Think I'm after a w221 s320. Does this sound right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
V8, mmmm. Haven't been in a W221 V8 but that's got to be damn good.

I've been in my neighbour's W220 S500L a few times and that is a fine car , although I know he's had a couple of large bills to do with strut failure in the suspension !

I personally would not want to risk a W220. Lovely as they are, I do find them a bit Japanese in feel and they seem to have a lot of problems. Not the finest years for MB quality wise I don't think. Great features and drive though, as you'd expect from an S class.

I've only driven the six cylinder petrol w220 though, my friends one.

thanks guys, I've done a bit of reading about and searching out options and that makes things a bit clearer for me.

Something classic and older like an R129 misses the point for me. I have a busy life and a 120mile round trip to the office and want to make that part of my day as relaxing and stress free as possible, which means as quiet and refined as possible and with the assistance of gadgets like distronic and multi function seats.
Also I'm not looking for an investment. I'm looking to buy a 10 year old luxury car for around 10% of it's original cost and run it for a couple of years. If I lose a couple of grand a year in depreciation and spend a couple of grand a year keeping it running, it's still cost me less than going and buying a new mondeo or vauxhall.

I do like the look of the CLS and it seems to be in the right budget, but from a quick look, they seem far less likely to have been specced up with stuff like distronic compared to the S class, the interior controls appear (from a rough glance at a few pics) to be from a previous era compared to the modern command-focussed computer-driven interfaces of the w221 S class. I also guess that a CLS would come second compared to a W221 S class in terms of refinement and luxury? Feel free to correct me, but it seems to have a different focus. Maybe I just need to go and test drive one.

So it looks like the W221 is probably the one for me. I'm gutted I missed out on a really good one a couple of days ago with a huge list of options (distronic, night vision, HK, multicontour seats, AMG kit, D6 remap etc etc etc) full main dealer service history, excellent condition and a good price, but I was an hour or so too slow. bugger....

As for S500 vs S320 CDI, that's a tricky one... I am a petrolhead at heart and I do appreciate a good engine, especially a v8, but I also have a couple of other cars including a track car with a tuned 500bhp 6L v8 in, so I'm perfectly happy to have something more pedestrian for commuting if it saves the equivalent of a half decent bottle of wine per trip to work...
But that said, I have owned enough second hand diesel cars to know that the cost of ownership is a lot more than just fuel and it only takes 1 issue a year with a DPF, turbo vanes, injectors, actuators EGRs etc etc etc to leave you wishing you had something simpler and making that more thirsty, but less complicated petrol engine sometimes a more cost effective choice.
The second hand S500s do seem to be better specced generally speaking too, especially as far as stuff that benefits the driver is concerned. So I'm not so sure there.... Is the S500 insurance generally a load more?
I'm guessing S320 cdi is sort of 36mpg cruising at 85mph and the s500 is closer to 30mpg. Does that sound about right?

thanks all,
James

I have owned both, the W220 S500 LWB and the W221 S320 cdi, I thought the V8 was a much less stressed engine, returning only 10 mpg less than the cdi, when I was looking for a W221, at the time I couldn't find a V8 at all, also a second hand petrol S-Class is less lightly to have been used as a chauffeur car and will more than lightly have more options

Alan

thanks guys, I've done a bit of reading about and searching out options and that makes things a bit clearer for me.

Something classic and older like an R129 misses the point for me. I have a busy life and a 120mile round trip to the office and want to make that part of my day as relaxing and stress free as possible, which means as quiet and refined as possible and with the assistance of gadgets like distronic and multi function seats.
Also I'm not looking for an investment. I'm looking to buy a 10 year old luxury car for around 10% of it's original cost and run it for a couple of years. If I lose a couple of grand a year in depreciation and spend a couple of grand a year keeping it running, it's still cost me less than going and buying a new mondeo or vauxhall.

I do like the look of the CLS and it seems to be in the right budget, but from a quick look, they seem far less likely to have been specced up with stuff like distronic compared to the S class, the interior controls appear (from a rough glance at a few pics) to be from a previous era compared to the modern command-focussed computer-driven interfaces of the w221 S class. I also guess that a CLS would come second compared to a W221 S class in terms of refinement and luxury? Feel free to correct me, but it seems to have a different focus. Maybe I just need to go and test drive one.

So it looks like the W221 is probably the one for me. I'm gutted I missed out on a really good one a couple of days ago with a huge list of options (distronic, night vision, HK, multicontour seats, AMG kit, D6 remap etc etc etc) full main dealer service history, excellent condition and a good price, but I was an hour or so too slow. bugger....

As for S500 vs S320 CDI, that's a tricky one... I am a petrolhead at heart and I do appreciate a good engine, especially a v8, but I also have a couple of other cars including a track car with a tuned 500bhp 6L v8 in, so I'm perfectly happy to have something more pedestrian for commuting if it saves the equivalent of a half decent bottle of wine per trip to work...
But that said, I have owned enough second hand diesel cars to know that the cost of ownership is a lot more than just fuel and it only takes 1 issue a year with a DPF, turbo vanes, injectors, actuators EGRs etc etc etc to leave you wishing you had something simpler and making that more thirsty, but less complicated petrol engine sometimes a more cost effective choice.
The second hand S500s do seem to be better specced generally speaking too, especially as far as stuff that benefits the driver is concerned. So I'm not so sure there.... Is the S500 insurance generally a load more?
I'm guessing S320 cdi is sort of 36mpg cruising at 85mph and the s500 is closer to 30mpg. Does that sound about right?

thanks all,
James

I think it may depend on the engine spec, is it the 5.5l or 4.7l twin turbo. I have had a W221 S500L with 4.7l twin turbo for approx 9 months now, have done more than 8k miles in her. Average which includes a good amount of town and congested driving is 29.2mpg, it was 30.5mpg until recently when I spent a fair few times in really congested situations.

The best I have seen was a 400 mile, 6.5 hour run all within the limits, and she returned 35.8mpg, the engine sits at approx 1,600 rpm at 70 mph with hardly a whisper, (not exactly stretched I would say !!!!)

It really does suit the car extremely well, go for it if you get a chance of a good one would be my advice. BTW in the past one of my previous MB's I had a W126 S420L, also a very nice car in its day, sold her at just coming up for 100k, frankly she was no problem at all, just regular servicing and some consumables.

Thanks again, I found a 2008 s500 with a real high spec, so I've just put a deposit down :)
excited :)

197U - OBSIDIAN BLACK
205B - OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
218 - REAR-VIEW CAMERA
223 - REAR BACK REST ADJUSTMENT AND HEAD RESTRAINTS, ELE
230 - PARKING GUIDANCE
233 - AUTONOMOUS INT. CRUISE CONT. PLUS (DISTRONIC PLUS)
249 - INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
250B - MOBILO LIFE/EUROPE SERVICE PACKAGE
275 - MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
283B - AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
289 - LEATHER STEERING WHEEL WITH TRIM INSERT
308 - REFRIGERATOR IN REAR
383B - BATTERY LABEL - ENGLISH
386 - MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS)
401 - FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL
406 - MULTI-CONTOUR REAR SEAT
414 - ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
427 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
436 - COMFORT HEADREST DRIVER AND FRONTPASSENGER
443 - HEATED STEERING WHEEL
461 - INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
475 - TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) HIGH LINE/MID LINE
47N - STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN/GRAZ
527 - COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
537 - DAB TUNER
537L - GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
540 - ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
551 - ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
581 - AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
595 - HEAT INSULATING+IR REFLECTG.SAFETY GLASS SIDE+REAR
5XXL - EUROPE
600 - HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
610 - NIGHT VIEW ASSIST
616 - BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
619 - CORNERING ILLUMINATION
666 - PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
690 - EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)
770 - AMG 19" SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
800A - LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE
801A - LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
808 - [221] - 20030729 - AEJ 07/1
808 - [722.9] - 20050822 - YOM 17/1
810 - SOUND SYSTEM
814 - DVD CHANGER
817 - SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
863 - TV-TUNER DIGITAL TO ANALOG
872 - REAR SEAT BENCH HEATING LEFT UND RIGHT
875 - HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
876 - INTERIOR LIGHT ASSEMBLY
881 - REMOTE TRUNK LOCKING
882 - INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
883 - POWER CLOSING SYSTEM
885 - HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
889 - KEYLESS - GO
910 - DYNAMO WITH HIGHER CAPACITY (FFO)
91V - SPEED- + LOADINDEX 96Y+101Y
983 - COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 - IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A21 - SHIFT BY WIRE
A22 - NEW CONVERTER GENERATION
A24 - JOINT FLANGE, 4-ARM 120
A38 - M - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS 2
A44 - SOFTWARE 3
A49 - CONVERTER WITH 3 FRICTION DISKS
H03 - TRIM PIECES - WOOD BURRED WALNUT VENEER MATT
K10 - SOFTWARE CONTROL FOR STATIC CURVE ILLUMINATION
K11 - ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K13 - STEUERCODE FUER SERVICEINTERVALL 25000 KM
M273 - V8-GASOLINE ENGINE M273
M55 - CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
NB0 - NEW VEHICLE DOCUMENTS: DAIMLER AG
Q50 - GV - PERFORATION VA-BREMSSCHEIBEN
R01 - SUMMER TIRES
U18 - AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
U60 - PEDESTRIAN PROTECTION - ACTIVE ENGINE HOOD
U72 - DVD PLAYER WITH REGIONAL CODE 2, EUROPE, JAPAN
197U - OBSIDIAN BLACK
801A - LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
M273 - V8-GASOLINE ENGINE M273

Thanks again, I found a 2008 s500 with a real high spec, so I've just put a deposit down :)
excited :)

Looks like a good spec although I have no idea what is standard and what is optional as yet.

I think this is my preferred choice of next steed as well!

Same here, made the mistake of letting Mrs JB drive a 2013 s350cdi lwb that we cant really justify or afford!!!

James , good luck with your new car .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom