Think Bike video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I saw this on PH, it's worth sharing. It makes for tough viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2xStb0R-c

[YOUTUBE]xq2xStb0R-c[/YOUTUBE]

Hard-hitting footage of a fatal collision in Norfolk has been released by police in a bid to get motorcyclists and drivers to think seriously about road safety.

The dramatic film, captured on a headcam fitted to the rider’s helmet, shows the moment a car crosses into the path of Norwich motorcyclist David Holmes who was killed on the A47 at Honingham in June last year.

David’s story, a video featuring clips including the collision as well as an interview with his mother Brenda, has been produced by police with the full support of all his family, who hope the campaign will prevent further deaths.

The 38-year-old had been travelling at about 97mph at the time of the collision.

A motorcycle hearse carrying David Holmes, who died in a motorcycle crash on the A47, arrives at his funeral at St Faiths Crematorium with a cavalcade of bikers.
PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY
While he was travelling above the speed limit the driver admitted to police in interview that he had not seen David, nor a car behind the motorcycle, prior to the collision.

Chief Inspector Chris Spinks, head of the Norfolk and Suffolk Roads Policing Unit, said the video was hard-hitting and understood public opinion would be divided.

He said: “The video is shocking; however this is the reality of fatal collisions. The emotions people may experience after seeing this video can only touch the surface of those feelings that families and friends go through when losing a loved one in this way.

“The consequences of fatal collisions are devastating for all involved and as such our message though education has to reflect this.

“I firmly believe this footage is powerful enough to make riders and drivers think about their behaviour on the road; and most important of all, change it for the better.

“I understand releasing such footage will divide opinion; David’s family are in full support of the material being released and we’ve worked closely with his mother Brenda to ensure this is achieved in an effective and sensitive way.

“The causes of collisions are almost always the result of driver or rider behaviour. Motorists, be it on two wheels or four, need to take responsibility for their actions.

“I would urge riders and drivers to think about their behaviour and what changes they could make to improve their own safety and that of others on the road.

“I’m confident this campaign will make people take time to think about their actions on the roads and allow David’s family to take something positive out of this tragic event.

“The aim of releasing this footage is not to achieve agreement from the public; it’s about delivering messages around road safety and how deaths can be prevented.

“I welcome the fact it will create debate and, in my view, this will get people talking about road safety; their actions behind the wheel or on a bike and it will go some way to achieving our aims.”

David had been travelling from King’s Lynn towards Norwich when the collision happened at the crossroads with Woods Lane and Berrys Lane.

The driver of the Renault, who admitted not seeing David or the car travelling behind, was prosecuted in April.

While David was travelling above the speed limit, a number of other drivers had seen both the motorbike and the other car.

Ch Insp Spinks added: “We know from the footage that David was travelling up to 100mph. Regardless of the speed of the bike, the car manoeuvre should not have been attempted.

“Clearly, he was taking a risk and has paid the ultimate price. The majority of bikers ride responsibly however, I’m sure many will relate to the riding style seen in this video.

“We know motorcyclists are a vulnerable group and this sad case is a reminder to all roads users to be alert to what is going on around you and to lower your speed.”

David’s mother Brenda, a retired nurse who lives in North Walsham, said she hoped that by telling her story, she could help prevent another family going through the heartache they had and continue to experience.

She said: “I want to be involved in this campaign because I feel something positive can come out of his loss. If we can prevent one accident; one family going through what we have been through then David would not have died in vain.

“I know he rode fast that day, he loved speed but he also loved life. This hasn’t been an easy thing to do but I just hope that somebody benefits from the warning; that people slow down and take time to look for bikes.

“I’m not a perfect driver, I’ve done silly things sometimes and I’ve been lucky to get away with them, David wasn’t lucky, the driver wasn’t lucky.”

Brenda has seen the footage and said one of the saddest things for her is that he could see what was going to happen.

She said: “He must have had a moment of fear at the end of his life; I find that very hard to deal with. David was the most wonderful son and his loss has left such a void in our lives.

“Being without him has changed everything; our lives ended that day and I can truly say I know the meaning of heartache, it really does hurt; it’s a physical pain.”

Last edited:
David's mother is clearly a very loving and compassionate person; to go through what she and her family have had to deal with and to still have the strength of character to try to help others not to suffer the same by agreeing to showing the moment her son died shows a true and noble generosity of spirit

Hopefully this thread will not denigrate into one where members criticise him for speeding as the message from his mother is worth so much more.

A very powerful video indeed ,

I showed this too a work friend who also rides bikes , he was shaking after watching .

Makes you think

I was talking to a lady who had her two young grandchildren (about 5 +6 at the time) with her. Every time the kids saw a helicopter, they would point and shout, "Mummy and Daddy!" It broke her heart every time, understandably.
Her son and D-I-L were out for a bike ride……you get the rest.

Last edited:
Chalpkin said:
There but for the grace of God go I!

That's a shocker of a road safety campaign video.

I think every biker on here will have had a close call where circumstances resemble this. Having shattered my leg I no longer ride on the road. Miss it though :(

massive respect for the mother, unfortunately see this too often through work and see what it does to families, especially parents who have lost their children. hopefully this makes both bikers and car drivers think!

A tragic end to a promising life .

That incident shows lessons to be learned on both sides , as each party played a part in what came about . Not singling either party out , but either of them could have done something to avoid this event :

had the car driver only been looking a bit further , and trying to expect the unexpected ; car drivers need to appreciate that , notwithstanding speed limits , some vehicles DO travel at very high speeds and can arrive very quickly

had the biker only been going a little bit slower on the approach to the junction , not quite so far above the speed of other traffic ; both bikers and fast car drivers need to remember that most 'ordinary' car drivers simply won't be expecting traffic to be coming at speeds significantly higher than the majority of other traffic , and won't look further than they would need to , to avoid traffic driving within the speed range of normal traffic .

Having seen the video , I feel for the biker and his loved ones , but I can't bring myself to condemn either driver over what happened .

Edit , just to add that we should spare some thoughts for the car driver who will have been shocked by what happened and will have to live with the consequences of this incident for the rest of his/her life . I didn't read anything to say whether or not the car driver was injured , but being hit head on by a bike at that speed can do a lot of damage ; at the very least the car driver will suffer ongoing mental trauma and will probably relive that moment in their mind over and over for the rest of their life ( I was involved in a non-fault head-on collision back in 1978 when I was hit by a car overtaking round a blind bend , and I can still see in slow motion that car coming towards me , the driver with his arms crossed in front of his face just before impact ; he wasn't killed but was seriously injured , despite both of us being in cars ) .

Last edited:
I used to ride like the guy in that video and, I suspect, most riders do - it's the visceral thrill that makes biking so different from driving a car.

I think that it is only due to good luck that, before something like that happened to me, my brother persuaded me to go on an advanced riding course.

I think every bike rider will watch that and say "there but for the grace of God...".

Without the extra training, though, I would have struggled to spot the danger, as - clearly - did this rider. It really should be compulsory for all road users.

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to watch the video.

Back in the day I took my Kawasaki GPZ1000RX at warp speed one Sunday morning on the M4 and realised that this was the machine I would kill myself on should I keep it. The following week I changed to four wheels.

I've been reading about this on the Institute of Advance Motorists page on FB. It included a link to the BBC report on the incident: BBC News - David Holmes: Head-cam footage of motorcyclist's fatal crash

I can only hope that many of the contributors to that page aren't IAM members because their lack of understanding is frightening. They're sympathetic but put the "blame" (their word, not mine) clearly on the motorcyclist because he was going too fast. They fail to see the whole picture.

I'm totally in accord with Pontoneer's words from here earlier: "either of them could have done something to avoid this event ... had the car driver only been looking a bit further , and trying to expect the unexpected" Both of them needed to have been doing that. We all need to do that.

I can't bring myself to watch the video.

Why is that, there is nothing gory in it? It's sad for this fellows family, more-so for the car driver, but far more shocking things happen in life.

Some new signage has sprung up near us on the A6. Its up a lampost and works in the same way as the signs that "flash up" your speed. It does not flash up your speed though but an image of a motorcyclist in a hunkered down racing position going at some chat (it would appear) and it says "think bike" Well no - "think car" Mr speeding biker and wind your wrist back and your neck in. This is in a 40 limit BTW. Right I expect incoming - so lets be 'aving you.

i know i am new here, but having seen the video and the speed he was travelling at on that busy road with lots of junctions it sadly was only a matter of time. it will help hopefully slow bikers down and make them think about the speed they choose to go, it is a terrible shame a young man died but he was going 100mph on a busy road and was relying on others seeing him and being able to judge the speed he was going at, and that is pretty fool hard i think

he could have killed the driver of that car had they moved a bit futher forward. thankfully he did not.

A very powerful video...maybe footage such as this should be shown and studied during biker training...
Regarding car drivers, we should be aware to expect the unexpected, unfortunately hard to prevent due to the many variable factors that each potential RTA situation brings...
I do applaud the family for releasing this to the public in the hope it will prevent others from suffering a similar fate...

A very powerful video...maybe footage such as this should be shown and studied during biker training...
Regarding car drivers, we should be aware to expect the unexpected, unfortunately hard to prevent due to the many variable factors that each potential RTA situation brings...
I do applaud the family for releasing this to the public in the hope it will prevent others from suffering a similar fate...

drivers should try to expect the un expected, but so should bikers, he did not consider this when approaching a junction at nearly 100mph and did not anticipate someone would be in manouver, or beginning an manvoure.

with learner drivers, farm traffic, new inexperiened drivers, lorries, old drivers with bad eyesight and being so vulnerable on a bike you have to place a significant amount on the blame on the deceased as this sort of unanticipating driver was not in his driving plans by the looks of the video

but i do respect his mother for showing this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom