Think I may have problems with turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc drivrer

Car
2002 220 cdi classic
Hi guys

Think I may Have problems with turbo. Here's what is happening and also what I have found

Last night while driving car a strange high pitched whistling noise started while accelerating from a standing start once speed levelled of and cruising no noise.

Brought car home an stop in driveway lifted bonnet and could hear a noise like a blow out coming from turbo area and small amount of what seems to exhaust fumes escaping.

This morning stripped out air filter and box, (did notice pipe on front of air filter box had no jubilee clip and was just about in position it merely fell of in my hand) under side of air box is very sooty

Checked all fittings bolts and pipes in and around turbo and exhaust manifold everything seems fine except the one pipe that goes onto the front of the turbo, pipe was loose and jubilee clip was not tight ( remove same pipe and checked blades in turbo and all okay). With this pipe being loose is it possible the exhaust fumes could be escaping from the front of the turbo at this pipe and the whistling noise could be caused by air being sucked into the turbo passed the blades or should I be looking for something else

thanks Jon

A whistling noise and soot indicates a blocked exhaust.

UPDATE

Have put car back together as I said earlier all pipes bolts and connections in and around the turbo and exhaust manifold are in place nothing loose

When car is idling no noise the only thing out of the ordinary is steady white smoke from the exhaust and when engine is revved the noise is like a whizzing sound

As car is driven and I accelerate there is a slight loss of power initially as I accelerate more the whizzing noise becomes more of a high pitched whistling sound

Dieselman.....you say a blocked exhaust can cause this problem, do you mean the front cat and am I correct in saying the front cat is the cylinder behind the turbo were the downpipe connects on to the turbo

thanks Jon

Dieselman.....you say a blocked exhaust can cause this problem, do you mean the front cat and am I correct in saying the front cat is the cylinder behind the turbo were the downpipe connects on to the turbo

Yes.

Try disconnecting the exhaust at the turbo flange then go for a drive.

Thanks guy for the input car is going to my local indie in the morning, I will mention what use have said

Dieselman......can a blocked exhaust or cat be cleaned or am I looking at a new one

I will give an update tomorrow and let you know what we come across

Jon

If the cat is blocked it will because the ceramic has broken up and shifted. Just empty the unit out and forget it.

UPDATE

We did find the cat was not broken or shifted but was blocked up solid with soot removed the cat from the pipe re fitted this has cleared the leak and blow back where the front pipe meets the turbo

Still have a distinct lack of power when accelerating until car reaches cruising speed

The whistling noise is now a hissing

Turbo does try to kick in when accelerating but again not until cruising speed is reached

Should we be looking are either the EGR OR MAF side of things

Thanks Jon

You have checked the intercooler pipes for splits?

first look is all hoses seem fine but there is a distinct noise of either air escaping or air being sucked

going back on the ramp in half hour will check all hoses pipes and clips etc

Is the middle box on the exhaust also a CAT??

Could it is also be blocked or collapsed??

will keep use updated

:bannana: PROBLEM SOLVED :bannana:

Last night we eventually found the problem

After checking all intercooler and boost hoses we cold find no fault, car was sitting on ramp ticking over and we could see the exhaust was having problems breathing at back box.

Disconnected back box and we still had the same problem, disconnect at front pipe, and hissing whistling noise stopped and car breathing fine.

Not only was the front CAT at the turbo blocked but the secondary CAT had completely collapsed. We cut this section of the exhaust out completely made up a new straight through pipe......hey presto problem gone

Car now is now completely de - catted goes like sh*te of a shovel we reckon ( without testing ) car has gained somewhere between 10 and 20 BHP

Thanks for all the help along the way

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom