeat and I am not ready to give in just yet.

And to think it is not that many years ago I had a Westfield.
I've done the Seven type kittie car too - nightmare!
Since my smart fortwo though, I don't think I'd go back to even a 'conventional' seat height. Not just the ease of getting in and out but the vantage point. 'Conventional' that I have driven since getting used to the smart I just don't like being that low anymore.
It's not an admission of defeat - just advantages that can be had by all - hence the popularity of the SUV/crossovers. For you though, maybe a difficulty would be finding one with the attributes of your E-Class without going full 4WD - and ending up having to climb up to get into.

It's not an admission of defeat - just advantages that can be had by all - hence the popularity of the SUV/crossovers. For you though, maybe a difficulty would be finding one with the attributes of your E-Class without going full 4WD - and ending up having to climb up to get into.

I have had an E Class for the last 15 years and I must admit I love the feel of a having a big solid car around you and they are ideally suited to automatic.

As much as I enjoy driving a manual SUV on holiday for a change, I am always grateful to get back into my own car. I think I will be living with an E Class for a few more years yet.

Sorry about the thread drift :)

Good news is Smokey Bacon are on way back.

Reply from Walkers saying they had limited manufacturing to the more popular ones but are now back on the case.

Silence when getting up out of a seat, or climbing out from under the car 😄 😄

......ooooof!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom